‘Our children, our rights’: Scores of parents hit rally opposing MoCo schools’ LGBTQ policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,142,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be clear, I was speaking of Paul's claim to know what everyone "knows" about "god" and not his morbid punishment fantasies. (That old "look at the trees" argument.) He is quite wrong about everyone knowing about god from looking at what exists in nature. Even believers don't all have such impressions.

To be clear, too, I fully understand the referrential difficulty we all have with some one verse or two written by Paul that is constantly quoted by Christians but REALLY has no clear meaning----at least not from the immediate context of only the letter in which it is a part.

I don't think that Paul was actually claiming that all humanity "knows God's Will" in the same way that many Christians unfortunately today insist that he does. His cultural and epistemic environment couldn't possibly have provided the same perspective and justification that many Christians today attempt to assert that it is; they insist that what Paul was saying is essentially an unsaid "magically inclined" fiat. No, I don't think Paul was referring to a "magical fiat" of spiritual recognition. To think he meant this is to be negligent in our reading and handling of the biblical text. This isn't to handle the text in a scholarly way.

That's not what Paul was saying. Paul was Jewish and one who lived in the 1st century. We need to stop assuming he saw the world and thought in the same way that a modern day Christian Fundamentalist/Apologist would tend to think. And it wasn't just "look at the trees." To mis-apply our interpretation methods in this way, too, can also bring a misconstrual going the other way. He thought in moral and natural categories typical of his Jewish and 1st century perspective, such as he mentioned in his Sermon on Mars Hill-----not the American perspective where either Modern Science or Fundie Christian definitions rule on either side of human conceptions about perceived reality ..................

The problem here is that I don't see anyone really applying a full investigation about how [various] 1st century Jewish people thought about the world. No, many people today want to claim that reading the Bible is "simple," which then allows them to ignore the many historical and cultural contexts which play into what are more or less still enigmatic statements in the bible (from Paul, even). This in turn then plays into various political machinations that folks have now, especially in the U.S.

This is unacceptable. Ignorance and anti-intellectualism are unacceptable. Polemical gerrymandering of terms for the sake of political gains (on either side) is also unacceptable, and I think this goes whether we're reading the Bible or we're listening in on a reading of a pro-LGBTQ+ story for children in a public school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
To be clear, too, I fully understand the referrential difficulty we all have with some one verse or two written by Paul that is constantly quoted by Christians but REALLY has no clear meaning----at least not from the immediate context of only the letter in which it is a part.

I don't think that Paul was actually claiming that all humanity "knows God's Will" in the same way that many Christians unfortunately today insist that he does. His cultural and epistemic environment couldn't possibly have provided the same perspective and justification that many Christians today attempt to assert that it is; they insist that what Paul was saying is essentially an unsaid "magically inclined" fiat. No, I don't think Paul was referring to a "magical fiat" of spiritual recognition. To think he meant this is to be negligent in our reading and handling of the biblical text. This isn't to handle the text in a scholarly way.

OK, we can discard the "magic" and universality and stick to Paul's community. Certainly such would apply now to those who have heard the gospels and the teachings of Paul, that is you and I, so certainly *we* are "without excuse" by Paul's reconning. Paul then proceeds to both characterize how those of us who either reject or do not find convincing the things Paul preaches will substitute for worship of god other worship and then "descend" into certain sexual activities. I know of many who've known the gospel and abandoned it without engaging in alternative worship.

That's not what Paul was saying. Paul was Jewish and one who lived in the 1st century. We need to stop assuming he saw the world and thought in the same way that a modern day Christian Fundamentalist/Apologist would tend to think. And it wasn't just "look at the trees." To mis-apply our interpretation methods in this way, too, can also bring a misconstrual going the other way. He thought in moral and natural categories typical of his Jewish and 1st century perspective, such as he mentioned in his Sermon on Mars Hill-----not the American perspective where either Modern Science or Fundie Christian definitions rule on either side of human conceptions about perceived reality ..................

I don't have a fundamentalist bible with fundamentalist footnotes. I don't read the writings of fundamentalists on biblical interpretation, nor have I ever. (I should thank them for presenting interpretations I disagreed with of various texts. It broke the seal that eventually allowed me to find the interpretations I'd accepted as wrong.)

