Osnabrueck
✟15,783.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was doing some research on prayer shawls and came across head coverings in my searches. I'm just wondering what you guys think about this passage and this concept.

Note to mods:I think I figured out the right spot to put this (the titles of the Theology section are big confusing words even when I used dictionary.com to figure them out) but if not, feel free to move it.

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 11:1-3 1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. 2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you. 3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

In 1 Corinthians 11:1-3, Paul gave a pattern:
1. The head of a woman is man
2. The head of the man is Christ
3. The head of Christ is God the Father

The interpretation of "head" might be in the sense of authority, but the context (verses 8 and 12) show its more likely origin or source.

There is tension between submission and equality. Paul said in Gal 3:28 that in Christ, men and women are equal in God's sight. So it should be clear that submission does not imply inequality. This is shown in the pattern that Paul gave - the Father is the head of the Son, but as Scripture shows both the Father and the Son are equally God.

In 1 Corinthians 11:4-16, Paul continued to use the pattern he provided in 11:1-3. Paul distinguished men from women in two ways:
1) The woman's head is to be covered while the man's head is to be uncovered. (verses 4-5)
2) The woman's hair is not to be cut while the man's hair is to be cut. (verse 6)

In the culture of the times, all the women in the 1st century covered their heads with veils. This is similar to what is used by Muslim women today. Occupations were also limited for women, so the women who did cut their hair did so to appear as a man. So the head covering (veil) and long hair of women were expected and accepted cultural signs of women in the 1st century.

Those women who went about unveiled and with cut hair would definitely get noticed, but in a negative sense. Paul addressed those women who decided not to use veils and decided to cut their hair to express their freedom in Christ. Paul told them not to appear as men, because then they would be flouting the pattern of showing deference to men.

These days unveiled women are the norm. Women can wear their hair short or long. These two cultural issues don't have the same relevance today as it did back then. There are other ways in which the pattern Paul laid out in 1 Cor 11:1-3 is demonstrated today.

LDG

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I forgot to add that prayer shawls and head coverings of today aren't quite the same as veils in the 1st century. If a woman is personally convicted that she needs to cover her head during worship, that is fine. I think the problems arise when one wants to make all women wear head coverings of some sort.

Upvote 0

jesusfreak220

Jan 6, 2007
Osnabrueck
✟15,783.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Just giving my input:

I believe that everything in the New Testament is still relevant today. Therefore, I believe that women should have long hair--i.e., they should not cut their hair or shave their heads--and that they should have head coverings when praying or prophesying.

Upvote 0

IronManMatt

May 15, 2007
✟15,855.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Chorinthians 11 says that a woman is to cover her head while praying or prophesying and that a man is not to cover his head while praying or prophesying so that is what I believe. Paul is giving a direct command from GOD and it needs to be obeyed by all. Paul never says that this message is intended only for a certain time or for a certain church. If people think that 1 Corinthians was only intended for the Corinthians in the first century then the same would apply to the rest of the Epistles and hence we wouldn't have much of a New Testament left. I think people just pick out things that they don't want to do and try to explain them away, something which I have been guilty of in the past. Just remember, you might be able to fool yourself but you can't fool God.

Upvote 0
T

Teke

The way I was taught on head coverings, is that they are a sign of submission. Not to men, but to the Lord. My example is the type given by Issac and his bride to be.

Gen 24:65
For she [had] said unto the servant, What man [is] this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant [had] said, It [is] my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.

Rebekah is showing, by a sign of submission, that she has accepted Isaac as her betrothed. I believe that this is why Paul also mentions the angels in this regard. As we are in worship with the heavenly host as well as here on earth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.