Jun 28, 2007
chicago il
✟5,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Peace on Earth and Goodwill to all men.

Why, because we feed and shelter the less fortunate on this one day called Christmas?

Shouldn't we care for the less fortunate all year long?

Retailers increase the prices on merchandise, to try to recover from poor sales from the 1st three-quarters of the fiscal year

Upvote 0

ozell

Jun 28, 2007
chicago il
✟5,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The New Year is the day that marks the beginning of a new calendar year, and is the day on which the year count of the specific calendar used is incremented. In many cultures, the event is celebrated in some manner.[1]

The New Year of the Gregorian calendar, today in worldwide use, falls on 1 January, continuing the practice of the Roman calendar. There are numerous calendars that remain in regional use that calculate the New Year individually.

Historical Christian new year dates

The year used in dates during the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire was the consular year, which began on the day when consuls first entered office — probably 1 May before 222 BC, 15 March from 222 BC to 154 BC, but this event was moved to 1 January in 153 BC.[16] In 45 BC, Julius Caesar introduced the Julian calendar, continuing to use 1 January as the first day of the new year.

In the Middle Ages in Europe a number of significant feast days in the ecclesiastical calendar of the Roman Catholic Church came to be used as the beginning of the Julian year:

New Year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

ozell

Jun 28, 2007
chicago il
✟5,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word year is etymologically the same as hour (Skeat), and signifies a going, movement etc. In Semitic, the word for "year" signifies repetition, sc. of the course of the sun (Gesenius).

Since there was no necessary starting-point in the circle of the year, we find among different nations, and among the same at different epochs of their history, a great variety of dates with which the new year began.

The opening of spring was a natural beginning, and in the Bible itself there is a close relationship between the beginning of the year and the seasons.

The ancient Roman year began in March, but Julius Caesar, in correcting the calendar (46 B.C.), made January the first month.

Though this custom has been universally adopted among Christian nations, the names, September, October, November, and December (i.e., the seventh, eight, ninth, and tenth), remind us of the past, when March began the year.

Christian writers and councils condemned the heathen orgies and excesses connected with the festival of the Saturnalia, which were celebrated at the beginning of the year:

Tertullian blames Christians who regarded the customary presents — called strenae (Fr. étrennes) from the goddess Strenia, who presided over New Year's Day (cf. Ovid, Fasti, 185-90) — as mere tokens of friendly intercourse (De Idol. xiv), and towards the end of the sixth century the Council of Auxerre (can. I) forbade Christians strenas diabolicas observare. T

he II Council of Tours held in 567 (can. 17) prescribes prayers and a Mass of expiation for New Year's Day, adding that this is a practice long in use (patres nostri statuerunt). Dances were forbidden, and pagan crimes were to be expiated by Christian fasts (St. Augustine, Serm., cxcvii-viii in P.L., XXXVIII, 1024; Isidore of Seville, De Div. Off. Eccl., I, xli; Trullan Council, 692, can. lxii).

When Christmas was fixed on 25 Dec.,

New Year's Day was sanctified by commemorating on it the Circumcision, for which feast the Gelasian Sacramentary gives a Mass (In Octabas Domini). Christians did not wish to make the celebration of this feast very solemn, lest they might seem to countenance in any way the pagan extravagance of the opening year.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: New Year's Day

Upvote 0

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually ozell retailers lower the prices drastically to sell more in quantity and liquidate stock to make money. They jack up the prices during the rest of the year, which leads me too believe they should reduce prices all year round in the spirit of giving. It's all worthess anyways because it's all about material greed and I don't think the Lord really cares about how much we paid for a zhuzhu pet. However I would like to caution those that participate in black Friday shopping to always be aware you are an example. God doesn't really care how much you pay for a zhuzhu pet or if you have one, but he does care about how you go about getting one and the lengths that greed can cause some to go to.

Upvote 0

ozell

Jun 28, 2007
chicago il
✟5,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Beginning of the year

The year used in dates during the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire was the consular year, which began on the day when consuls first entered office—probably 1 May before 222 BC, 15 March from 222 BC and 1 January from 153 BC.[31] The Julian calendar, which began in 45 BC, continued to use 1 January as the first day of the new year.

Even though the year used for dates changed, the civil year always displayed its months in the order January through December from the Roman Republican period until the present.

