Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Today for the feast of St. Francis of Assisi and, like many parishes, we conducted a blessing of the animals. Over 80 neighbors brought their pets (mostly dogs) by for a blessing this evening. To each of them I passed out a little list of things we can learn from dogs. The list that appears below.

Scripture says little about dogs and when it does it is never flattering. Most of the references make one think of wild dogs who ran in packs. Psalm 22:16 says, “Many dogs have surrounded me, a pack of evildoers closes in upon me. Or again from Philippians 3:2, Watch out for those dogs, those evildoers. No, strangely, I cannot find one Scripture that speaks well of dogs.

And yet, they have been a great gift to me. Such loyalty, such unconditional “love.” There may have been times in my life when everyone was disgusted with me, even I was disgusted with me. But even on days like that my dog would still run to great me, and curl up next to me; such wonderful, “forgiving” and uncomplicated creatures.
Dogs, generally speaking, have a great outlook on life. This list is an oldie on the internet but, if you haven’t read it, it is really rather instructive. Dogs DO have a lot to teach us. God teaches us not only out of the Bible but in creation. In that spirit here are

Fifteen Things We can Learn from Dogs:

Continued- 15 things we can learn from dogs...

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice article, but I disagree with the good Monsignor when he says he can't find one Scripture that speaks well of dogs. In the book of Tobit, chapter 6, verse two, Tobiah sets out on a journey from Nineveh to Ecbetana, and the family dog follows him out of the house and goes along with him. In chapter 11, verse four, the dog is still following along behind Tobiah on his journey back home.

The distance from Nineveh to Ecbetana was about 180 miles; it took the army of Alexander the Great eleven days to cover this distance in forced marches, due to the distance and the terrain, so we're talking about a round trip of 360 miles. Not an easy journey for a man travelling on foot, let alone a dog; Tobiah's dog had to have been a fairly hardy and very devoted friend to go that distance with him. :)

Upvote 0