The problem here is that I don't see anyone really applying a full investigation about how [various] 1st century Jewish people thought about the world. No, many people today want to claim that reading the Bible is "simple," which then allows them to ignore the many historical and cultural contexts which play into what are more or less still enigmatic statements in the bible (from Paul, even). This in turn then plays into various political machinations that folks have now, especially in the U.S.
If you want to turn the writings of Paul into an artifact of the 1st century Roman Jewish world and leave them there, I am fine with that. I would prefer they sit dusty on the shelf except for historical understandings. That's not the world we live in, now is it? To the extent I care about this passage (a full page including footnotes), it is only because people use it against others (including myself).

Whether you like it or not (and you make it abundantly clear that you do not like it), they use that half-chapter to make several claims against people like me:

1. That we know God exists and just deny it (they are wrong, what would be the point of denying the existence of a god you knew to be real);
2. That we worship other things in place of God (for some this is true, but I have not interest in worship of any kind); and
3. That this leads to succumbing to "unnatural desires" for which there is a "just punishment". (I've never seen any evidence that a homosexual orientation is tied to rejection of god, or any of these other things.)

(For the record: No, I really don't "know God exists". No, I don't worship anything, nor do I find that a worthy activity for free beings. And finally, no, I've never been gay, nor did I become so inclined when I "rejected God". This interpretation of Paul is self-defeating unless one must stubbornly cling to it's "truth".)

If it wasn't for the third of these items and the tie to the Levitical law, no one would be bringing up that chapter in threads like this.

This is unacceptable. Ignorance and anti-intellectualism are unacceptable.
And here we go. Quick you are to stomp on disinterest in theology as "anti-intellectualism". For shame.
Polemical gerrymandering of terms for the sake of political gains (on either side) is also unacceptable, and I think this goes whether we're reading the Bible or we're listening in on a reading of a pro-LGBTQ+ story for children in a public school.

Why not aim some of this on your fellow Christians who misuse Paul's "Romans 1" writings because they don't understand it properly? Educate them that that isn't what Paul is saying. Let *them* know that homosexuality doesn't come from a rejection of God as they misinterpret and cite psychological and sociological research to show them otherwise. I'll be glad to have your back if you want (though I'm not sure I'd be an asset as an ally).

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,142,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, we can discard the "magic" and universality and stick to Paul's community. Certainly such would apply now to those who have heard the gospels and the teachings of Paul, that is you and I, so certainly *we* are "without excuse" by Paul's reconning. Paul then proceeds to both characterize how those of us who either reject or do not find convincing the things Paul preaches will substitute for worship of god other worship and then "descend" into certain sexual activities. I know of many who've known the gospel and abandoned it without engaging in alternative worship.

No, it's ***NOT*** ""certainly"" applicable in the same way as it was for Paul when evaluated from today's perspective (by which I "mean" a robust scholarly perspective).

Which is exactly what I've been attempting to explain ................. unfortunately, I've not been clear enough and have contributed to your mis-interpretation of what I've said.

Moreover, because it's NOT certainly in this case, this is more reason that Christians should, in today's 21st century world, extend graciousness and mercy to the LGBTQ+ community since "understanding God through Jesus" is so very difficult to do. It might also prompt Christians to concentrate more on chapters 2 and 3 of Romans than chapter 1 alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, it's ***NOT*** ""certainly"" applicable in the same way as it was for Paul when evaluated from today's perspective (by which I "mean" a robust scholarly perspective).

Which is exactly what I've been attempting to explain ................. unfortunately, I've not been clear enough and have contributed to your mis-interpretation of what I've said.

And I only care about how it is used, not some nebulous notion of the "correct" interpretation. Why don't you go deal with the Christians misapplying this bit of text?

If some Christian wants to tell me that I'm just "suppressing" my knowledge of god, I will push back on them, but I'm not going to make some argument about how they are getting Paul wrong. Because I don't care about various interpretations. I'd cast Paul into the dustbin of history for those interested in ancient writings, but no, some people insist on elevating his writings and using them as arguments 2000 years later. So, I must deal with their claims as the write them.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,142,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I only care about how it is used, not some nebulous notion of the "correct" interpretation. Why don't you go deal with the Christians misapplying this bit of text?
I have. And I do. In this thread, however, I'm addressing everyone, not just you, Hans.

