“Non-Christians Are Like Animals in spirit”(quote)???

“The difference between Christians-NonC is like that between Human and Animal.”

• Agree

• Disagree

• I don't know clearly

• Not Agree or Disagree.further discussion

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday(Sunday) in Beijing China I heard a preaching of a church of Protestantism. The preacher said:”The difference between Christians and Non-Christians is like the difference between Human and Animal.

I was very astonished. And communicated with an Elder of that church about this issue privately. He insisted that the authority of the preaching platform was given by the Holy Spirit and could not be doubted, and also this opinion (“Non-Christians Are Like Animals in spirit”) was from the authority.

I personally think one of the worst tragedy of mankind is that some people think all the others outside their circle as “NOT HUMAN BEING in spirit”.
If you like, anyone can talk about your feelings about this issue.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Non-Christians Are Like Animals in spirit
I wouldn't think a non Christian would be any different from anyone else. They will be judged by God, just like everyone else.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Yusuphhai said:
Yesterday(Sunday) in Beijing China I heard a preaching of a church of Protestantism. The preacher said:”The difference between Christians and Non-Christians is like the difference between Human and Animal.

I was very astonished. And communicated with an Elder of that church about this issue privately. He insisted that the authority of the preaching platform was given by the Holy Spirit and could not be doubted, and also this opinion (“Non-Christians Are Like Animals in spirit”) was from the authority.

I personally think one of the worst tragedy of mankind is that some people think all the others outside their circle as “NOT HUMAN BEING in spirit”.

Well, humans are a subset of animals, and Christians are a subset of humans, so I guess that's sort of right, but not in the way he meant.

Run very fast from any church where the leader says "the Holy Spirit told me so don't question it". That's not a church, it's a cult.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,784.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

De-humanizing certain groups of people is a very dangerous step toward physical violence. The nazis dehumanized the jews before the Holocaust ("Untermenschen"). The Hutus dehumanized the Tutsis before the Rwandese genocide ("cockroaches"). The franquist Phalange labelled the Republicans as "Red vermin". The Spanish republicans of the 1930's.

Is this preacher Chinese? Ask him then how the Japanese saw the Chinese during the socalled "rape of Nanking". As fully human?

Now if this church is doing the same: what will the consequences be?

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah all the members are Chinese, including me (Messianic Chinese Arab).

If someone(whether a “non-Christian” or not) is like a animal does not mean All the non-Christians are like animal in spirit. The category is quite different. There is no any scripture to prove the opinion of the title.

The opinion of the title would put All non-Christians to the opposite side, and brings danger to all kinds of configuration of Christianity. And so on all mankind are hurt.

Upvote 0

LargeTrout

Jan 7, 2008
United Kingdom
✟15,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think what you're Pastor was meaning was than non-Christians are *spiritually dead*, whereas Christians are "alive in Christ". I was taught this while I was a Christian. Your Pastor seems to be saying the same thing but more crudely (and somewhat offensively). I was taught, as a Christian, that animals do not have souls - only humans do. Essentially, in Christian theology, humans have a spirit, soul and a body. Christians are spiritually alive and non-Christians are spiritually dead (because of sin). Both Christians and non-Christians have a soul (and body of course). The difference is purely spiritual.

Of course, what your Pastor was saying went a little beyond this theology. It's hard to really tell whether he was deliberately being offensive or not without knowing what the rest of the sermon was about.

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think what you're Pastor was meaning was than non-Christians are *spiritually dead*, whereas Christians are "alive in Christ". I was taught this while I was a Christian. Your Pastor seems to be saying the same thing but more crudely (and somewhat offensively). I was taught, as a Christian, that animals do not have souls - only humans do. Essentially, in Christian theology, humans have a spirit, soul and a body. Christians are spiritually alive and non-Christians are spiritually dead (because of sin). Both Christians and non-Christians have a soul (and body of course). The difference is purely spiritual.

Of course, what your Pastor was saying went a little beyond this theology. It's hard to really tell whether he was deliberately being offensive or not without knowing what the rest of the sermon was about.

The preacher is not a pastor, he is very young. Maybe he graduated from a theological Seminar not long. He said the sentence just before the Communion(Holy Bread Ritual). I think he wanted to emphasize how high Christians are and how low non-Christians are. I forget the detail that he preached, but he is truly offensive to judge. He must think what he judges is quite right because of his theological education background.

If a non-Christian is like a animal just because of his sins, what is the relationship with human if a "Christian" commits worse sins but he does not think those as sins? Dead in spirit means "like a animal" or a sinner?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Animals are not unregenerates. Meaning that they are not capable of becoming more and more and more depraved like humans. So the statement is an offence to the animal kingdom.

Also, I might add, an animal's soul or spirit is exposed (or developed), and lives on after the death of their physical body.... if they are nurtured in love by a humans.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Dehumanizing others makes them easier to kill. This preacher may not realize it, but he is laying the groundwork for violence.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Animals are not unregenerates. Meaning that they are not capable of becoming more and more and more depraved like humans. So the statement is an offence to the animal kingdom.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't agree with this statement, and I find it highly offensive.

Not because of my disagreement - I don't believe in any "spiritual difference" between Christians, non-Christians and non-humans.

But I know the position of this kind of Christians regarding animals... something "lower", "lesser" than themselves. "Mere" animals. "Just" animals. "Only" animals.

To be placed in such a category is offensive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums