Wrong for Christians to believe something different?

F

fuji

How do you guys feel about Christians that believe stuff say only 10% of other Christians believe in?

Say for example some believe that baptism only happens when the person has been completely pushed fully underwater.

Is there anything in your lives that you believe to be true that maybe only a small majority of Christians believe in? And if so, is it possible those 10% Christians might be interpreting the word of God correctly?

Apr 28, 2011
✟15,603.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe that dreams are a way for God to communicate with us. My belief is biblical...

"For God speaks in one way, and in two, though man does not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls on men, while they slumber on their beds, then he opens the ears of men and terrifies them with warnings, that he may turn man aside from his deed and conceal pride from a man; he keeps back his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword." - Job 33:14 - 18

Upvote 0

itdepends

A noob I guess
Mar 1, 2013
Uhh, Meh
✟8,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe you need a Bible to know God, etc. I don't believe we should test "God" with our understanding of the Bible to find out, "Is that really you, God ?" I might argue one shouldn't even pick it up until you have found the Life directly from God for your heart and soul and spirit first.

I've found that this seems to be the minority to think like this lol … 10% (or less, or more) ? Idk lol …. although people who claim to "live by the Bible" don't do it anyway, so the reality is it's actually the majority trying to convince themselves otherwise. Regardless, I find it difficult, I think, to talk with other believers for me, because I have to re-think half of what they are saying. Like, "Does God care if I do this and that ? Does God want me to do this and that ? Why doesn't God do this and that ?" I have to rethink it, because they're asking a second hand party what God wants or thinks, instead of seeking Him directly for the answer. I've also noticed it seems more important to defend a denomination, or the Bible, or a branch of that person's religion … than human beings. I don't think that specifically is always linked directly to "Bible first" thinking, but it seems to go hand in hand a lot I think, at least what I've noticed.

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe you need a Bible to know God, etc. I don't believe we should test "God" with our understanding of the Bible to find out, "Is that really you, God ?" I might argue one shouldn't even pick it up until you have found the Life directly from God for your heart and soul and spirit first.

Oh my goodness, no, no, a million times no!!!!!

The Bible isn't some old dusty book- it's God's living word- and the more one grows as a Christian- the more you understand the utter VITAL importance of keeping grounded in that word. DO 'test' your understanding of God with the Bible. Our own thoughts, desires, and understandings can be flawed and the Bible is our first port of call to make sure that what's in our head squares up with God's timeless principals. The first thing I would do with any new Christian is make sure they have a BIble. It's THE essential piece of equipment.

Upvote 0

itdepends

A noob I guess
Mar 1, 2013
Uhh, Meh
✟8,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh my goodness, no, no, a million times no!!!!!

The Bible isn't some old dusty book- it's God's living word- and the more one grows as a Christian- the more you understand the utter VITAL importance of keeping grounded in that word. DO 'test' your understanding of God with the Bible. Our own thoughts, desires, and understandings can be flawed and the Bible is our first port of call to make sure that what's in our head squares up with God's timeless principals. The first thing I would do with any new Christian is make sure they have a BIble. It's THE essential piece of equipment.
Your post is a good example of what I think the majority believe, at least in my experience. Hence, why I used my own as an example of the minority lol :)

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There is a central core of doctrines centred around Jesus and what He accomplished, His life, death, resurrection a future return that dealt with human sinfulness and death itself that distinguish Christian belief from all other ones. Around those there can be a variety of doctrines held yet within each 'group' there are people who really know Jesus. Jesus said you will know the Truth,(which is knowing Him who is Truth) and the Truth (Me) will set you free. Being a Christian is a life of relationship, not and never mere assent to doctrines, which is merely religion.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
F

fuji

I've found that this seems to be the minority to think like this lol … 10% (or less, or more) ? Idk lol …. although people who claim to "live by the Bible" don't do it anyway, so the reality is it's actually the majority trying to convince themselves otherwise. Regardless, I find it difficult, I think, to talk with other believers for me, because I have to re-think half of what they are saying. Like, "Does God care if I do this and that ? Does God want me to do this and that ? Why doesn't God do this and that ?" I have to rethink it, because they're asking a second hand party what God wants or thinks, instead of seeking Him directly for the answer. I've also noticed it seems more important to defend a denomination, or the Bible, or a branch of that person's religion … than human beings. I don't think that specifically is always linked directly to "Bible first" thinking, but it seems to go hand in hand a lot I think, at least what I've noticed.

Thank you for sharing. I to have read the bible and find its teachings drastically different from our western lifestyles today as Christians. Our views on marriage, war, body as a temple, wealth, etc, I read are drastically different from Jesus' teachings.

One example I dont think has been brought up is the only time we see Jesus get really angry.

Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves.“It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’ Matt. 21:12,13

So today our temple(church) is great! But I dont get people selling "Christian cds" or "Christian books", where almost all the profit goes back to the person or group or organization selling it. I understand people need money to promote their activities, but if this is "all for God", shouldn't it all go back to God's temple after costs? Or maybe even with costs if the person labels oneself as a "servant".

