• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

  • CF has always been a site that welcomes people from different backgrounds and beliefs to participate in discussion and even debate. That is the nature of its ministry. In view of recent events emotions are running very high. We need to remind people of some basic principles in debating on this site. We need to be civil when we express differences in opinion. No personal attacks. Avoid you, your statements. Don't characterize an entire political party with comparisons to Fascism or Communism or other extreme movements that committed atrocities. CF is not the place for broad brush or blanket statements about groups and political parties. Put the broad brushes and blankets away when you come to CF, better yet, put them in the incinerator. Debate had no place for them. We need to remember that people that commit acts of violence represent themselves or a small extreme faction.

Trump dispenses with trials, orders military strike on alleged Venezuelan drug-trafficking boat (Now up to 2, 3, 4...)

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
42,777
20,559
Finger Lakes
✟331,730.00
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WaPo: Hegseth order on first Caribbean boat strike, officials say: Kill them all
A missile screamed off the Trinidad coast, striking the vessel and igniting a blaze from bow to stern. For minutes, commanders watched the boat burning on a live drone feed. As the smoke cleared, they got a jolt: Two survivors were clinging to the smoldering wreck.​
The Special Operations commander overseeing the Sept. 2 attack — the opening salvo in the Trump administration’s war on suspected drug traffickers in the Western Hemisphere — ordered a second strike to comply with Hegseth’s instructions, two people familiar with the matter said. The two men were blown apart in the water.​
Hegseth’s order, which has not been previously reported, adds another dimension to the campaign against suspected drug traffickers. Some current and former U.S. officials and law-of-war experts have said that the Pentagon’s lethal campaign — which has killed more than 80 people to date — is unlawful and may expose those most directly involved to future prosecution.​
 
Upvote 0

ranunculus

Well-Known Member
Aug 21, 2008
936
637
✟310,819.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
WaPo: Hegseth order on first Caribbean boat strike, officials say: Kill them all
A missile screamed off the Trinidad coast, striking the vessel and igniting a blaze from bow to stern. For minutes, commanders watched the boat burning on a live drone feed. As the smoke cleared, they got a jolt: Two survivors were clinging to the smoldering wreck.​
The Special Operations commander overseeing the Sept. 2 attack — the opening salvo in the Trump administration’s war on suspected drug traffickers in the Western Hemisphere — ordered a second strike to comply with Hegseth’s instructions, two people familiar with the matter said. The two men were blown apart in the water.​
Hegseth’s order, which has not been previously reported, adds another dimension to the campaign against suspected drug traffickers. Some current and former U.S. officials and law-of-war experts have said that the Pentagon’s lethal campaign — which has killed more than 80 people to date — is unlawful and may expose those most directly involved to future prosecution.​
I had a feeling it was only a matter of time for something like this to come up when last week they renamed the department of war to the department of war crimes
 
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Fact-Based Lifeform
Oct 17, 2011
44,527
47,523
Los Angeles Area
✟1,059,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

FAA warns all pilots of risks of flying over Venezuela over ‘worsening security situation’

The message said the unspecified threats “could pose a potential risk to aircraft at all altitudes” as well planes taking off and landing in the country and even aircraft on the ground.

Aircraft on the ground? What's gonna happen? Something gonna fall out of the sky on top of them or something?

Trump truths the 'closure' of airspace above and surrounding Venezuela.

1764431706921.png
 
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Fact-Based Lifeform
Oct 17, 2011
44,527
47,523
Los Angeles Area
✟1,059,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A top Republican senator, Roger Wicker, has joined his Democratic counterpart in calling for "vigorous oversight to determine the facts" of allegations that the military intentionally killed survivors of a boat strike.

"The Committee has directed inquiries to the Department, and we will be conducting vigorous oversight to determine the facts related to these circumstances," said Sen. Wicker, R-Miss., chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and U.S. Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

In a post on X on Friday, Hegseth said the strikes were intended to be "lethal, kinetic strikes."

