• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

♥♥

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamb7

Little Lamb
Jul 19, 2017
USA
✟36,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
♡♡♡ Thank you everyone for the support. I removed the OP due to the idea some would criticize/ bash or debate others. Just wanted some help with my OCD attack, not to debate doctrines or beliefs so please do not use this thread to debate anyone. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is my first post. I have OCD. It is now effecting me spiritually. Here is my story:

I came from a Pentecostal background (Assemblies of God)i

After 2 years they did a teaching on baptism of the Holy Spirit I was intrigued and wanted to be closer to God and was told this is how you do it so I was committed to do so. It didn't sit right with my husband and noticed some issues and brought them to my attention later which made me question stuff. (My husband is a believer)

So I did alter calls separate from scheduled worship where lights are dimmed and music is playing and people are speaking in tongues and laying hands on us so we receive this gift. (No interpretation) We were told to pray normally out loud or sing and I think I may have sang quietly in tongues at least they said I did when I explained it to them. (My husband didn't want to participate they asked him to leave he couldn't just observe this meeting which was very strange to me)

I was taught to seek the gift of tongues amd its the evidence someone ia spirit filled. So I ran with it until I saw some things I became unsure of.

Recently, after long tiring hours of research and not being really sure, I came to believe gifts happen today IF done correctly in context of the Word. I believe God can do anything He wills for His glory. But he wont go outside His written Word.

I believe what happened in Acts was real, and real languages, the Holy Spirit. Same as Jesus miracles. All HIM And what happened in Acts I believe can happen today, but not outside what the Bible says.

But many of my peers taught this 2nd blessing that is to be sought after salvation was so important and is the evidence (tongues) one is Spirit filled/baptism. I have not read that in bible that tongues is the evidence of this. Paul even says not everyone will have the gift of tongues, or gifts in general.

My peers have criticized other churches because they dont feel the Spirit or it's not Spirit filled or dont have the presence of Spirit. They also say that the devil cant understand when you speak or pray in tongues and I checked, to my knowledge it's not in the bible. I dont see much about tongues as a prayer language in Bible either.

Whenever I heard tongues which was usually in prayer groups, it was never interpreted so I was always confused to what was being said. Like what does this mean?

My friend even balled her eyes out when she tried and failed to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit from her grandma and she even admitted "So I have to speak gibberish"?

So that experience led me on a journey. I looked more into the history of this denomination which was created by men 100 some years ago and really questioned this more. God warns to not trust man-made doctrines. We are told to be discerning and to test spirits.

With all this focus on this 2nd gift more than on Christ's work at the cross made me think is this right? or of God? A denomination which sets itself apart on this? Like I said I do believe in gifts today if done correctly as the Bible says. (Please know I am Not criticizing my fellow Chrisitans innthis denomonation)

So with all what I wrote above in my head wondering what is all this, I said OUT loud to my husband or mom or maybe others a year later that "maybe OR they are" possessed my demon and speaking in tongues, especially when they add words to Bible like satan cant hear you pray in tongues) like what else do they have wrong? And we have many warnings from God to test the spirits. Satan can and does counterfeit gifts. (since I was made aware that pagan and occult circles can speak in tongues, how can I know 100% certain what I heard is of the Holy Spirit or not, or even faked? i researched that is well....)

So I was confused of the modern day tongues source I witnessed. And how do I know these people are TRUE believers with the Holy Spirit? I don't know, I'm not sovereign.

But could it be a prayer language? I really dont know.. not much is said on it in the Bible.

After tongues some even take this a step further with slain in spirit, laughter and running around so I am like what is this?

So years ago I was seeking this gift and it was a unique experience but later learned we are not to have human experience trump the Word.

I come to realize NOW its more likely human emotionalism than it would be another demon spirit.

I love my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who belong to this denomination. But I have left this church to go Non-denominational one

So I am worried because I said something in the past along the lines of "they are for sure demon possessed, or could be since its not from God" is that I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit and now damned.

I cant even remember the EXACT words I said, but it was along those lines.

I read some pentacostal articles stating I am damned becuase I said that stuff.

Ever since remembering I said this recently I have been depressed ever since and questioning my salvation daily.Its bewn 2 months with thia. My medication increase in citalopram has helped but it is still there.

I love Jesus and the Bible. I love to witness to my unsaved friends and family. I believe He is the only savior and paid the price for our sins. I am convicted of my sins. God is my life, so that's why I'm so confused. I don't EVER wanna be separated from God for eternity.

I have prayed to Jesus, that if what I said out loud was bad or wrong that I'm sorry I never intended or want to insult or slander the Holy Spirit. I love God.

I apologize if you belong to this denomination I did not intend to offend or to speak bad of it, just trying to figure it out and sharing my experiences.

Any input or advice would be great.

Thank you for your time.
Romans 8.38-39

Hebrews 12.2

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I fear this will turn into a Pentecostal bashing thread, I hope not.

