West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Willtor said:
In my understanding, the Tree of Life is the Word of God. From what else would people eat and live forever? In Heaven there is no death because all people who are in Heaven draw their life from the Word.
In my thinking I had the Tree of Life as representing Christ, he who sustains us physically and spiritually. When Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden they no longer had access to the tree of life (no longer enjoyed full communion with Christ) and were therefore condemned to die. This communion will be restored in glory.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
theFijian said:
In my thinking I had the Tree of Life as representing Christ, he who sustains us physically and spiritually. When Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden they no longer had access to the tree of life (no longer enjoyed full communion with Christ) and were therefore condemned to die. This communion will be restored in glory.

Jesus Christ is the Word of God. You and I were thinking the same thing. But I say "the Word of God" because he would not be known as Jesus Christ for some time to come (in the Genesis account).

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thought perhaps I could figure out whether the word used here meant spiritual death or physical in the original language. Of course, I don't deeply study scripture much (enough, hah), but I found some resources online to do it, only to discover that the question of the original language's meaning of death in the NT has been studied/questioned/whatever many times before my ignorant ponderings :), and there was no different way to say spiritual or physical death; you have to go by, yup, you guessed it... context! :)

It really depends on whether you consider the concepts of "physical death" or "spiritual death" to be viable ones at all. There has been discussion here about this a long time ago, but as time passes it becomes increasingly hard to find the threads in which this was discussed. I'll try to find the context for this: http://www.christianforums.com/t1816254-physical-spiritual-death.html later.

Repost from #13 of that thread:

As far as I know (though I could be wrong) the Bible doesn't actually state the term "spiritual death". The person was holistic. When someone was / is separated from God the whole person is affected, and the whole person has the wrong eternity to face if there is no forgiveness.

My issue with the term "spiritual death" is more semantic than anything else. It's a sticking point for me the way calling the Bible "the word of God" is for people like Didas and gluadys. However oftentimes the mindset behind the term "spiritual death" is harmful and often causes people to take the wrong approach. When I asked my teacher what the practical implications are (up to that point he had been talking a lot about translation and resurrection and resuscitation and eternity and all that stuff I'm simply dying ;) to experience firsthand) he said very simply that the soul / body dualism fuels the evangelism / social justice dualism. When Christians think that the "soul / spirit" is more important than and somehow separable from the "body" they tend to emphasize evangelism, often at the expense of basic needs, and in the end the Christian comes across as having "an agenda" - because there are needs not being met.

God is not just "spiritual life", He is life, fullstop. Whether or not life is "spiritual" or "physical" depends on how it manifests itself in our experience - physical life naturally and scientifically, spiritual life supernaturally and theologically.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
horuhe00 said:
Here's a thought... all female mammals (and I'd guess most females, period) feel pain when birthing. Did they too eat from the tree?
No --- they are the result of someone who did, though.

Upvote 0

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
No --- they are the result of someone who did, though.

There's no mention of the first animals eating the fruit. Not even the snake ate it. And God didn't say that from then on all animals would feel pain at birth. He specifically said "woman".

Upvote 0

Jedi

Knight
Sep 19, 2002
United States
Visit site
✟5,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Old earth here. I just don't see much reason to see the earth as young, especially in light of the evidence shouting at how old the earth is. Even scripture seems to favore a non-literal 6-day creation. It's just not plausible to think that God created Adam, Adam had time to start feeling lonely, Adam then goes through all the animals in God's creation, naming them along the way, only to find no suitable helper, Adam is then put in a deep sleep, wakes up, and has Eve brought to him within a 24-hour time frame. :p

Upvote 0

LoG

Veteran
Site Supporter
May 14, 2005
✟70,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
gluadys said:
The biggest difference is the use of scientific method. The Greeks, for the most part, discussed science philosophically. (In fact science was referred to as "natural philosophy".) So the ancient concepts bear little resemblance to the modern scientific theories. Greek concepts of evolution are no more like the Theory of Evolution than air is to diamonds.

"Many Greek scientists thought about natural selection and the origin of life. Anaximander believed that marine life was the first life on Earth and that changes happened to animals when they moved to dry land. Empedocles had the idea of chance combinations of organs arising and dying out because of their lack of adaptation. Aristotle, a Greek philosopher who contributed many works in the sciences, believed that there is purpose in the workings of nature, and mistakes are also made. He thought that nature working so perfectly is a necessity."
http://www.crystalinks.com/greekscience.html

"The development of the scientific method is inseparable from the history of science itself. Ancient Egyptian documents, such as early papyri, describe methods of medical diagnosis. In ancient Greek culture, the first elements of the inductive scientific method clearly become well established. Significant progress in methodology was made in early Muslim philosophy, in particular using experiments to distinguish between competing scientific theories, citation, peer review and open inquiry leading to the development of consensus, set within a generallly empirical orientation."

Sounds pretty similar to me.

But was his statement through Moses scientific or theological?

It was scientific AND theological.

