#1 Where did the space for the universe come from?

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Jon, why don't you search through past threads on this first and read the responses that have been given to Mr. Dino's questions before.

If you search specifically for your question, you will get a list of threads where this has already been addressed (many of these questions are on the Questions Asked A Thousand Times list (QAATT).

Two previous threads that deal with this are:
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/38471.html
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/35991.html

Why don't you read these, and continue the discussions that are started there.

Upvote 0

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
Space and time are part of the Universe...they came into being at the same time during the big bang. The Universe doesn't "fill" some preexisting space, it IS space.

My personal thought is that time and space are infinite and that the Universe has always existed in SOME form or another, but the Big Bang was the beginning of this current form.

Upvote 0

Jon

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,054.00
Faith
Christian
2nd April 2003 at 10:39 AM Freodin said this in Post #6

Answer: There is no space for the universe to exist in. The universe IS the space (and the time) that exists.

The question implies that first there was a space, and then in this space, a universe was inserted.

Good answer :)

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Freodin makes a good point here...

The universe is not an object floating in space, it is also the space itself.

Anyone asking Question #1 has never bothered to even open a dictionary to see what "Universe" means, let alone has any grasp of science.

This is the person you are trusting to tell you about science?

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
The interesting thing is that since the universe is SpaceTime, its impossible to see beyond the universe, or before the universe began. However, since the bigbang created everything that effects us, right now, science doesnt care what was before the big bang or ourside our universe (if there is such a thing) as it has no effect on us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Please remember that the existence of atoms and subatomic particles are proposed theory not solid fact.

Scientific theory is different from the colloquial definition of the word. Scientific theories explain facts. For example, the model of the atom and the quantum mechanics model best explain the nature of matter. Atomic and quantum theories best explain the facts about the observed behavior of matter, just like Big Bang theory best explains the observed facts of the universe.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
2nd April 2003 at 11:58 AM Jon said this in Post #1 Where did the space for the universe come from?&nbsp;
\

Space is something that was created by God. When I pull into a parking lot and find a place to put my car I say: Thanks you God for giving me this parking space.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
3rd April 2003 at 09:31 AM JohnR7 said this in Post #14

\

Space is something that was created by God. When I pull into a parking lot and find a place to put my car I say: Thanks you God for giving me this parking space.

So God made the universe so that we could park our galaxies in it? Who's going to feed the meter?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums