‘Thoughts and prayers’: What good are they?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(OSV News) In a world where the 24/7 news cycle offers a ceaseless tide of disasters, a natural Christian inclination has become a polarizing catchphrase. Whether the news is yet another senseless mass shooting, a disastrous act of nature, or the illness of a loved one, there’s a one-size-fits-all, yet real, response: prayer.

Unfortunately, our urge to send our “thoughts and prayers” over social media is such a common and reflexive response that it has become devalued in the eyes of many. Wikipedia even has a “Thoughts and Prayers” entry, tracking times when the words have been offered seemingly in place of actual assistance or intentional corrective action.

Meant as a consolation, the words “thoughts and prayers” are often seen as a senseless murmur offered in place of greatly needed societal change.

I’m guilty of being quick to send “thoughts and prayers” in my timelines. The phrase is such a part of my lexicon that it’s become predictive text in my smartphone. I use it nearly every day on social media feeds, where the needs of others seem to rise to the top of my algorithm, like a strangely theological cream. The needs of friends feel omnipresent. Helpless to assist otherwise, I offer “thoughts and prayers,” hoping to convey my nearness, even when I am far away.

But in my haste to be compassionate, I’m too often guilty of typing these words thoughtlessly and moving along without stopping to truly pray. Lately, I’m challenging myself to do something more than clicking the prayer emoji when I’m met with the suffering of others.

But I haven’t given up on “thoughts and prayers.” Being on the receiving end of hundreds of such offerings following my recent cancer diagnosis has convinced me that the message matters. When I began to share my news publicly, hundreds of digital “thoughts and prayers” came my way, and they made all the difference in the world.

Continued below.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand prayers, but I don't get thoughts and "good vibes". Where do they go? It's like people have lost their sense of logic.

lol ... yes, I do not get the "good vibes" thing, either!
(Kinda "spooky"! lol)

I suppose if we were to research it, we might find it sourced in new age thinking or something ...

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand prayers, but I don't get thoughts and "good vibes". Where do they go? It's like people have lost their sense of logic.
I think it comes from the spiritualized atheism of "New Age" coolness, an "unPersonalized" quasi-supernatural force-field presumed to permeate the cosmos, that would smile upon such "good vibes" if "It" could smile. :confused:

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0