"Our current operations in the Caribbean are lawful under both U.S. and international law, with all actions in compliance with the law of armed conflict—and approved by the best military and civilian lawyers, up and down the chain of command," Hegseth said.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
42,699
23,368
US
✟1,787,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A top Republican senator, Roger Wicker, has joined his Democratic counterpart in calling for "vigorous oversight to determine the facts" of allegations that the military intentionally killed survivors of a boat strike.

"The Committee has directed inquiries to the Department, and we will be conducting vigorous oversight to determine the facts related to these circumstances," said Sen. Wicker, R-Miss., chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and U.S. Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

In a post on X on Friday, Hegseth said the strikes were intended to be "lethal, kinetic strikes."

"Our current operations in the Caribbean are lawful under both U.S. and international law, with all actions in compliance with the law of armed conflict—and approved by the best military and civilian lawyers, up and down the chain of command," Hegseth said.
That's kind of a deflection from what Congress should really be doing right now.

Congress should be discussing whether their "War on Terror" resolutions cover Trump's actions in and around Venezuela as Trump claims they do.

By focusing on the more clear-cut issue of that "double tap" (which is something the Pentagon should be focused on), the Congress is, by default, subtly accepting Trump's claim that he's still operating within Congressional guidelines.
 
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

I march with Sherman
Mar 11, 2017
23,274
17,287
55
USA
✟438,221.00
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That's kind of a deflection from what Congress should really be doing right now.

Congress should be discussing whether their "War on Terror" resolutions cover Trump's actions in and around Venezuela as Trump claims they do.

By focusing on the more clear-cut issue of that "double tap" (which is something the Pentagon should be focused on), the Congress is, by default, subtly accepting Trump's claim that he's still operating within Congressional guidelines.
I generally agree and I have the same concern that you express about subtly accepting the notion that any of this operation is within the 2001 AUMF. The overall Venezuela operation is not popular with the people. I suspect Congress can be turned toward the "Venezuela is not covered by AUMF" resolutions that have failed so far, but hearings on the "double tap" are a way to start that will eventually broaden. (I wouldn't be surprised if there are Senators who are using this as an entry path so they can publicly oppose the whole operation.)
 
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
42,699
23,368
US
✟1,787,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I generally agree and I have the same concern that you express about subtly accepting the notion that any of this operation is within the 2001 AUMF. The overall Venezuela operation is not popular with the people. I suspect Congress can be turned toward the "Venezuela is not covered by AUMF" resolutions that have failed so far, but hearings on the "double tap" are a way to start that will eventually broaden. (I wouldn't be surprised if there are Senators who are using this as an entry path so they can publicly oppose the whole operation.)
As I said, the Pentagon itself should have both feet on the "double tap" accusation because that would be a clear-cut violation of the Law of Armed Conflict at the basic troop level. The Congress should not be involved at the level of figuring out who pulled the trigger...their involvement would come from how the Pentagon resolves that violation of the LOAC (presuming it actually happened). We don't need Congress investigating a problem the Pentagon is already charged by law to investigate.

But to the extent it keeps Congress from discussing the extent of the resolutions they've passed, it delays the resolution of the problem only they can resolve.
 
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
42,777
20,559
Finger Lakes
✟331,730.00
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I said, the Pentagon itself should have both feet on the "double tap" accusation because that would be a clear-cut violation of the Law of Armed Conflict at the basic troop level. The Congress should not be involved at the level of figuring out who pulled the trigger...their involvement would come from how the Pentagon resolves that violation of the LOAC (presuming it actually happened). We don't need Congress investigating a problem the Pentagon is already charged by law to investigate.

But to the extent it keeps Congress from discussing the extent of the resolutions they've passed, it delays the resolution of the problem only they can resolve.
What would/could the Pentagon do if the order came from the Sec. of Defense and the CIC?
 