Don't worry. In explaining what I'm explaining, I'm not singling you out.
If some Christian wants to tell me that I'm just "suppressing" my knowledge of god, I will push back on them, but I'm not going to make some argument about how they are getting Paul wrong. Because I don't care about various interpretations. I'd cast Paul into the dustbin of history for those interested in ancient writings, but no, some people insist on elevating his writings and using them as arguments 2000 years later. So, I must deal with their claims as the write them.

And if some Christian tells me that I'm suprressing my knowledge of God, I will push back on them as well. Why? Because I live in the 21st century and, like Einstein or Oppenheimer, I don't ASSUME the same pre-modern epistemological routes of thought that Paul did. Mine are Modern, and thereby, that allows me to both understand some aspects of Paul's thought while realizing that Science and Scholarship today justify claims and evalute the world around us not just differently, but much more technically.

So. I can affirm Paul for my own spiritual, private goals on a more general, cursory level without getting all puffed up in identifying with him epistemologically. This also keeps me more toward the apolitical where LGBTQ issues are concerned. My concern is accurate thinking, not "changing the laws of our nation."

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that was silly of them. I mean you had only claimed you could choose to find women sexually attractive.
/s

It is a silly gotcha question from Ketanji Brown Jackson's appointment. No one one is incapable of defining woman and it is irrelevant.

I'm curious. What is the qualitative difference between the people one this board arguing that they should be able to opt out and LGBTQ people arguing for what they believe to be their rights? One you label as a "victim stance" and the other not so what is the criteria you are using?

Kind of like African Americans, American Indians, and other marginalized groups. How can you claim to love them when you don't seem to be able to understand the basics about respecting them?
Huh? I’m black. I don’t get it. I asked if you were a parent not to say gotcha- but to also say there maybe some things you can’t view from my perspective as a woman and second mother. But not answering the question shows distrust and a lack of transparency from your end. If we are truly having informational dialogue, then answering the question is critical.

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
How many times do I need to answer this question for you? Again, it is not relevant.
And why do you think it’s not relevant when the topic is parents rally-. It’s ok if you are but a parent. You refusing to answer gives me your answer. That’s like if a topic was about race and someone ask am I black. It doesn’t make sense for me not to answer the question. It appears as if you don’t want to answer so I can not prove a point. But the point wasn’t gotcha-

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And if some Christian tells me that I'm suprressing my knowledge of God, I will push back on them as well.
Not sure why they would, you are after all a Christian, and this "suppression" thing is a weapon wielded against
Why? Because I live in the 21st century and, like Einstein or Oppenheimer, I don't ASSUME the same pre-modern epistemological routes of thought that Paul did.
We're not talking about space-time curvature, so not sure what Einstein or Oppenheimer have to do with this or the price of milk. Doubt either of them gave much thought to Paul either, not being Christians.

Mine are Modern, and thereby, that allows me to both understand some aspects of Paul's thought while realizing that Science and Scholarship today justify claims and evalute the world around us not just differently, but much more technically.
OK, fine, but...
So. I can affirm Paul for my own spiritual, private goals on a more general, cursory level without getting all puffed up in identifying with him epistemologically. This also keeps me more toward the apolitical where LGBTQ issues are concerned. My concern is accurate thinking, not "changing the laws of our nation."
It's this last item that is the subject of this thread (and soooo many others on this sub-forum, and the "US politics" one, sigh.)

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟917,663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Huh? I’m black. I don’t get it. I asked if you were a parent not to say gotcha- but to also say there maybe some things you can’t view from my perspective as a woman and second mother. But not answering the question shows distrust and a lack of transparency from your end. If we are truly having informational dialogue, then answering the question is critical.
Are you even reading what I am posting? I already answered this question for you in this thread. No, I have no children I am aware of.

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Are you even reading what I am posting? I already answered this question for you in this thread. No, I have no children I am aware of.
Belk, thank you.:) now was that hard. And yes the post you post to me some of the other ones. Last i read you said it was irrelevant. But thank you for answering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Can you agree that there's a possibility tummy view point as a woman- assuming you are a Man- and as a mother holds any weight?

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. Which part of this link do you feel is pertaining to the question?
Let me ask you did you negate the fact that i am a parent? Does that hold any weight? Look at cognitive reasoning for 3-5 year olds.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,762,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

1689013773929.png

This thread is closed. It has gone off-topic and there are other violations like goading.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.