joshuad31

Mar 21, 2009
✟7,613.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I saw your post and I thought I would share my enjoyment. After being in fellowship with some more mature believers I came to understand that Christ lives in us and this is what allows us to live in the christian life (Gal. 2:20). In ourselves apart from the Lord we can do nothing (John 15:5). Actually apart from God I find that I can do many things but these things frequently do not accomplish what the Lord wants. That is why I need to learn to rely on Him.

I have been very much enjoying a chapter from Watchman Nee's the overcoming life speaking about this very thing and I thought I would share this small portion with you. Let me know what you think.

snipurl.<remove this>com/overcoming4

Joshua

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
God cannot be tempted and Jesus can. James one says God cannot be tempted. Mat 4 says Jesus was tempted. Obviously if God became man then the essential character of God (not being temptable) would have to change for Jesus to be tempted. That simp[ly cannot be. It is heresy to think you can change God's character to satisify a theory of doctrine.

Except that YHWH has NOT 'become' a man at all(?!) YHWH has incarnated as a man which is something completely different.

The Messiah, Existing as Divine Nature [YHWH], is absolutely impervious to temptation but the same Messiah, existing as human nature [Jesus of Nazareth], is completely susceptible to temptation, yet, as an act of His will, resisted all temptation throughout His pre-resurrection human life.

Simonline.

Upvote 0

music4two

Oct 28, 2004
Illinois
✟983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Except that YHWH has NOT 'become' a man at all(?!) YHWH has incarnated as a man which is something completely different.

The Messiah, Existing as Divine Nature [YHWH], is absolutely impervious to temptation but the same Messiah, existing as human nature [Jesus of Nazareth], is completely susceptible to temptation, yet, as an act of His will, resisted all temptation throughout His pre-resurrection human life.

Simonline.

Sp you are saying that Christ had a split personality? Half YHWH and Half human? They call that today multiple personality dissorder. A dissorder because the person can not function as a viable person.
Secondly - you make him dual natured and you again make him a different creature then the rest of humanity and invalidate his example for us.

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I did not inference anything. I simple cut and pasted the definitions. If you do not like the truth so be it.

And them being from the same root word proves my point. Gd cannot be tempted and Jesus can. James one says God cannot be tempted. Mat 4 says Jesus was tempted. Obviously if God became man then the essential character of God (not being temptable) would have to change for Jesus to be tempted. That simp[ly cannot be. It is heresy to think you can change God's character to satisify a theory of doctrine.
And what do you do with the Psalm 78 passage? God is being tempted there. The passage from James, when read in context, is not speaking of the absolute impossiblity of one attempting to tempt God, just that any such attempt to tempt God would fail. To assert as you do that God is untemptable, is to assert that God does not have the freedom within his sovereign self to make choices. Your immutable God has all of the character of an inanimate piece of granite. And that is not the God of the Bible, who in fact relents at the bequest of Moses and modifies his plans in response to Abraham's concerns, and is even ammenable to us today coming to him with our peitions.

Upvote 0

music4two

Oct 28, 2004
Illinois
✟983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
And what do you do with the Psalm 78 passage? God is being tempted there. The passage from James, when read in context, is not speaking of the absolute impossiblity of one attempting to tempt God, just that any such attempt to tempt God would fail. To assert as you do that God is untemptable, is to assert that God does not have the freedom within his sovereign self to make choices. Your immutable God has all of the character of an inanimate piece of granite. And that is not the God of the Bible, who in fact relents at the bequest of Moses and modifies his plans in response to Abraham's concerns, and is even ammenable to us today coming to him with our peitions.

In Psalms 78 the Hebrew word is NSH and means to a test to prove if one is worthy of lifting up. It comes from the root word NS which means a standard. The Hebrews were testing God to see if He was really worthy of their worship. They were lining Him up against His promises and standard. They were not tempting God to do evil or to sin, but testing Him as to His being God.
In James it is very clear that God cannot be tempted to do evil. There are things God cannot do. He cannot act outside of His character. He is the highest form of holiness and purity. Any attempt to tempt God fails because it is contrary to God’s permanent and unchangeable character to do evil. He cannot be tempted to change His character and do evil. A fundamental understanding of Christianity is the immutability of God. Malachi says that He is God He changes not. This is in reference to the fact that His promises can be trusted because they stem from His character which is unchangeable. He does not simply decide I will be good today and act like the devil tomorrow. For God to be tempted to do evil he would need the capacity to do evil. God does not have that capacity.

Jesus was tempted to do evil. He was tempted to live by a direction outside of His father’s will. To seek worship for himself and to demand that God protect Him. Even to feed himself rather then rely on God alone.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So, you are saying that Christ had a split personality? Half YHWH and Half human? They call that today multiple personality dissorder. A dissorder because the person can not function as a viable person.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying (?!)

[Note to the moderators, sorry, one should not mock the afflicted.]

The Messiah is the most integrated human creature ever to exist.

The Messiah is ONE PERSON simultaneously existing in TWO (distinct but NOT separate) WAYS as TWO (mutually exclusive) NATURES - Divine [YHWH] and human [Jesus of Nazareth]. The way that the Messiah exists as the Divine Creator is absolutely 'OTHER' to the way that He exists as a human creature.

YHWH is NOT a human creature and Jesus of Nazareth is NOT the Divine Creator but the Messiah/Christ is YHWH Himself incarnate as a man, a concept that is clearly completely beyond your comprehension.

Secondly - you make him dual natured and you again make him a different creature then the rest of humanity and invalidate his example for us.

The fact that the Messiah exists as 'dual natured' (since the Messiah, being YHWH Himself, incarnate as a man, CANNOT exist in any other way) does NOT in any way diminish either nature. The Messiah is as authentically the human creature as He is authentically the Divine Creator and the fact that the Messiah Exists as infinitely more than just a human creature does not diminish the fact that He really does exist as an authentic (albeit sinless) human creature. Therefore His example for us is totally valid (otherwise there could be no gospel)?!

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

YHWH, as Absolute Reality, is absolutely impervious to any and all temptation. This is the reason why any and all temptations of YHWH will fail. YHWH simply CANNOT be tempted at all. However, Jesus of Nazareth, as the human incarnation of YHWH, was (but, since His resurrection, is no longer) as suceptible to temptation as any and every other man, yet chose to resist them all in obedience to His Father.

Simonline.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.