Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At the end of the year, Cardinal Matteo Zuppi waves his rod against critics of the Fiducia Supplicans pontificate

(Rome) Resistance to the Roman declaration Fiducia supplicans on homosexual blessings is internal. There is great indignation among the faithful, including in Italy, where the maxim of not wanting to be “more papal than the Pope” applies. Cardinal Matteo Zuppi, the chairman of the Italian Bishops' Conference, now threatened to use the rod to discipline the clergy and believers.

Today TV2000, the bishops' television station, is broadcasting an interview with the cardinal as a review of the year and an outlook. Zuppi, with his unmistakable Roman accent, belongs to the Community of Sant'Egidio. He was appointed archbishop of Bologna, Italy's left-wing stronghold par excellence, by Pope Francis and created a cardinal. Zuppi is very close to Francis and is used by him as a peace mediator in the Ukrainian war. In addition, the 68-year-old cardinal is considered the Bergoglian papabile in the next conclave.

A central content of the interview was distributed in advance by the Italian state press agency ANSA. The wish is that this part of the message in particular should reach people. According to ANSA, Zuppi first emphasizes:

“There is a good dialectical relationship between the Italian Church and Pope Francis.”

To then get to the actual message:

"If you're Catholic and you don't have good relations with the Pope, then maybe you've forgotten that you're Catholic, I think."

In other words, anyone who does not follow Pope Francis “is not Catholic.” In the current context, the statement is obviously aimed at contradicting Fiducia supplicans.

Of course, the cardinal continued, this applies in principle to “every pope,” but of course, “as always in life,” one can feel “closer to one pope than to others” because of one’s own history, “because of sensitivity, because of some words.” but it’s always about the Pope.” However, the rod that Zuppi wields is intended to discipline the clergy and believers not for just any pope, but for Francis.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
At the end of the year, Cardinal Matteo Zuppi waves his rod against critics of the Fiducia Supplicans pontificate

(Rome) Resistance to the Roman declaration Fiducia supplicans on homosexual blessings is internal. There is great indignation among the faithful, including in Italy, where the maxim of not wanting to be “more papal than the Pope” applies. Cardinal Matteo Zuppi, the chairman of the Italian Bishops' Conference, now threatened to use the rod to discipline the clergy and believers.

Today TV2000, the bishops' television station, is broadcasting an interview with the cardinal as a review of the year and an outlook. Zuppi, with his unmistakable Roman accent, belongs to the Community of Sant'Egidio. He was appointed archbishop of Bologna, Italy's left-wing stronghold par excellence, by Pope Francis and created a cardinal. Zuppi is very close to Francis and is used by him as a peace mediator in the Ukrainian war. In addition, the 68-year-old cardinal is considered the Bergoglian papabile in the next conclave.

A central content of the interview was distributed in advance by the Italian state press agency ANSA. The wish is that this part of the message in particular should reach people. According to ANSA, Zuppi first emphasizes:

To then get to the actual message:

In other words, anyone who does not follow Pope Francis “is not Catholic.” In the current context, the statement is obviously aimed at contradicting Fiducia supplicans.

Of course, the cardinal continued, this applies in principle to “every pope,” but of course, “as always in life,” one can feel “closer to one pope than to others” because of one’s own history, “because of sensitivity, because of some words.” but it’s always about the Pope.” However, the rod that Zuppi wields is intended to discipline the clergy and believers not for just any pope, but for Francis.

Continued below.
The pope has for a few years now called people like me a lot of names. Neo-Pelagian, whatever that means. Backwardist. Sourpuss. A whole lot of other names. So I obviously do not have a good relationship with pope Francis from his point of view. He has been pushing me away. And now this fine cardinal tells me I'm not Catholic. Well, he can get me excommunicated me if he wants too. It's not for me to leave to go believe something else. Not in my plans at all.

• Prayers
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am reminded of Thomas More. He refused to acknowledge King Henry VIII as the head of the English church, and was arrested for it.

As he mounted the scaffolding to be executed, he was asked if he had any last words. He replied, "I am the King's good servant.....but God's first."

And me---I am the Pope's good servant....but Christ's first.

Upvote 0