Status
Not open for further replies.

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
mistertee49 said:
For this reason, when I could no longer endure it, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter had tempted you, and our labor might be in vain.
Hi there!

:wave:

In looking at the history of the church for which the passage is directed, we would go to Act 17 where it gives the history and formation of the church at Thessalonica. After arguing for three weeks in the synagogue, Paul convinced several people to convert to Christianity. But there was MUCH persecution to anyone professing Christianity. The passage is directed to people who are new Christians and facing persecution.

Knowing that, Paul is writing to encourage them, not wanting the past labors for the Lord to be in vain, and that those new in the faith would not be tempted by discouragement.

~malaka~

Upvote 0

JohnStevenson

Jul 20, 2003
Hollywood, Florida
Visit site
✟7,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mistertee49 said:
For this reason, when I could no longer endure it, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter had tempted you, and our labor might be in vain.
Paul says, "I could not endure it any longer; I had to send Timothy back to find whether you were enduring in the faith."

You see, it was not enough for Paul to know that the Thessalonians had made a decision for Christ in the past. He was ultimately concerned, not over a past decision, but whether they were enduring TODAY in their faith.

There is a segment of Christianity today that puts altogether too much emphasis upon making a decision for Christ. Sometimes this is punctuated by having someone walk down an aisle or say a prayer of commitment. These are all good and worthy things. But such a commitment is only the first step of what is to be a Christian WALK.

I can remember how we all applauded when our grandson took his first little baby steps. A faltering step. Then another one. And then a third. But it would be supremely tragic if that had been all there was. Baby steps, by there very nature, are a prelude to further walking.

Paul sends Timothy from Athens all the way back to Thessalonica just to see whether the Thessalonian believers were walking in their faith. Timothy makes the long journey and then he comes all the way back with the report to say, "Yes, they are doing it...
"They are still living out their Christian FAITH."
"They are showing LOVE"
"They long to see you as you long to see them"
There is actually a play on words used here. Throughout chapter 2, Paul spoke of how he had brought the GOSPEL to the Thessalonians.
  • We had the boldness in our God to speak to you the gospel of God amid much opposition (2:2).
  • We have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel (2:4).
  • We were well-pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God but also our own lives (2:8).
  • We proclaimed to you the gospel of God (2:10).
The word "gospel" simply means "good news." Paul and company had come to Thessalonica proclaiming the good news that God sent His Son.

But now Paul uses this same word translated "gospel" in verse 6 to speak of the good news that Timothy brought back that the Thessalonians are still walking in faith and in love.

As a result of one gospel, the other gospel became apparent in the lives of the Thessalonian believers.

How about you? You have heard the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ -- that God sent His only Son into the world to die as a sacrifice for sins -- that He died upon the cross and rose again and has conquered sin and death.

That is the Gospel. But is the gospel apparent in your life? Has it changed you so that you your life is characterized by faith and by love? It had in the case of the Thessalonians.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.