ICE barred from re-detaining Kilmar Abrego Garcia through Christmas holiday
Kilmar Abrego Garcia cannot be re-detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials, a federal judge ruled Tuesday, dealing the Trump administration another blow in its effort to keep him locked up while it attempts to deport him again.
The injunction issued by US District Judge Paula Xinis, of the federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland, follows an emergency order she handed down in December that similarly blocked officials from taking Abrego Garcia into immigration custody.
Tuesday’s decision is the latest judicial rebuke of the government’s maneuvering in Abrego Garcia’s case, which has come to symbolize the administration’s hardline — and, at times, slapdash — approach to immigration enforcement.
Federal officials, Xinis continued, “have done nothing to show that Abrego Garcia’s continued detention in ICE custody is consistent with due process.”
Though Abrego Garcia has for months said he would prefer to be sent to Costa Rica, where officials previously said they would give him some form of legal status, the Trump administration has given no support for that desire, mystifying both his attorneys and Xinis.
[Maybe he should pull a brer rabbit, "Please don't throw me into that Costa Rica!"]
[HIs lawyer] “Instead, they’re flailing about trying to deport him to Africa – why? It’s clear that the only reason is to punish him for having the courage to stand up for his rights.”
[Meanwhile the separate criminal case is focusing on whether the prosecution is unfair targeted.] The judge has already indicated through several rulings that he’s sympathetic to those arguments.