I at one time said Pentecostals were demon possessed and now I am one of sorts and I do speak in tongues so go figure.

You didn't commit the unpardonable. Proof is you are worried that you did. If you really did commit that sin you wouldn't care either way.

Look I used to be an Assemblies of God minister, I have the certificate to prove it. I do not even go to their churches anymore for reason that are my own but it is wrong for anyone to pressure people into anything like that. It doesn't diminish the legitimacy of the gifts, just makes it difficult to receive when everyone is pressuring one way or the other.

Don't worry about what was done. You didn't commit the unpardonable sin. Keep seeking God :)

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is my first post. I have OCD. It is now effecting me spiritually. Here is my story:

After 2 years they did a teaching on baptism of the Holy Spirit I was intrigued and wanted to be closer to God and was told this is how you do it so I was committed to do so. It didn't sit right with my husband and noticed some issues and brought them to my attention later which made me question stuff. (My husband is a believer)

So I did alter calls separate from scheduled worship where lights are dimmed and music is playing and people are speaking in tongues and laying hands on us so we receive this gift. (No interpretation) We were told to pray normally out loud or sing and I think I may have sang quietly in tongues at least they said I did when I explained it to them. (My husband didn't want to participate they asked him to leave he couldn't just observe this meeting which was very strange to me)

I was taught to seek the gift of tongues amd its the evidence someone ia spirit filled. So I ran with it until I saw some things I became unsure of.

Recently, after long tiring hours of research and not being really sure, I came to believe gifts happen today IF done correctly in context of the Word. I believe God can do anything He wills for His glory. But he wont go outside His written Word.

I believe what happened in Acts was real, and real languages, the Holy Spirit. Same as Jesus miracles. All HIM And what happened in Acts I believe can happen today, but not outside what the Bible says.

But many of my peers taught this 2nd blessing that is to be sought after salvation was so important and is the evidence (tongues) one is Spirit filled/baptism. I have not read that in bible that tongues is the evidence of this. Paul even says not everyone will have the gift of tongues, or gifts in general.

My peers have criticized other churches because they dont feel the Spirit or it's not Spirit filled or dont have the presence of Spirit. They also say that the devil cant understand when you speak or pray in tongues and I checked, to my knowledge it's not in the bible. I dont see much about tongues as a prayer language in Bible either.

Whenever I heard tongues which was usually in prayer groups, it was never interpreted so I was always confused to what was being said. Like what does this mean?

My friend even balled her eyes out when she tried and failed to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit from her grandma and she even admitted "So I have to speak gibberish"?

So that experience led me on a journey. I looked more into the history of this denomination which was created by men 100 some years ago and really questioned this more. God warns to not trust man-made doctrines. We are told to be discerning and to test spirits.

With all this focus on this 2nd gift more than on Christ's work at the cross made me think is this right? or of God? A denomination which sets itself apart on this? Like I said I do believe in gifts today if done correctly as the Bible says. (Please know I am Not criticizing my fellow Chrisitans innthis denomonation)

So with all what I wrote above in my head wondering what is all this, I said OUT loud to my husband or mom or maybe others a year later that "maybe OR they are" possessed my demon and speaking in tongues, especially when they add words to Bible like satan cant hear you pray in tongues) like what else do they have wrong? And we have many warnings from God to test the spirits. Satan can and does counterfeit gifts. (since I was made aware that pagan and occult circles can speak in tongues, how can I know 100% certain what I heard is of the Holy Spirit or not, or even faked? i researched that is well....)

So I was confused of the modern day tongues source I witnessed. And how do I know these people are TRUE believers with the Holy Spirit? I don't know, I'm not sovereign.

But could it be a prayer language? I really dont know.. not much is said on it in the Bible.

After tongues some even take this a step further with slain in spirit, laughter and running around so I am like what is this?

So years ago I was seeking this gift and it was a unique experience but later learned we are not to have human experience trump the Word.

I come to realize NOW its more likely human emotionalism than it would be another demon spirit.

I love my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who belong to this denomination. But I have left this church to go Non-denominational one

So I am worried because I said something in the past along the lines of "they are for sure demon possessed, or could be since its not from God" is that I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit and now damned.

Ever since remembering I said this recently I have been depressed ever since and questioning my salvation daily.Its bewn 2 months with thia. My medication increase in citalopram has helped but it is still there.

I love Jesus and the Bible. I love to witness to my unsaved friends and family. I believe He is the only savior and paid the price for our sins. I am convicted of my sins. God is my life, so that's why I'm so confused. I don't EVER wanna be separated from God for eternity.

I have prayed to Jesus, that if what I said out loud was bad or wrong that I'm sorry I never intended or want to insult or slander the Holy Spirit. I love God.

I apologize if you belong to this denomination I did not intend to offend or to speak bad of it, just trying to figure it out and sharing my experiences.

Thank you for your time.
I don't know much about the pentecostals of God and i'm sorry for your experience.