I know not everyone agrees, but I hold onto this view because that is the first thing I thought of when I read this passage.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear fuji. Jesus Himself tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is
Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus states this great truth:
" on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our Love, freely given and NO conditions tagged on. Straightforward and easy to remember. What is Jesus telling us? Everything we say or do, must be from Love and Compassion for our neighbour. ( all we know and all we meet, friend and not friend. God sees our sincere efforts, and God will Bless us. God will also know, that we love God, because we follow God`s Commandments to Love and Care. That may not be easy for us, but God wants it from us. God is Love and God wants loving children/sons and daughters. Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love also. Jesus told us: " ask and ye shall receive," then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. We shall ask God and thank God, and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour.
We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on Loving and Caring.
Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us: JESUS IS THE WAY.Jesus told us in Matthew 22: 35-40: and Jesus died that we might live.
I say this with love, fuji. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you don't know what God says, how are you going to know God?

The bible claims the authority of God. The bible is simply a collection of God's thoughts / words to man written down in a book. It was put into a book so it could be easier to keep / pass on to others. In the time of Adam and those people, it was probably simply passed on through words and memory. Now we have it in writing. So you'd rather choose not to just listen to God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do you guys feel about Christians that believe stuff say only 10% of other Christians believe in?

Say for example some believe that baptism only happens when the person has been completely pushed fully underwater.

Is there anything in your lives that you believe to be true that maybe only a small majority of Christians believe in? And if so, is it possible those 10% Christians might be interpreting the word of God correctly?

I can't think of anything that fits that description. As for who's right, anyone could be, but if only 10% of the Christian people do, it's extremely unlikely that it's correct. That's where the debate usually centers--them on a mission to tell off the 90% for not agreeing with their unusual interpretations or theories.

However, I also want to second Johnnz in pointing out that it matters whether the idea in question is essential to the faith or not. If it's something very marginal, like the preferred way to administer Holy Communion, then that's not critical one way or the other.

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thing is, what do you mean by getting it from God directly?

I could easily have a strong 'feeling', for example, that God is telling me something- but unless I know God's truths, unless I have spent time getting to know how God 'works', if you like- then how am I to know if that really is God, or my imagination, or a litle self- delusion, or the enemy, or.... any number of things? How do I know what the standard is to test that against?

A brand new, or not very mature Christian, is pretty vulnerable. What about someone who suffers from a mental condition which can bring on anxieties and thoughts that are not consistent with God's nature?
How do I even KNOW what God's nature is?

The Bible wasn't man's idea to jot down a few nice litle homilies- it's God's idea- His chosen way of giving His word to the world. The minute we start thinking we don't need what He has clearly given us, we're on shaky ground.

Upvote 0

itdepends

A noob I guess
Mar 1, 2013
Uhh, Meh
✟8,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thing is, what do you mean by getting it from God directly?
Well it will seem like I'm putting it simply or maybe just repeating you lol ... but I meant you could get it directly from God as in, you could get it directly from God lol. Instead of seeking through second hand sources.

I could easily have a strong 'feeling', for example, that God is telling me something- but unless I know God's truths, unless I have spent time getting to know how God 'works', if you like- then how am I to know if that really is God, or my imagination, or a litle self- delusion, or the enemy, or.... any number of things? How do I know what the standard is to test that against?

A brand new, or not very mature Christian, is pretty vulnerable. What about someone who suffers from a mental condition which can bring on anxieties and thoughts that are not consistent with God's nature?
How do I even KNOW what God's nature is?

The Bible wasn't man's idea to jot down a few nice litle homilies- it's God's idea- His chosen way of giving His word to the world. The minute we start thinking we don't need what He has clearly given us, we're on shaky ground.
Responding to the rest of your post, I have noticed, at least for me lol, that it seems walking in faith and trusting God has an element of the unknown at times :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

itdepends

A noob I guess
Mar 1, 2013
Uhh, Meh
✟8,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know you meant not via the other sources. When you say 'directly from God' are you talking about feelings, 'hearing' physically or thoughts in your mind, visions? I'm intrigued.
Sorry I was in a rush to go somewhere before, so I had a really quick response.

I'm not talking about feelings, hearing, thoughts, visions, etc ... I'm talking about God lol. God the entity. Not the things God uses or influences (including us and others), or the result of the presence of God, spirits, etc ... God directly. If I was going to have coffee with you, but instead I sent my representative in my place, or you ran into someone who had met me instead of me directly, or you show up and I left a note instead of being there, or I wasn't there at all and you just sat and imagined it, or you sat there and talked to me via the phone instead ... none of those are the same as sitting there with me, and having coffee with me lol.

