Jun 26, 2003
Birmingham, England
Visit site
✟9,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am preparing a talk on the Gifts of the Spirit.

I am talking briefly on the Holy Spirit coming down at Pentecost. Then going through some of the gifts of the spirit in 1 Corinthians 12 (we may have non Christians coming so I didnt wan to delve in tongues as it can be fairly complex to get your head round).

I'm gonna focus on Healing, Prophesy, Faith, Miraculous Power, Knowledge and Wisdom. And for each one give a biblical example then an equivalent example in our church.

Could you help me with the New Testament examples please. Thank you.

Or feel free to share your own testimonies of when the Holy Spirit has been at work in you to do Gods work.

KnightOfChrist

Crusading
Feb 7, 2004
Westfield, Massachusetts
✟298.00
Faith
Christian
Hi.

I'll just give as many examples as I can for the subjects you listed. You can pick and choose what works, or use them all if you have time. :)

Mat 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Mat 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

Luk 9:6 And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing every where.

Luk 9:11 And the people, when they knew it, followed him: and he received them, and spake unto them of the kingdom of God, and healed them that had need of healing.

Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Rev 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Mat 8:7 And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.

Mat 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Luk 5:17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them.

Act 4:30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

1Ti 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Rev 22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

For prophecies Jesus fulfilled: Prophecy List of Jesus

Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Mat 8:10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

Mat 9:2 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

Mat 9:22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

Mat 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Mat 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Mat 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

Joh 2:11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

Joh 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

Joh 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

Joh 6:2 And a great multitude followed him, because they saw his miracles which he did on them that were diseased.

Joh 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Rom 15:14 And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

1Co 1:5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

1Co 8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

2Co 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Col 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

Mat 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Mat 12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

Mat 13:54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?

Act 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Col 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

Jam 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Hope that helps you out! :wave:

Reactions: Piano Player
Upvote 0

mythbuster

Apr 14, 2004
✟746.00
Faith
Christian
From this site

http://www.menfak.no/bibelprog/vines?word=¯t0002236

<A-1,Noun,4394,propheteia>
signifies "the speaking forth of the mind and counsel of God" (pro, "forth," phemi, "to speak:" see PROPHET); in the NT it is used (a) of the gift, e.g., Rom. 12:6; 1 Cor. 12:10; 13:2; (b) either of the exercise of the gift or of that which is "prophesied," e.g., Matt. 13:14; 1 Cor. 13:8; 14:6,22; 1 Thess. 5:20, "prophesying (s);" 1 Tim. 1:18; 4:14; 2 Pet. 1:20,21; Rev. 1:3; 11:6; 19:10; 22:7,10,18,19.
"Though much of OT prophecy was purely predictive, see Micah 5:2, e.g., and cp. John 11:51, prophecy is not necessarily, nor even primarily, fore-telling. It is the declaration of that which cannot be known by natural means, Matt. 26:68, it is the forth-telling of the will of God, whether with reference to the past, the present, or the future, see Gen. 20:7; Deut. 18:18; Rev. 10:11; 11:3. ...

The point being that one of the greater gifts, to prophesy, is to speak for God. and this is something we all can do and practice and we should desire.
This is true because Paul writes in I Cor 14:31

For you can all prophesy, one by one that all may learn
Since some people are scared to stand and speak and we want to encourage prophesying, one thing we do is stand and read a verse, or quote something, to get used to speaking in the meetings.

In fact, if your speaking is one with God during your presentaion, you will be prophesying.

peace

Upvote 0

Top Cat

Jul 2, 2003
Aberdeen
Visit site
✟15,161.00
Faith
Christian
All the best for your talk Chris Green and I think you'll do just fab. I also think Knight of Christ came up with some superb readings for you there so that's cool.
One tack you could take is looking at the gifts as talents in the same league as gifts such as music or sports. You could also speak about the fruits of the spirit which are important as well as all of these things can be looked at as a pool of resources with which we can use to serve God, and complete the work he has for us.
You could also try comparing a couple of bible characters who clearly had gifts. I used Samson and Barnabas. Samson had huge responsibility and gifts that went along with it but he misused and abused these for his own ends (usually escaping the enemy after being caught with a prostitute or two). Barnabas however was one of these characters who is a virtual unknown but always seems to pop up at the right time with the gift to encourage everyone he meets (he sold everything he had and was the first to give a donation to the new church, he encouraged Paul when everyone mistrusted him, and he encourage Mark and took him on a missionary journey when he had come home in dispair and failure and Paul had abandoned him). This can be a reminder to christians that gifts are to be used in his service not to gain a spiritual high or to edify ourselves but to edify the church.
Paul himself also speaks about how he would prefer folk to prophesy rather than speaking in tongues for prophesy helps the church and tongues do not (unless an interpretation is given).
Paul also says that without love none of these gifts add to a hill of beans.
I would also advise not delving too deeply into the gifts if non christians are going to be there because they will not understand these things without the holy spirit. But everyone recognises the concept of resources and non christians understand that Christians serve God so that might be a good start. Hopefully some of this will be helpful to you.
Another idea is to wrap up little treats such as chocolate bars and crisps and label them by the different gifts of fruits of the spirit. That may go down nicely.

Top Cat

Upvote 0

inhimitrust

May 17, 2004
Texas
✟837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe in miraculous wonders being done today, as I myself witnessed a healing miracle done to my wife shortly after God came into my life. I believe God can empower the Spirit in a person to prophecy and enable that person to speak bodly and without fear, just as Stephen did before he was stoned to death. I was the biggest sinner one could be before that day last year and the awsome way in which God entered my life was nothing short of amazing (the last time I thought of God was when I went to a seminary to be a priest in my junior year of high school 1966, but didn't make it, joined the service and became a pagan sinner from that day forward. I guess God didn't forget about me and came to me last year like a hammer.)
God still wants to be glorified and He will indeed do that just as Paul was converted when Christ came to him to be His "vessel" and would suffer many things in His name. That is why Paul is one of the most important apostles and servant of Jesus Christ and how the other desciples and apostles could believe what Paul was saying as he was one of the greatest persecutors of God's people.
I believe that type of conversion still happens today as how else can God glorify and make His power known here on earth. And yes, love is the most difficult word to say and practice today, and is used less than the other "4 letter" word.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.