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
42,699
23,368
US
✟1,787,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would/could the Pentagon do if the order came from the Sec. of Defense and the CIC?
Identify that as a fact.

But as I said before, I severely doubt the Pentagon passed orders worded as such.

Unless--and I wouldn't put this past anyone in uniform if they're angry or frightened enough--they were applying "malicious compliance"--essentially "fragging" the civilian leadership: "Let's write this down exactly the way he said it."
 
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

I march with Sherman
Mar 11, 2017
23,274
17,287
55
USA
✟438,221.00
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As I said, the Pentagon itself should have both feet on the "double tap" accusation because that would be a clear-cut violation of the Law of Armed Conflict at the basic troop level. The Congress should not be involved at the level of figuring out who pulled the trigger...their involvement would come from how the Pentagon resolves that violation of the LOAC (presuming it actually happened). We don't need Congress investigating a problem the Pentagon is already charged by law to investigate.

But to the extent it keeps Congress from discussing the extent of the resolutions they've passed, it delays the resolution of the problem only they can resolve.
Are there any investigators left (or their supervisors) who would take such an action?
 
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
18,123
5,635
Native Land
✟404,756.00
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just like the Iraqi oil fields that paid for the war!
I was not for that war either. It was started based on a lie. Just like Trump starting trouble with Venezuela. .America's and Venezuela will be killed, because Trump wants to play with toys.
 
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

I march with Sherman
Mar 11, 2017
23,274
17,287
55
USA
✟438,221.00
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The military is especially designed to "continue the march" if the leader falls.
I wasn't worried about that, or as your prior post indicated IDing the "trigger puller". That naval aviator may be facing charges for violating the laws of armed combat and should be investigated as to that. I'm more concerned about the chain of command (who is giving the order) both live during the action and in standing orders for the mission. The aircraft was almost certainly in radio contact with the carrier. Who gave these orders?

The Pentagon needs to conduct the operational investigations, but Congress needs to have leadership testifying to the results soon.
 
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
42,699
23,368
US
✟1,787,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't worried about that, or as your prior post indicated IDing the "trigger puller". That naval aviator may be facing charges for violating the laws of armed combat and should be investigated as to that. I'm more concerned about the chain of command (who is giving the order) both live during the action and in standing orders for the mission. The aircraft was almost certainly in radio contact with the carrier. Who gave these orders?
That might not have been a normal chain of command. The carrier group may have delivered an "operational group" to the area, and that operational group's chain of command might have skipped the naval chain entirely.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Nithavela

you're in charge you can do it just get louis
Apr 14, 2007
31,074
22,796
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟606,723.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Hegseth declines to comment on report that boat survivors were killed as a result of his orders to military

According to The Washington Post, the Sept. 2 boat strike initially left two survivors clinging to the boat. The Post says Adm. Mitch Bradley, head of Special Operations Command, then ordered a second strike in order to comply with Hegseth's orders and to ensure the survivors couldn't call on other traffickers to retrieve them and their cargo.

If true, it is unclear why Bradley wouldn't have ordered troops to collect the survivors and their cargo from the water, as the military did in a subsequent strike when two survivors were taken aboard a Navy ship via helicopter.

"The Department has no response to this article and declines to comment further," a Pentagon spokesperson said Friday.
--
Some experts say the alleged “double-tap” strike may violate the law of armed conflict, which forbids targeting an enemy combatant who’s out of the fight due to injury or surrender.

“They’re breaking the law either way,” Sarah Harrison, a senior analyst at the Crisis Group think tank who served as associate general counsel at the Pentagon, told CNN. “They’re killing civilians in the first place, and then if you assume they’re combatants, it’s also unlawful — under the law of armed conflict, if somebody is ‘hors de combat’ and no longer able to fight, then they have to be treated humanely.”

Hegseth's got a date in the Hague.
The Hague is for people who lose wars and get gethroned. People who commit war crimes and stay in power will never be persecuted.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0