‘I Feel I Have Arrived Home’: Former Anglican Bishop Discusses His Journey to the Catholic Church

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On July 2, Richard Pain became the 11th such bishop to be received into the Church.

“I honestly feel I have arrived home,” says Richard Pain, who, on July 2, became the 11th former Anglican bishop — and the first Anglican bishop of Wales — to be received into the Catholic Church through the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham since its creation in 2011.

In July 18 comments to the Register, the former Bishop of Monmouth in Wales discussed his journey to the Catholic Church and explained how, although he has found “a delightful home” in the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, he does not see becoming a Catholic as “a panacea for those disillusioned by Anglicanism” but as “a step in the right direction for me personally.”

Born in London in 1956, Pain was ordained an Anglican priest in the Church in Wales at Newport Cathedral in 1986. He served all his ministry in the diocese of Monmouth, much of it in forming clergy, and was elected bishop of Monmouth in 2013. Married with two sons, he retired as bishop of Monmouth in 2019.

Of the 11 former Anglican bishops who have been received into the Catholic Church since 2011, eight have entered the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham and three have joined a diocese. So far, nine have been ordained to the priesthood.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
On July 2, Richard Pain became the 11th such bishop to be received into the Church.

“I honestly feel I have arrived home,” says Richard Pain, who, on July 2, became the 11th former Anglican bishop — and the first Anglican bishop of Wales — to be received into the Catholic Church through the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham since its creation in 2011.

In July 18 comments to the Register, the former Bishop of Monmouth in Wales discussed his journey to the Catholic Church and explained how, although he has found “a delightful home” in the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, he does not see becoming a Catholic as “a panacea for those disillusioned by Anglicanism” but as “a step in the right direction for me personally.”

Born in London in 1956, Pain was ordained an Anglican priest in the Church in Wales at Newport Cathedral in 1986. He served all his ministry in the diocese of Monmouth, much of it in forming clergy, and was elected bishop of Monmouth in 2013. Married with two sons, he retired as bishop of Monmouth in 2019.

Of the 11 former Anglican bishops who have been received into the Catholic Church since 2011, eight have entered the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham and three have joined a diocese. So far, nine have been ordained to the priesthood.

Continued below.
How many Catholic bishops, even retired ones, have in the meantime become Anglican/Episcopalian? There ARE some I’d be willing to trade with them, but have any actually swam the Thames?

There was a priest in Florida some years ago that did. He and his girlfriend finally got married. Are there others? Or is it mostly a one way street for clergy? I imagine 40 years ago some priests who left to marry back then could have done so.

There was an African archbishop who joined the Moonies about 30 years ago. And they married him off in an arranged marriage. That’s the only bishop I know of.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Continued below.
I actually think we should promote the trade of bishops. Even cardinals. Cupich or McElroy for a few Episcopal priests or bishops to be named later sounds like a great deal.

But in the mean time let them come.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How many Catholic bishops, even retired ones, have in the meantime become Anglican/Episcopalian? There ARE some I’d be willing to trade with them, but have any actually swam the Thames?

There was a priest in Florida some years ago that did. He and his girlfriend finally got married. Are there others? Or is it mostly a one way street for clergy? I imagine 40 years ago some priests who left to marry back then could have done so.

There was an African archbishop who joined the Moonies about 30 years ago. And they married him off in an arranged marriage. That’s the only bishop I know of.
Ah! Fr. Cutie.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ah! Fr. Cutie.
He was special. He had freely chosen celibacy until he didn't. Girlfriend on the side and he got caught. Married her at least. Made her an honest woman. I wonder if he's still married to her.

Anyway, welcome to the new Catholic Richard Pain, former Anglican bishop of Monmouth, and now part of the Ordinariate.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was special. He had freely chosen celibacy until he didn't. Girlfriend on the side and he got caught. Married her at least. Made her an honest woman. I wonder if he's still married to her.

Anyway, welcome to the new Catholic Richard Pain, former Anglican bishop of Monmouth, and now part of the Ordinariate.
Yes they are still married and have children now. They both went to the Episcopal church as she was his Catholic parishioner when they met.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes they are still married and have children now. They both went to the Episcopal church as she was his Catholic parishioner when they met.
Normally a pastor/parishioner relationship like a teacher/student or officer/enlisted or boss/employee relationship is considered inappropriate. Or it used to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums