‘A Christian cannot be an anti-Semite,’ Pope Francis tells Jewish delegation at Vatican

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I disagree in that there are many within the Christian Churches that are anti-Semites ( I have met many but it is not what Christ taught) but here is what Pope Francis told a Jewish delegation at Vatican on November 6, 2018. You might be shocked to find out that the official position of the Jewish Virtual Library is:

We condemn all discriminatory measures against any religious or racial group. We proclaim with Pope Pius XI that "it is not possible for Christians to have any part in anti-Semitism." By attacking a people from whom Christ was born, anti-Semitism is manifestly anti-Christian in its roots. Every doctrine is contrary to Christianity that mistakenly or out of hatred prevents men from exercising their natural rights by reason of their ethnic or religious affiliation. If individuals or established social and religious groups harm the common good, punishment for such acts should be meted out according to the responsibilities of the persons involved. Preventative measures cannot deprive any individual of his natural rights and of the conditions of a free, dignified, and humane life-that the state by reason of its existence ought to guarantee to each person. Every exceptional or discriminatory law is unjust. We know moreover that Christians ought not only care for themselves and their interests but also for the good of their brothers and the future of justice and law. The abominable racial, religious, and political persecutions which today bloody the word wound the health of each of us who belong to Christ.

Jacques Maritain, Oeuvres Completes, vol. 7, 1224.Quoted in: Jacques Maritain and the Jews, ed. by Robert Royal (Notre Dame 1994).

‘A Christian cannot be an anti-Semite,’ Pope Francis tells Jewish delegation at Vatican
November 6, 2018
'A Christian cannot be an anti-Semite,' Pope Francis tells Jewish delegation at Vatican - Jewish Telegraphic Agency

(JTA) — Pope Francis lamented anti-Semitic attacks and spread a message to ban anti-Semitism during an audience with Jewish emissaries.

On Monday, the pope for the first time at the Vatican received delegates from the World Congress of Mountain Jews, descendants of Jews who left ancient Persia and settled in the Caucasus.

Two weeks after the attack on a Pittsburgh synagogue that killed 11 worshippers, Francis read a statement at the meeting that said “Sadly, anti-Semitic attitudes are also present in our own times.

“A Christian cannot be an anti-Semite; we share the same roots. It would be a contradiction of faith and life. Rather, we are called to commit ourselves to ensure anti-Semitism is banned from the human community,” he said.

The day after the Pittsburgh attack, the Francis said in his weekly prayers that “all of us are wounded by this inhuman act of violence.”

The Argentina-born pope, the former archbishop of Buenos Aires, was close to the victims of the terrorist attack on a Jewish target in his hometown.

Francis also told the Mountain Jews: “I have always sought to emphasize the importance of friendship between Jews and Catholics. It is based on a fraternity grounded in the history of salvation and it finds concrete expression in concern for one another. Together with you, I would like to offer thanks to the Giver of every gift for the blessing of our friendship, which is a reason and an impetus to mutual dialogue.”

The pope closed his remarks with “Shalom aleichem!”

Anti-semitic | Definition of Anti-semitic by Merriam-Webster
: relating to or characterized by anti-Semitism : feeling or showing hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a cultural, racial, or ethnic group

Definition of anti-Semitism
: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

Many Christians do not consider anti-Judaism to be antisemitism. They regard anti-Judaism as a disagreement of religiously sincere people with the tenets of Judaism, while regarding antisemitism as an emotional bias or hatred not specifically targeting the religion of Judaism.

Is Christianity Anti-Semitic? by Barry Leventhal
Is Christianity Anti-Semitic? • Jews for Jesus

Anti-Semitism in Christianity Today
https://int.icej.org/susans-blog/anti-semitism-christianity-today

Jewish Virtual Library - Anti-Semitism Table of Contents

Last edited:

TheDaniël

Oct 19, 2018
Kampen
✟18,148.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Private
It is true, i have been around many anti semites while atheist. I will tell you something. I started to believe them. But now that the Book of the Law of the LORD has been opened, i don't understand why people are so stupid!

If i knew a few years (6) ago that i would be believing in "a" Jewish God, i would go mad. But i am a witness of YHWH. If i want it or not. I can say; "Oi the JEWS! EW! You mean those nosey people?" But that would be dumb because Israël iabove s made up from many tribes; blacks whites chinese and no muslims.

Upvote 0

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I worked with a man that was a Deacon in his Christian church that so hated Jews it was visually physically painful for him to admit Jesus was born a Jew and even then he had so many excuses how Jesus was not "really" in fact a Jew.

Upvote 0

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A Christian can't be an anti-Semite any more than a Christian can be a murderer or adulterer. It's contrary to the moral law to hate any group, particularly God's own people.

That is the teachings of Jesus and the words G_d set down in the Bible yet there have been millions of people claiming to be Christians even in some of the highest places of some Christian denominations that have openly practiced anti-Semitism even in it vilest forms. Do I need name some?

Upvote 0