Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every call we get, that’s the worst day of someone’s life.

One of the regular features of New York magazine is a section called “The Cut.” Right in the middle, between the features and the pop culture reviews, it’s a spread of photographs with a few quotes of people who are…somewhere. Sometimes it’s a fashion-centric event, but quite often it’s not. So with this issue, it was EMT training.

And that’s what Jose Laguda says, after answering a question about what he does to relax after training:

Fishing. I usually go around Sheepshead Bay. We rent a charter boat and just go out and go fish. There are flounder, sea bass, porgies. It’s a lot: Every call we get, that’s the worst day of someone’s life.

There are times when I got to Mass or other churchy things, and I can just feel the boredom of those in charge. The presider, the preacher, the musicians, the speaker, the teacher, the confessor.

It is one of the great dangers of ministry, of spiritual leadership: boredom.

And I’m convinced that this boredom is at the root of many of the church’s ills. People get bored, and so what do they do? First, they communicate that boredom in various ways to those to whom they minister. You’re bored? Well, this must be boring, then. Not worth my time or attention. Certainly not life-changing or life-saving.

But the bored also do damage in other ways. Mostly, their boredom drives them to innovation. I am bored with this, it has lost meaning…therefore everyone else must be bored, as well. It’s time to shake it up.

What they forget, then, is that while you, the minister, might be bored, the person to whom you are ministering probably is not. If they were, they wouldn’t be sitting in that pew, they wouldn’t be in that confessional, they wouldn’t be in that Communion line. Maybe.

That is:

Continued below.