• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

10 Common Cognitive Distortions and what to do about them

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It can, but please note that depression and anxiety may also be biological in nature. So far, very little can be done to change the brain chemistry.

Actually, by changing our thinking we DO change brain chemistry. Even if from a biological cause (other than negative thinking patterns) positive thinking, renewing our mind, has been proven to make us better.

Dr Seligman has does extensive research on positive psychology (what he calls his cognitive behavior therapy approach) and has even documented that even though depressed, if the person will reach out and appreciate another, it improves the brain chemistry of the depressed person....but even moreso, say you go the "extra mile" and that really makes a difference.

For example, even here on the website...if a depressed person is reading about someone achieving a good thing and they post congratulations or such, that helps them both. But, if the depressed person goes the extra step of going to that person's profile page or PMing them and giving them an additional congrats or note, the brain chemistry improves even more.

There's a Biblical basis for this. Read the Scriptures about renewing the mind, as a man thinketh...etc. It's not brainwashing, it's more along the line of the "self fulfilling prophecy" in that what we dwell upon, is where our minds and bodies go.

Quantum physics/mechanics has also shown that what we want to see is what we actually get and see. With experiments where several microscopes (subatomic level) are viewing the same event by different scientists at the same time, and with each viewing through each microscope being recorded, it has been shown that each scientist actually saw what they expected to see from the event!!!! It's called "the observer effect"...

God gave us marvelous minds and bodies.... don't give in to the world's view that there isn't anything you do about who or what you are or how you live and approach life.

It also works for anxiety and other disorders.... though there are some (the psychoticisms) where it takes a bit more of a miracle ;) I think.

Be well.

One foot in front of the other... you don't have to stay the way you are...but therapy IS HARD WORK. :prayer:

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, by changing our thinking we DO change brain chemistry. Even if from a biological cause (other than negative thinking patterns) positive thinking, renewing our mind, has been proven to make us better.

Dr Seligman has does extensive research on positive psychology (what he calls his cognitive behavior therapy approach) and has even documented that even though depressed, if the person will reach out and appreciate another, it improves the brain chemistry of the depressed person....but even moreso, say you go the "extra mile" and that really makes a difference.

For example, even here on the website...if a depressed person is reading about someone achieving a good thing and they post congratulations or such, that helps them both. But, if the depressed person goes the extra step of going to that person's profile page or PMing them and giving them an additional congrats or note, the brain chemistry improves even more.

There's a Biblical basis for this. Read the Scriptures about renewing the mind, as a man thinketh...etc. It's not brainwashing, it's more along the line of the "self fulfilling prophecy" in that what we dwell upon, is where our minds and bodies go.

Quantum physics/mechanics has also shown that what we want to see is what we actually get and see. With experiments where several microscopes (subatomic level) are viewing the same event by different scientists at the same time, and with each viewing through each microscope being recorded, it has been shown that each scientist actually saw what they expected to see from the event!!!! It's called "the observer effect"...

God gave us marvelous minds and bodies.... don't give in to the world's view that there isn't anything you do about who or what you are or how you live and approach life.

It also works for anxiety and other disorders.... though there are some (the psychoticisms) where it takes a bit more of a miracle ;) I think.

Be well.

One foot in front of the other... you don't have to stay the way you are...but therapy IS HARD WORK. :prayer:
Thanks, drjean. I'd like to read more of Dr. Seligman's work. For me, I can't say that it has worked that way. I've been through cognitive therapy, done the "think happy thoughts" thing, and even played "fake it till you make it". Yet here I am 15 years later still munching on 450mg of Effexor every day to remain functional. Perhaps it's true for some, that thinking happy thoughts will alter one's brain chemistry, but I've always thought of clinical depression like I think of diabetes. The body simply isn't producing chemicals the way it's supposed to. It's not been my experience that the way I think changes this (lack of) balance.

Btw, if you know of anyplace online that discusses Seligman's work I'd appreciate reading about it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, drjean. I'd like to read more of Dr. Seligman's work. For me, I can't say that it has worked that way. I've been through cognitive therapy, done the "think happy thoughts" thing, and even played "fake it till you make it". Yet here I am 15 years later still munching on 450mg of Effexor every day to remain functional. Perhaps it's true for some, that thinking happy thoughts will alter one's brain chemistry, but I've always thought of clinical depression like I think of diabetes. The body simply isn't producing chemicals the way it's supposed to. It's not been my experience that the way I think changes this (lack of) balance.

Btw, if you know of anyplace online that discusses Seligman's work I'd appreciate reading about it. Thanks.

Dr Seligman's website is under Authentic Happiness.

Yes, we battle brain chemical imbalances (or whatever the current term for the same event is). Persistence is necessary. What a depressed person sees is depression and rarely sees himself as he progresses to health...it still feels bad. It takes another outside observer who notices and encourages...even when the patient denies and rejects any notion of improvement. (That's the depression talking.)

God's Word promises it works too... so continue. What a depressed person doesn't realize is that the moments of feeling better IS reality. Usually he feels that the depressed mood is reality and the moments of clarity is a fluke.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, as a man thinketh, so he is (Pr. 23:7 kjv). It is out of the abundance of our hearts that the mouth speaks (Lk. 6:45), the fingers type, and the person makes choices. If you change the way you think you can change the way you act.

I use a CBT based model for counseling daily. I learned it when I was the client and now teach it to all my clients. I've seen it effect positive change in countless people's lives. I also use Ellis' Core Irrational ideas. Beck is about how we think crookedly and Ellis tells us about the specific deceptions we entertain (like: I must be loved in order to have worth). The cognitive distortions are accessible and useable by anyone, no PhD required (just a little courage, patience, honesty, and diligence ;)).

Today, with our understanding of emotion-focus and dialectics we can reach well beyond the origins of the CBT/REBT models. I like to use John 3:19-21 to help clients understand the importance of not "fighting or flighting" our own content. Walk in the light: those who live by the truth come into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought I was pretty much the only person who thought all this negative stuff! Ok, maybe not the only person, but I've recently been battling depression and negative thoughts for the past few months. I've gotten much better, but this is really helpful so that I can avoid falling back into this depression. :thumbsup::clap::amen::thumbsup::clap::amen::thumbsup::clap::amen::ok::hoho::satisfied::unbelievable:

But enough onionheads and emotes. This is going to be really helpful for me!

Upvote 0

mcastillo79

Dec 8, 2014
Miami, FL
✟7,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Philippians 4:8

Cognitive behavior therapy works by teaching how to recognize your cognitive distortions (thinking that isn't rational or true)... and by showing how to counter the negative thoughts and change them ("reframe" them) to positive ones.

I love MBCT... I try to practice it daily.
:clap:

Upvote 0