Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
theFijian said:
Who invented Calculus?
God, Satan, or Man?

(Whoever it was has a lot to answer for)
As far as I know, it was Isaac Newton --- the nr. 2 man I want to meet when I go to Heaven.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
random_guy said:
Actually, man (in the same way that cars are invented by man). Science is just a tool created by man to study God's Creation. Science tries to find the best possible explanations for natural causes. However, it isn't always correct and is always being updated. God created the laws that govern our Universe, and science tries to figure out what they are.
Well that's one way to look at it. I've always thought of God as authoring science. In 1 Timothy 6, Paul tells Timothy to watch out for those who teach science contrary to what the Scriptures say (vs 20), saying that it caused them to err (vs 21).

I couldn't help notice you said science is just a tool created by man to study God's Creation; then in your next sentence said science tries to find the best possible explanations for natural causes.

Are you suggesting they are one and the same?

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
AV1611VET said:
Well that's one way to look at it. I've always thought of God as authoring science. In 1 Timothy 6, Paul tells Timothy to watch out for those who teach science contrary to what the Scriptures say (vs 20), saying that it caused them to err (vs 21).

I couldn't help notice you said science is just a tool created by man to study God's Creation; then in your next sentence said science tries to find the best possible explanations for natural causes.

Are you suggesting they are one and the same?

Not quite. As a Christian, I believe this Universe is God's Creation. If I were an atheist or agnostic, the sentence would change to, "a tool created by man to study the Universe". I hope that clarifies. As for God authoring science, I don't see it that way. Science is constantly changing due to new information. It is a man made concept, just like math.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
Can you be more specific as to how God created science? Did God create theology also? Why did God create science and not Calculus?

Moses bent certain things? Plural?
I don't think Moses 'bent' things concerning divorce laws. What's clear I think is that God made allowances, or tolerated certain things because of the 'hardness of their hearts'. Polygamy was another thing that wasn't prohibitted in the civil laws I believe.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
Every single person born or stillborn has the Sin Nature.
So how does lust entice, conceive and give birth to sin, and sin bring forth death, in a stillborn?

Assyrian said:
Very Romans 5:12 that, death spread to all men because all sinned. It certainly doesn't refer to animal death before or after the fall though.
NOW you know why animals are so mean. The next time a dog bites you on the rear end --- tell him you're sorry!
Why? Are you saying dogs bite people because sin just spread to mankind?

A giraffe begets a giraffe --- a cow begets a cow --- a human begets a human.
That's not what it says in Gen 3:20, if you believe your bible :D

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
theFijian said:
Can you be more specific as to how God created science?
Not really. I can't even tell you how God created the Earth, other than He says He "spoke", and it happened. I think some of the "how" questions belong in the Deuteronomy 29:29 category. I'd personally like to know how He stopped the Sun and Moon in the sky during the Amorite invasion of Gibeon (Joshua 10:13), as it seems to me that if the Earth would have suddenly stopped rotating at that point, there would have been an awful lot of break dancing going on.

I think a lot of our first "days" in Heaven are going to be spent asking God how He did a lot of things.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
AV1611VET said:
I think a lot of our first "days" in Heaven are going to be spent asking God how He did a lot of things.

One would think that he probably has a FAQ on his blog. I imagine a large hallway lined with computers and angels gently saying, 'Please take a seat on an open terminal. All of your questions will be aswered. Take all the time you want.'

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assyrian said:
So how does lust entice, conceive and give birth to sin, and sin bring forth death, in a stillborn?
It doesn't --- you're confusing Sin with Sin Nature.

As I said before:
  • We're not sinners because we sin - we sin because we're sinners.
Why? Are you saying dogs bite people because sin just spread to mankind?
No --- that was a display of my humor.

That's not what it says in Gen 3:20, if you believe your bible :D
I'll take THAT as an example of your humor.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
chaoschristian said:
One would think that he probably has a FAQ on his blog. I imagine a large hallway lined with computers and angels gently saying, 'Please take a seat on an open terminal. All of your questions will be aswered. Take all the time you want.'
I honestly think (but can't prove it) that He's going to take a King James Bible and show us clearly some things we overlooked - especially in the area of Science.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
AV1611VET said:
I honestly think (but can't prove it) that He's going to take a King James Bible and show us clearly some things we overlooked - especially in the area of Science.

Good, then maybe I'll finally be able to understand bee orchids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
random_guy said:
Actually, man (in the same way that cars are invented by man). Science is just a tool created by man to study God's Creation. Science tries to find the best possible explanations for natural causes. However, it isn't always correct and is always being updated. God created the laws that govern our Universe, and science tries to figure out what they are.

God created all things. Science is the way we have to evidence God's creation. Science will never confirm or deny God's existance because there's no scientific evidence. However, there is pleanty of scientific evidence of God's work. There can never be a conflict between God and Science because science studies what God has done. What there can be is either wrong scientific conclusions, or wrong Bible interpretation.

Upvote 0

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:

Why would God use a 1500's Olde English version written in the language used in the 1500's? In any case, He'd use a Bible written in today's language or a Bible written in the 1st century. :p

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
It doesn't --- you're confusing Sin with Sin Nature.

As I said before:
  • We're not sinners because we sin - we sin because we're sinners.
So how does that fit with your James 1:15 quote? Even if a stillborn child had a sin nature before it died in the womb, how did it have the opportunity to lust? How did lust entice the unborn child and give birth to sin? How did the child die in the womb before sin could bring forth death?

But your approach is interesting. You are the first YEC I have come across who doesn't say death was something God made when he cursed the natural world at the fall.

No --- that was a display of my humor.
:cool:

I'll take THAT as an example of your humor.
Indeed. Though it is also an illustration of the figurative character of Eve, as well as the reticence of YECs to believe what the bible literally says. ;)

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
chaoschristian said:
Good, then maybe I'll finally be able to understand bee orchids.
I can't wait for the zoology class on unicorns.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assyrian said:
[/list]So how does that fit with your James 1:15 quote? Even if a stillborn child had a sin nature before it died in the womb, how did it have the opportunity to lust? How did lust entice the unborn child and give birth to sin? How did the child die in the womb before sin could bring forth death?
Assyrian, because of Adam, death, in all its forms and stages, entered the universe. One can die in any stage of life: prebirth, at birth, child, teen, adult. Sin has a tendency to accelerate the date of death that God has appointed for every man - (Hebrews 9:27); and John, in 1 John 5:16 takes it a step further by pointing out that one can reach what's called the point of no return.

James is saying: "Stay away from sin --- it'll kill ya."

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
Ah yes, the dreaded Rhinoceros.
Rhinoceros
rhinoceros.jpg

Unicorn
DomenichinounicornPalFarnese.jpg

Nah I don't buy it. Rhino and unicorn are two different beasts.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said:
Assyrian, because of Adam, death, in all its forms and stages, entered the universe. One can die in any stage of life: prebirth, at birth, child, teen, adult. Sin has a tendency to accelerate the date of death that God has appointed for every man - (Hebrews 9:27); and John, in 1 John 5:16 takes it a step further by pointing out that one can reach what's called the point of no return.

James is saying: "Stay away from sin --- it'll kill ya."
OK so your James quote does not give us the origin of death, it only talks about those mature enough and morally aware enough to be enticed by their desires into sin. You have yet to show from scripture how death came to affect unborn children or animals, who never sinned.

Nor have you said whether death was something God created or not. Even if Adam sinned, if God had created him immortal, how would sin change his being immortal?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.