During the Middle Ages, under the influence of the Christian Church, many Western European countries moved the start of the year to one of several important Christian festivals—

25 December (the Nativity of Jesus),

25 March (Annunciation), or

Easter (France),[23] while the Byzantine Empire began its year on 1 September and Russia did so on 1 March until 1492 when the year was moved to 1 September.[32]

In common usage, 1 January was regarded as New Year's Day and celebrated as such,[33] but from the 12th century until 1751 the legal year in England began on 25 March (Lady Day).[34]

So, for example, the Parliamentary record lists the execution of Charles I as occurring in 1648 (as the year did not end until 24 March),[35] although modern histories adjust the start of the year to 1 January and record the execution as occurring in 1649.[36]

Most Western European countries changed the start of the year to 1 January before they adopted the Gregorian calendar.

For example, Scotland changed the start of the Scottish New Year to 1 January in 1600 (this means that 1599 was a short year).

England, Ireland and the British colonies changed the start of the year to 1 January in 1752 (so 1751 was a short year with only 282 days).

Later that year in September the Gregorian calendar was introduced throughout Britain and the British colonies (see the section Adoption).

These two reforms were implemented by the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750.[22]

In some countries, an official decree or law specified that the start of the year should be 1 January.

For such countries we can identify a specific year when a 1 January-year became the norm. But in other countries the customs varied, and the start of the year moved back and forth as fashion and influence from other countries dictated various customs.

Gregorian calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

ozell

Jun 28, 2007
chicago il
✟5,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually ozell retailers lower the prices drastically to sell more in quantity and liquidate stock to make money. They jack up the prices during the rest of the year, which leads me too believe they should reduce prices all year round in the spirit of giving. It's all worthess anyways because it's all about material greed and I don't think the Lord really cares about how much we paid for a zhuzhu pet. However I would like to caution those that participate in black Friday shopping to always be aware you are an example. God doesn't really care how much you pay for a zhuzhu pet or if you have one, but he does care about how you go about getting one and the lengths that greed can cause some to go to.

actually Brother

the prices are increased the places where these items are made a lot cheaper than what we pay for them!!!

please understand!!

God cares about the paganism and lies associated with His Holy Name !!!

Upvote 0

tackattack

Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
over inflation of prices, more than manufacturers cost, is rampant all year. But because of shopping days like "black Friday" where prices are lowered due to consumer inrease in purchasing prices are lowered. The companies of course aren't going to put themselve at a loss, but it does give us all a good look at what the prices could be all year round if they weren't so concerned with lining their own pockets.

As far as God caring, 1 John 2:15-17, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] 2:12, for just a few. Of course God wants us to expose them in the light of a compassionate and caring God, but worldliness and dwelling on the things of the world is a hinderance to us standing apart from this world. My only point was whether we all participate or not in consumerism, to be a good Christian loving exxample. I've seen many a righteous and pous Christian turn into aworldly mongrel on Black Friday, when the season is truly about appreciating our gift from God and in turn sharing our gifts and brotherly love towards our fellow man.

Upvote 0

ozell

Jun 28, 2007
chicago il
✟5,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
over inflation of prices, more than manufacturers cost, is rampant all year. But because of shopping days like "black Friday" where prices are lowered due to consumer inrease in purchasing prices are lowered. The companies of course aren't going to put themselve at a loss, but it does give us all a good look at what the prices could be all year round if they weren't so concerned with lining their own pockets.

As far as God caring, 1 John 2:15-17, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] 2:12, for just a few. Of course God wants us to expose them in the light of a compassionate and caring God, but worldliness and dwelling on the things of the world is a hinderance to us standing apart from this world. My only point was whether we all participate or not in consumerism, to be a good Christian loving exxample. I've seen many a righteous and pous Christian turn into aworldly mongrel on Black Friday, when the season is truly about appreciating our gift from God and in turn sharing our gifts and brotherly love towards our fellow man.

its obvious they are part time Christians.

serving God on 1day of the week and doing their pleasure the other days

and or serving God in the convenience!

by the way why are you replying to someone you reported and want off this forum? is this not hypocritical!!

Upvote 0

tackattack

Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have reported you on several occasions for varying reasons. I don't want you of the forums thugh and have a great amount of respect for some of your posts. I don't hate you or want to fight you or anything, we're all one in the Body of Christ brother. I bear you no ill will whatsoever. I have to do it here because when I've tried to PM you in the past it's turned off. I just think at times you get turned into yourself instead of a focus on God and dealing with things in a Christian manner. We all do that at times, I myself am guilty of it. I'm agreeing with you here in this case on them being parial (if any) Christians. I don't think an industry based solely off of supply and demand of secular good or corperate greed has any relation to Christianity whatsoever, so I probably (as a whole, not individually) wouldn't even give them the partial. The question is why are you so surprised?

Upvote 0