‘Exodus 90’ Helps Catholic Men Shed Earthly Pleasures’ ‘Numbing Agents’ to Receive God’s Grace

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tommy was 30 weeks in utero when he died in the womb of Rob Dauses’ wife, Shannon.

The loss hit hard and lasted. For several years, Rob used what he calls “numbing agents” — including alcohol and his cellphone.

Though he and Shannon were churchgoing Catholics, God wasn’t his first stop in the grieving process.

“I never really engaged with my faith in any meaningful ways. I was kind of going through the motions,” Douses said.

About five years ago, a fellow who sat two pews in front suggested Exodus 90, a Catholic-oriented spiritual program for men. For 90 days, participants agree to give up hot showers, alcohol, soda, snacks, sweets, television, video games, unnecessary purchases and unnecessary use of cellphones and the internet.

They also agree each day to read and reflect on selected passages from Scripture, make a morning offering, make a Holy Hour, and make a nightly examination of conscience. Adherents eat no meat on Wednesdays and Fridays, and on those days they eat only one full meal, with two smaller ones.

Continued below.