I spoke in tounques speaking in another language at an LWAF convention we went to I couldn't control it or anything and I didn't ask for it, I just prayed for The HOly Ghost and I received it that way. What's ironic is I used to hate on God or critique him every day until 2 weeks before that experience when I repented and I said God...if this HOly Ghost is real and if this speaking in tounques experience is a real experience, I want to get the HOly Ghost and I want to experience that. I want power like that and I want to be a part of that, I don't love you as much as I can but I want to love you and if you show me yourself I"ll begin to love you. And that's what happened for me.

I pray in tounques now as well and my life has been changed, I preach and i'm a musician for a church now as well.

And to answer your question the way you know a christian is saved is by the Fruit of the Spirit and spiritual discernment. If you don't yet have spiritual discernment then just by the fruit, how a person behaves and how they are just as an individual says a lot about if they are truly saved and this applies with anyone of any church anywhere.

If you have any questions I can answer, although i'm not a part of the POG I am have experienced speaking in tounques and I believe in it so I may be able to help you out.

I worry this may turn into a tounque talking bashing thread though...usually happens...and again i'm not here to debate with a bunch of people, i'm just here to help you out. I competed in debate for years... I don't mind a debate...but I prefer not to debate if I can avoid it and my focus here is reaching you and helping you out.

Upvote 0

lamb7

Little Lamb
Jul 19, 2017
USA
✟36,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I fear this will turn into a Pentecostal bashing thread, I hope not.

I at one time said Pentecostals were demon possessed and now I am one of sorts and I do speak in tongues so go figure.

You didn't commit the unpardonable. Proof is you are worried that you did. If you really did commit that sin you wouldn't care either way.

Look I used to be an Assemblies of God minister, I have the certificate to prove it. I do not even go to their churches anymore for reason that are my own but it is wrong for anyone to pressure people into anything like that. It doesn't diminish the legitimacy of the gifts, just makes it difficult to receive when everyone is pressuring one way or the other.

Don't worry about what was done. You didn't commit the unpardonable sin. Keep seeking God :)

Thank you for your response. No I do not want this to be a bashing post. I love all my brothers and sisters in Christ regardless of denomination. ♡

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lamb7

Little Lamb
Jul 19, 2017
USA
✟36,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know much about the pentecostals of God and i'm sorry for your experience.

I spoke in tounques speaking in another language at an LWAF convention we went to I couldn't control it or anything and I didn't ask for it, I just prayed for The HOly Ghost and I received it that way.

I pray in tounques now as well and my life has been changed, I preach and i'm a musician for a church now as well.

And to answer your question the way you know a christian is saved is by the Fruit of the Spirit and spiritual discernment. If you don't yet have spiritual discernment then just by the fruit, how a person behaves and how they are just as an individual says a lot about if they are truly saved and this applies with anyone of any church anywhere.

If you have any questions I can answer, although i'm not a part of the POG I am have experienced speaking in tounques and I believe in it so I may be able to help you out.
Thank you I have nothing against speaking in tongues I am just concerned by what I said that is all ♡ I believe in the gifts for today just done according to the word ♡

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you fpfor r your repsone. No I do bot want this to be a bashing post. I love all my brothers ans sisters in Christ regardless of denomination. ♡

I wasn't worried about that from you, but I know some around here can be a bit hasty with their words.

I am praying for you :)

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you I hv2ae nothing against speaking in tongues I am just concerned by what I said that is all ♡ I believe in the gifts for today just done according to the word ♡
same here now from my experience and what i've read so far just praying in tounques or responding to something about God lifting him up and having tounques come out isn't wrong.

It's only wrong if you operate under the gift of tounques presenting a message from God to an congregation or group of people without someone to interpret. It's also wrong if a bunch of people in a church are speaking and there's no one looking out to explain to visitors what is going on as Paul lets us know.

But just praying to God or worshiping God and tounques happen to come out as you do so isn't wrong. I know people in other faiths who also speak in tounques who say that the only times they actually speak for example are in prayer or when they lift up God at times.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for your time.

Praying God brings you comfort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whatever this sort of 'prayer language' tongues is, it's something, and people connect to something. I've seen brain scans of people speaking in tongues. Something interesting is happening... what though, I couldn't say.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Whatever this sort of 'prayer language' tongues is, it's something, and people connect to something. I've seen brain scans of people speaking in tongues. Something interesting is happening... what though, I couldn't say.

It's just a connection to God Ik from experience, the only times I ever speak is when i'm communicating with God in a way, I find I can't speak in tongues doing anything else. Sure I can make random noises or something, but that tounque of another language (mine sounds Indian) that I can't control only manifest itself when I'm focused on GOd.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thank you for your time.

:heart: Hello lamb7. Welcome to CF. Praying for you (((hug)))

• Optimistic
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Does anyone know how to delete a thread I do not want this to be a tongues debate. Or bashing. Please help.

:heart: you can delete (edit) any posts you are uncomfortable with lamb7 (((hug)))

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.