Now that's a non-sequitor. There is nothing misleading about stating that since the beginning of human existence humans have been male and female. That is what I understand Jesus to mean and what I believe his audience understood him to mean.

He didn't state "since the beginning of human existence" but "since the beginning of creation." You appear to be reading into the verse what you want it to say, not what it actually does say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoG

Veteran
Site Supporter
May 14, 2005
✟70,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mallon said:
Perhaps you can point me in the direction of the leading Gap science textbook that properly explains how to interpret those fossils that were deposited before and after the recreated earth? Surely, if Gap "theory" is good science (and good apologetics, for that matter), then it will produce more compatible, internally-consistent answers than the theory of evolution ever will.

Sorry, forgot to respond to your request. Here is some material to read:

http://www.custance.org/library_menu.html
http://www.christiangeology.com/

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
Assyrian said:
How did death become God's enemy?
By showing up. Death is the grandson of lust - (James 1:15).
So you interpret death here as a spiritual death that only infects those who can make moral or immoral decisions? Very Romans 5:12 that, death spread to all men because all sinned. It certainly doesn't refer to animal death before or after the fall though.

horuhe00 said:
There's no mention of the first animals eating the fruit. Not even the snake ate it. And God didn't say that from then on all animals would feel pain at birth. He specifically said "woman".
I haven't seen anyone pick up on Gen 3:20 The man called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living. According to Genesis Eve wasn't just mother of all the humans, she was mother of every thing alive. Which of course explains why female mammals have pains in birth too. ;)

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Many Greek scientists thought about natural selection and the origin of life. Anaximander believed that marine life was the first life on Earth and that changes happened to animals when they moved to dry land. Empedocles had the idea of chance combinations of organs arising and dying out because of their lack of adaptation. Aristotle, a Greek philosopher who contributed many works in the sciences, believed that there is purpose in the workings of nature, and mistakes are also made. He thought that nature working so perfectly is a necessity."

Did any of them propose descent with modification?

He didn't state "since the beginning of human existence" but "since the beginning of creation." You appear to be reading into the verse what you want it to say, not what it actually does say.

I'll tell you what the relevant verses do say: that when Moses made provisions for divorce, Moses was accommodating the hardened hearts of the Jews, where the Jews would easily enough have understood that divorce was to be in no way tolerated, which was what God would have intended as a moral guideline for them.

So why should we be surprised that Moses in the creation stories accommodated the scientific ignorance of the Jews, what more when the Jews would never have understood our modern scientific understanding of how the world was created?

When we have it from no less an authority than Jesus that Moses had to bend certain things morally to accommodate the Jews, should we consider it heretical to imagine that Moses would have had to bend things scientifically, especially when the express purpose of the Torah is moral and not scientific?

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Lion of God said:
http://www.crystalinks.com/greekscience.html

"The development of the scientific method is inseparable from the history of science itself. Ancient Egyptian documents, such as early papyri, describe methods of medical diagnosis. In ancient Greek culture, the first elements of the inductive scientific method clearly become well established. Significant progress in methodology was made in early Muslim philosophy, in particular using experiments to distinguish between competing scientific theories, citation, peer review and open inquiry leading to the development of consensus, set within a generallly empirical orientation."

Sounds pretty similar to me.

The first elements of inductive reasoning--sure. A full-fledged scientific method, no. Anaximander believes in changes, but offers nothing but belief. No evidence. While his belief accords superficially with the modern theory, it is not a theory, it is philosophy.

It was scientific AND theological.

If it was scientific, it would accord with the scientific evidence. It doesn't.

Context, context, context. What words mean depends on the context, and the context is entirely human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assyrian said:
So you interpret death here as a spiritual death that only infects those who can make moral or immoral decisions?
Every single person born or stillborn has the Sin Nature.

Assyrian said:
Very Romans 5:12 that, death spread to all men because all sinned. It certainly doesn't refer to animal death before or after the fall though.
NOW you know why animals are so mean. The next time a dog bites you on the rear end --- tell him you're sorry!

Assyrian said:
I haven't seen anyone pick up on Gen 3:20 The man called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living. According to Genesis Eve wasn't just mother of all the humans, she was mother of every thing alive. Which of course explains why female mammals have pains in birth too. ;)
A giraffe begets a giraffe --- a cow begets a cow --- a human begets a human.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
shernren said:
When we have it from no less an authority than Jesus that Moses had to bend certain things morally to accommodate the Jews, should we consider it heretical to imagine that Moses would have had to bend things scientifically, especially when the express purpose of the Torah is moral and not scientific?
Moses bent certain things? Plural?

One of the basic laws of Hermeneutics is not to build a doctrine on what isn't written in the Bible. If the Bible is silent on a subject, either let science fill in the gap, or let it remain silent.

As long as it doesn't contradict Scripture, it should be okay.

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
AV1611VET said:

Actually, man (in the same way that cars are invented by man). Science is just a tool created by man to study God's Creation. Science tries to find the best possible explanations for natural causes. However, it isn't always correct and is always being updated. God created the laws that govern our Universe, and science tries to figure out what they are.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.