The very first time I remember God answering a prayer of mine, for example, it was immediate, and I was translated lol. Physically, in reality. It was surreal, and almost unbelievable to me. No Biblical knowledge, no testing something, no religious upbringing, no one telling me what to believe. Now, I didn't meet God when I experienced that ... but given the context, and what happened surrounding it, I had faith it was God that translated me. So right there, I believed it was God, and that God could translate people ... no need to read about it first lol. I cannot count how many times something like that has happened ... with no knowledge, or study, or "testing", etc .... what I saw, experienced directly, etc, outside of myself. Even when I did begin to read the Bible years later, I took from it believing certain things WERENT true actually, and had those beliefs backed by others even (pastors, etc), and God showed me otherwise directly ... in the face of my own Biblical understanding and that of others who claimed to know what they knew. So even when I did start to research the scriptures and turn to other "mature" people and such, they were wrong as far as I can tell, and so was I when I gave that "method" a try lol.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me what God couldn't do, or wouldn't do, or how things needed to be done or not done ... and I experienced the opposite, I would have a lot of dollars lol :)

Now, there was a time, when I wasn't content even with miracles, and I wanted to know God directly, face to face in the flesh, not in "vision", etc ... I wanted to meet God and cut through ALL the middle men. I of course have a story for the first time I set out to "see God", an anecdote ... which will be a second hand account ;-) haha .... but I'll say that I was satisfied with meeting who I met. I'm not trying to be cryptic, I'm just not getting specific since I'm not telling the story here, for brevity, and to do it justice so you could judge for yourself whom I met, it would take a lot of typing haha.

There have been a few things that I desperately wanted to know, first hand, what was true: like whether I was going to have eternal life with God, whether certain other people I knew were, etc and so forth. And I wasn't content with other people's answers, arguments, etc. I didn't want to guess. Sometimes I have been content with that kind of thing, or vision, dreams, signs, miracles, "digging for answers", etc, sometimes not. So that's me personally.

So when someone is seeking God, for all I know they will meet God directly, or experience things similar to what I did, or speak with Him directly ... like I said, most of the time I had no one telling me this or that, no knowledge, etc. God chose, and I chose. Does that make sense ?

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could get your information from God directly, instead of trusting other sources, second hand information, hearsay, etc.

And how are you going to know its from God unless you know what God says, who He is, and how He works to begin with? You're making an assumption, with a human mind, with a fallen nature, that you are hearing God. That's -why- we are suppose to test what we see, hear, think etc.

Yes there is a way to hear God speak directly.....the bible. That's generally the way He chooses to speak to us the majority of the time.

I'm not saying it's always that, but if you're throwing away the bible and listening for God to directly speak to you all the time. Then you're playing with fire my friend.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think the vast majority of people who refer to themselves as Christians are only nominally so. Only about 10-20% actually take their faith seriously enough to let it order their life goals and fundamental values. Very few "Christians" know anything about dying to self, or the identification truths, or justification, or sanctification, or basic CHristian apologetics. Even fewer could quote more than a dozen or so verses from memory (My grandfather, by comparison, could quote almost the entire Bible from memory! He had read it from cover to cover over 800 times.) So, does the majority in this case define what is truly Christian? I think not. The majority of people identifying themselves as Christians these days are anything but!

This isn't a matter determined by popular opinion or practice but by what is established in Scripture. And Scripture teaches a full-immersion baptism.

Is there anything in your lives that you believe to be true that maybe only a small majority of Christians believe in?
Sadly, this is the case for most of what I believe. But even though I stand among a minority in this regard, I am well within the boundaries of Scripture.

And if so, is it possible those 10% Christians might be interpreting the word of God correctly?
Especially these days as post-modernism, liberalism, and secularism erode and corrupt Christian understanding and faith, fewer and fewer Christians are actually living in accord with God's Word. The minority of believers today are actually getting it right. But this is quite in agreement with what Scripture predicts.

Matthew 24:24
24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the vast majority of people who refer to themselves as Christians are only nominally so. Only about 10-20% actually take their faith seriously enough to let it order their life goals and fundamental values. Very few "Christians" know anything about dying to self, or the identification truths, or justification, or sanctification, or basic CHristian apologetics. Even fewer could quote more than a dozen or so verses from memory (My grandfather, by comparison, could quote almost the entire Bible from memory! He had read it from cover to cover over 800 times.) So, does the majority in this case define what is truly Christian? I think not. The majority of people identifying themselves as Christians these days are anything but!

This isn't a matter determined by popular opinion or practice but by what is established in Scripture. And Scripture teaches a full-immersion baptism.

In other words, you are speaking as one of the 10% ;)

Naturally, you're not going to answer that there's any chance you are interpreting anything wrong.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In other words, you are speaking as one of the 10% ;)

Naturally, you're not going to answer that there's any chance you are interpreting anything wrong.

I take significant pains to ensure that my beliefs and conduct as a follower of Christ are in accord with Scripture. Does this mean that I get everything right? No. But this doesn't mean I get everything wrong, either. Even after all these years walking with God there are corrections God is making to my understanding of Him and His truth. At this point, however, I am very sure, very confident, of most of what I believe. And this is as it should be. If I'm still immature and/or vacillating in my knowledge and understanding of God's truth twenty years after my conversion something is terribly wrong! But as I interact with other believers, this is what I find is common among the majority of them. I have been a child of God for almost forty years. I am not a babe in Christ. Is it arrogant to say so? No, it is simply the truth. I wish more people claiming to be long-time Christians could say the same.

Selah.

Upvote 0