South Eastern Michigan
✟9,259.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys, sorry I'm typing in English, but I have some questions to ask of the Austrians that prowl this forum.

Before I start, I'd like to let everyone know of my situation. My family is Austrian, but I was born in the United States. My grandpa and grandma came to the U.S. when they learned of the numerous medical jobs available in the Midwest. My father was born and raised in America, but he spent every summer in Austria. I have loads of family members living in the Kärnten area, but have barely met most of them. (On a side note, I also have duel citizenship with Austria.)

This year, I have saved up the money and I am FINALLY making the trip to Austria. I am very exited, you have no idea. I have looked forward to this since I was a little kid. I have taken two years of German, and know how to speak it fairly fluently. (Although I can't write it to save my life: Note the English)

Now to the questions.

What are some things that you need to know when visiting Austria when it comes to language? (The German that I have been taught is the Northern German dialect, I am wondering if there are any minor Austrian variations that I need to know about.)

What are some places in Austria that you recommend visiting? (I already know that I want to visit Stefensdom, the Hofburg, Hallstatt, Salzburg, Hochosterwitz, and the Melk Abbey to name a few. I will also be spending a lot of time in the Villach area.)

Lastly I would appreciate it if you would add any other interesting things that you think it would be good to know about before visiting. Thanks for your time! :wave:

(P.S. I just read my post and I realize that I sound a lot more clueless and tourist-ish than I wanted to. I know a lot about Austria already, but I would love to get information from permanent residents. ):)

Ainuhina

Lord, send Revival - start with me!
Nov 7, 2004
Graz, Austria
Visit site
✟35,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Vastavus said:
What are some things that you need to know when visiting Austria when it comes to language? (The German that I have been taught is the Northern German dialect, I am wondering if there are any minor Austrian variations that I need to know about.)

Austrian German is slightly different from german german ;) kind of a dialect, but everyone in Austria can speak proper german.....so once they see your puzzeled look when you don't understand they will start speaking proper german....and by the way we also learn english at school for at least 6 years....

What are some places in Austria that you recommend visiting? (I already know that I want to visit Stefensdom, the Hofburg, Hallstatt, Salzburg, Hochosterwitz, and the Melk Abbey to name a few. I will also be spending a lot of time in the Villach area.)

maybe the Eisriesenwelt (is in Kärnten)...a large cave with icestatues (made by mother nature ;)) and a lot of staires....if you go there you'd better dress like you would do in midwinter - once you get inside it's very cold....

Salzburg is always worth a visit...especially the Altstadt (mehlgasse, Burg, Mozarts birthplace,....)

You maybe could go for a visit to Piberstein - the place where the breed the Lippizaner....

what else is there worth visiting :scratch: ...maybe go hiking...somewhere in kärnten...they've got nice mountains there....

Or come to visit my city, Graz....not much to see except tha old town center but I like it ;)

Lastly I would appreciate it if you would add any other interesting things that you think it would be good to know about before visiting.

don't try to go somewhere by train...it will take you hours and you'll be faster when you go by car...

don't forget your umbrella...Austria tends to be very rainy in summer (in fact there are places where you can have 2 weeks of rain without break - normally just at the time and place you stay for holiday)

you could go swimming in one of the many Kärntner Seen...they are beautiful to swim in but sometimes the water is really cold....

some Austrians don't like Americans (politics, etc.) but normally they don't show it too much....

Austrian bus and train system is very expensive.....

can't think of anything else right now....

:wave:

(P.S. I just read my post and I realize that I sound a lot more clueless and tourist-ish than I wanted to. I know a lot about Austria already, but I would love to get information from permanent residents. ):) [/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
Gänseblümchen said:
Hey, wos i no sagn wollt, i find, dass they Steier a vü lässigen Dialekt ham, weil gestern hab i mei Sculkollegin sprechen hörn und des war sehr intressant.
Des is mei eigener Dialekt, wenn i mal net Hochdeutsch red.
*g*

Cu, Fee

Das Reden in Zungen ist hier auf das Forum für die Pfingstkirchen beschränkt! :D

Gruß
Bonifatius

Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
Ainuhina said:
sog amal verstechst du net amal a klans bissal stoasteirisch ????? ;)

Doch schon, aber wenn ich zu dem deutschen Sprachengewirr aus Schwäbisch, Sächsisch, Bayrisch und Plattdeutsch jetzt auch noch die Ösiländer-Dialekte hinzunehmen soll ... Vielleicht unterhalten wir uns dann lieber auf Englisch ;-)

Wohnst Du in Graz?
Das ist eine traumhaft schöne Stadt, war vor Jahren mal da, es hat den ganzen Tag geregnet, aber trotzdem war ich begeistert ...

Grüß
tom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ainuhina

Lord, send Revival - start with me!
Nov 7, 2004
Graz, Austria
Visit site
✟35,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Bonifatius said:
Wohnst Du in Graz?

Bin zumindest dort geboren und hab die ersten Jahre meines Lebens dort gewohnt....jetzt wohn ich in Pirka...ein kleiner Ort in der Nähe von Graz....

Regen haben wir hier mehr als genug (kann schon mal vorkommen das es länger nicht regnet aber das ist eher selten)....

:wave:

PS: Österreicher können auch Hochdeutsch reden wenn sie wollen, Dialekt verwenden wir im Normalfall eh nur untereinander ;)

Upvote 0