AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So saying the truth is considered stupid to you?
Stupid is as stupid does, i.e.Trump. Truth has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, if you cared at all about truth, you'd recognize and acknowledge the stupidity of his comment.

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Stupid is as stupid does, i.e.Trump. Truth has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, if you cared at all about truth, you'd recognize and acknowledge the stupidity of his comment.
I am not sure that you answered my question.

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Wow.

Anyone who is obsessed with "truth" should have voted third-party in the last presidential election...

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Imagine the outcry if a democrat suggested the constitution were bad for the country.
I don't have to imagine it because Democrats don't even have to hint at the idea for Republicans to accuse them of hating the Constitution. That's been one of their go-to plays for years now.

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really not true at all since third party does not equal truth.

That wasn't my point, and I suspect you know that. Simply put, neither the Republican nor the Democrat nominee had a sparkling reputation for being truthful.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That wasn't my point, and I suspect you know that. Simply put, neither the Republican nor the Democrat nominee had a sparkling reputation for being truthful.
Wasn't sure actually, but it does make me think there really should be a none of the above option.

• Agree
Reactions: HawgWyld
Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wasn't sure actually, but it does make me think there really should be a none of the above option.

There's a problem there -- "none of the above" might sweep all federal elections.

Meanwhile, I've always thought it would be a great idea for all of us to insist on truthfulness from our politicians -- to hold them all to a very high standard considering the importance of the job they do. The problem with that, of course, is that how much we insist on truth depends on who happens to be in office, as if being truthful was an issue divided by party lines.

We see my fellow Republicans defending scoundrels when we have one in office and Democrats doing the same when they have a rascal in office. We can't demand excellence from candidates from the "other" party while putting up with almost any awful behavior from one of "our" candidates.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
What is the "half-truth"? Democrats are obstructing. You can argue with me as to whether or not such obstructionism is provoked/reasonable, but I am not even sure I believe it is unreasonable. Regardless, Trump did not tell a "half-truth."

"Democrats are currently obstructing" would have been a more truthful statement. "The Democrats are obstructionist" is a misleading statement that attempts to create a narrative about the Democratic party that is not bound by the current situation. The Democrats aren't even as obstructionist as the Republicans had been during the preceding administration. Trump's statement was a half-truth. Not quite a lie, but certainly not forthright/honest.

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
"Democrats are currently obstructing" would have been a more truthful statement. "The Democrats are obstructionist" is a misleading statement that attempts to create a narrative about the Democratic party that is not bound by the current situation. The Democrats aren't even as obstructionist as the Republicans had been during the preceding administration. Trump's statement was a half-truth. Not quite a lie, but certainly not forthright/honest.
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when they make a statement in passing.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when they make a statement in passing.

Trump's "statements in passing" include:

- I had the biggest electoral college victory since Reagan. (Demonstrably false)

- I had the largest inauguration audience ever. (Demonstrably false)

- Thousands and thousands of Muslims were cheering in Jersey City when the towers fell. (False). I saw it on TV. (Demonstrably false)

- I have the world's best memory. (If it were true, it would make his lies about his previous statements that much worse)

- I am the biggest and best at the military. (That's not even a thing)

He made one of his "largest crowd ever" claims again recently:

Trump says rally crowd broke records despite empty seats

Trump lies as a matter of habit. Politicians are, in general, dishonest. Trump is extremely dishonest, even compared to other politicians. Had his claim above been an outlier, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He swore on the Bible to uphold the Constitution on January 20.

Why are we surprised that even this oath is just another lie? Maybe in the course of testifying in the thousands of lawsuits in which he was a plaintiff or a defendant he got confused as to what was the truth or what wasn't.

His role models are people like Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. After the controversial referendum that expanded his powers passed, Trump was the only western leader, to my knowledge, who "congratulated" him.

Eventually, after much more hacking away than SHOULD be required, the teflon man will lose some of his veneer, and even his most ardent supporters will begin to come around.

Better it happens because we are warning them than when their children lose their CHIPS health insurance and a hospitalization bankrupts the family...right?

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Donald Trump blames constitution for chaos of his first 100 days

In an interview with Fox News to mark the 100-day mark, he declared himself “disappointed” with congressional Republicans, despite his many “great relationships” with them.

He blamed the constitutional checks and balances built in to US governance. “It’s a very rough system,” he said. “It’s an archaic system … It’s really a bad thing for the country.”

Finely a president that is not afraid to stand up for what is right! Let’s do away with the archaic piece of ancient history and draft a new and greater set of governance for the American people. One that doesn’t allow criminals to run amok, terrorists and illegals to enter, give money to people for doing nothing but sit at home, and taxes those of us that actually work to pay for all these “free benefits”. A system that supports those who actually work to make this country great and criminalizes those who work against it.

Thank you President Trump.
I would really be afraid of what politicians would come up with to replace the present constitution. Amendments seems to have worked much better than scraping the whole thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

If only all were so charitable. The Obama "57 states" meme still floats around here like a comet.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...the teflon man will lose some of his veneer, and even his most ardent supporters will begin to come around.

Don't bet on it. I used to think the same thing about Bill Clinton when he was governor of my beloved Arkansas. Instead of his supporters "coming around," the man wound up as president of the United States for two terms.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If only Trump could do whatever he wanted by mere fiat. I mean wouldn't it be easier if there was just one guy with all the power who could do anything he wanted by simply saying it?

Search Results
au·to·crat
ˈôdəˌkrat/
noun
noun: autocrat; plural noun: autocrats
a ruler who has absolute power.
synonyms: absolute ruler, dictator, despot, tyrant
"the former autocrat could be banned from traveling abroad while the investigation proceeds"

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0