These are the toma Tomato varieties I have
1 Black Russian Tomato(Roma Shape),
2 health kicks(Roma Shape),
1 Grosse Lisse,
1 Mellow Yellow(Big yellow colour),
1 sweet cherry gold(small yellow),
1 Bragger(HUGE tomato, over 500grams),
1 cherry peach tomato(peach colour)
1 tumbler cherry tomato(slightly larger than the sweet cherry gold)

There currently in pots and close together and i think some of these varieties are multi crossbreeding.

1 of my health kick has fruit on it&its suppost to be roma shape, the fruit currently on it is not roma shape, it small&round with a funny base like a spinning top.

My black tomato plant also has a fruit on it, and is also suppost to be roma shape, the fruit is round.

I did see a bee fertalise 3 different tomato plants the other day.

What colours could the fruit be considering the different varities i have?

What sizes could the fruit be?

This is my first year of growing tomatoes&we are renting so we can't plant them in the ground

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have my tomatoes in a pot too. Wow you have a lot of tomatoes there lol. I only have 2 tomato plants both are roma tomatoes.

The come out in round shape.

I am assuming the bit that looks like a spinning top is the bit that is joined to the stalk.

Have a look at the flowers on the tomato plant, this is where the "fruit" will eventually come from, it comes out as round, then eventually looks more like a roma tomato, then it is long and will eventually be red (assuming it is green right now?)

Just give it time and plenty of sunlight. I find my tomatoes are just doing fine without too much water too. I barely remember watering, and when I do, it's normally just whats left over in the bottom of my kids drink bottles at the end of the day, (rather than tipping down the sink I'm getting good at remembering that now)

Upvote 0

encouraging loves animals

formerly known as encouragng_angels
May 31, 2004
South East Victoria
Visit site
✟49,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I don't remember to water them much either, when i do water them i use recycled bath water. 1 particular health kick seem to be thriving in the crazy heat wave. the others are showing more their heat affected. the strong health kick fruit is actual quite large now, but still doesn't look like it going to be Roma, yeah it is still round and the spinning top is actually on the bottom.

this is what the health kick should look like
health_kick_tomato.jpg

My fruit don't get that large
This is what the current fruit look like- only alot smaller&still green
tomato_start.jpg

Both my Tomatoes Health Kick&Black Russian Tomato that suppost have roma shaped tomatoes have currenty very obvious round fruit.

The fruit should look like something like this on the black 1
948278.jpg

But the current fruit on it is round on a smaller scale&still green
gardening_aug06_black_tomato_470x353.jpg

Upvote 0

HotToast

Laughmaster
Aug 29, 2005
✟19,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to post so late, but I have been away. How are your tomatoes now? I will try and answer some of your questions.

I haven't heard of all of the varities that you listed. Where did you get them from? They should produce fruit the shape and colour listed on the label. The fact that the bees fertilise several flowers will not affect the colour of the fruit on that plant. What it does mean is that if you try to grow a plant from the seed of that fruit you can not be 100% sure of what the plant and fruit will be like.

From the description of your fruit either they still have a fair amount of growing to do (all my tomatoes look round when small) or they are cherry tomatoes. These ones are definately cherry tomatoes:
1 sweet cherry gold(small yellow),
1 cherry peach tomato(peach colour)
1 tumbler cherry tomato(slightly larger than the sweet cherry gold)

I would suggest that you water them every day (unless it is less than 25 degrees) otherwise the bottom of thefruit will rot.

This summer I tried out a mixed packet of tomatoe seeds (what a suprise). So far I am sure that I have a cherry tomatoe, Amish Paste, Green Zebra. I have a couple of other plants I am not sure of yet. Only the cherry tomatoes have started ripening so far. Good l;uck with your tomatoes!

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
May I also inform you that Tomatoes and Capsicums are self polinating and realy don't need bees.
I only have the 'Grosse Lise' (8) and the 'Californian Bell' Capsicum. If someone grows Capsicum please don't take them out - the fruit twice as much in their second year. I have them in my little green house, a timber frame with a plastic, clear roof and flyscreen around to prevent fruit fly.
I like your varity, it must be great the different taste. Happy growing!

Upvote 0