“Remember the poor” Gal 2:10

mikesayen

May 10, 2010
✟8,565.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
“Remember the poor” Gal 2:10

“They desired only that we should remember the poor, the very thing which I also was eager to do” Gal 2:10.

Are you eager to help the poor?

Lets take a look at a few bible verses that tell us to feed the poor.

1 John 3:17 “But whoever has the world's goods; and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?”

How does the love of God abide in you?

“Whoever shuts his ears to the cry of the poor will also cry himself and not be heard” Proverbs 21:13.

Do you have the world's goods?

This may be a hard question to answer. Jesus said he who has two coats should give to him who has none.

There and many people out that who do not have a coat or many other items to cloth and feed themselves.

But who do we help first?

“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith” Galatians 6:10.

Those who are your brother and sisters, who are in need, are the first that you should help in times of trouble.

“He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord and He will pay back what he has given” Proverbs 19:17.

Don't forget helping the stranger or foreigner that came among you the Jews so highly cherished. “Who is my neighbor?” Luke 10:36.

But what if my neighbor does not want to work?

“nor did we eat anyone's bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you...to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us...commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat” 2 Thess 3:8-10.

Not that he (your neighbor) does not work, but only if he is not willing to work when you or another provide him with an opportunity to work with his “own hands”.

For scripture says, “A lazy man buries his hand in the bowl, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again” Proverbs 19:24 and 26:15. His hunger will drive him on, “The person who labors, labors for himself, for his hungry mouth drives him on” Proverbs 16:26.

“The rich and the poor have this in common, the Lord is the maker of them all” Proverbs 22:2.

Don't hate or leave your poor brother in times of need, “all the brothers of the poor hate him, how much more do his friends go far from him, he (the poor man) may pursue them with his words (kindness), yet they abandon him” Proverbs 19:7.

Should the Church take the burden on themselves to feed those in need? The bible says not necessary.

“But if any widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show piety at home and to repay their parents: for this is good and acceptable before God” 1 Timothy 5:4, 16. “If any believing man or woman has widows, let them relieve them, and do not let the church be burdened, that it may relieve those who are really widows.” For the Church cared for the widows who were really widows (in the church) verse 9.

What if you have friends who are in need? Who should they 'go' to?

“Do not forsake your own friend or your father's friend, nor go to your brother's house in the day of your calamity: better is a neighbor nearby then a brother far away “ Proverbs 27:10.

If you have a friend or a family's friend who is in need help them out rather then sending them to there brother/sister who may be far away. You help them out.

“By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren” 1 John 3:16.

If you know a brother in need, you help them out. Don't send them to the Church for “help.”

Church, if you have someone come to your doors for help, if they are a brother, you help them out. Don't send them to the government for “help.”

Me, if I have something to give, give it to him. Especially if I have an extra “coat.”

Use the example the Church laid before us of loving your brother.

“Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul: neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common...nor was there anyone among them who lacked: for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, and laid them at the apostles feet: and they distributed to each as anyone had need” Acts 4:32-35. Great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus and great grace was upon them all.

I am not saying that if you don't sell all you have and give it to the Church to distribute among the poor, that you really don't love Jesus. I am saying if you love Jesus with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and love your 'neighbor' as yourself, you will do it. You will want too.

Jesus told the rich young ruler that there was one thing that that man lacked in his life, “if you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven” Matthew 19:21. Then Jesus said “come, follow me.”

They received such great persecutions among the Church that some of their possessions were taken and great famines of the land occurred Acts 11:28 but the disciples determined “to send relief to the brethren dwelling in Judea.” Each disciple according to his own ability.

For, “It is more blessed to give than to receive” Acts 20:35.

This world is going through tough times. Finances are down, jobs are in a recession. Yes, we need Jesus, but we also need each other to give. Give to those in need and God will “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you” Luke 6:38.

The “tithes and offerings” were put into the “storehouse that there may be food in My house.” God said try Him now in this, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it” Malachi 3:8-10.

Do not give to the Church because the Law told you to do so, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them” Galatians 3:10. For God loves a cheerful giver 2 Corinthians 8:1-9:7. And you will receive treasures in “heaven” Matthew 19:21c.