10 year Anniversary of prepping.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We started in earnest in the Spring of 2012. We have started reaching back into our long-term storage and checking out items we put back in mylar bags. Lots of rice, beans, oats, pasta, instant mashed potatoes, sugar, salt, and others.
We have some canned goods and we tend to rotate them as time goes by. While it is said the canned goods last much longer than the "use by" date, we still want to keep the stock fresh. We opened some spam the other night and it was perfect. The expire date was a couple years ago. We have opened 10-year-old rice and beans and found them to be essentially in the same state they were in when we packed them away. In most cases the O2 absorbers were still fresh and useable.
We have less confidence in the food saver packed items as the failure rate is higher. Whenever we find a pack that has lost its vacuum, we pull it and repack noting the original date and date it was repacked. I have four bags of oats that need to be re-bagged. Try to get those tonight.
We have only had a couple instances where we opened food and found a stale odor. Do not get dry, ready prepare soup mixes as they do not store well at all. We opened one that was 4 years old and it was rotten inside. I think there must have been either moisture or oil in the mix. Ugh.
Joys of prepping. Testing old food.

0.:hhh:

Last edited:

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have a lot of stored food; but with the heed that the Chinese Government sent out to its' people, I went out and bought another 50 pounds of rice. I have lots of bird shot; and if things totally collapse, I can get by on rice and small birds. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a total break down; but with disruptions in supply because of Covid, and the Chinese economy teetering on a crash, things might get really tough for those who aren't prepared at all. I just gave a clutch of eggs to my Pastor's wife for incubation. Time to build up the flock. Hopefully I can live on eggs if nothing else, and have enough left over to share with those who aren't prepared.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,045.00
Country
United States
Faith