Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just reading some of the posts in the Latter Day Saints and OBOB forums about blacks and racism and I must say that its funny, yet a little saddening about the mindset of it all.

Over all, since I've been a member of CF, I've read past threads about blacks and where we come from, how we're put into the category of being the 'strange ones' of the world, along with Jews, the mentally and physically handicapped and how these posters used it all to prove some kind of point they're trying to make. Do they not realize that we ('strange ones') read what they have the audacity to post? And then when they're confronted about it they'll tell you in so many words to kiss their [you-know-what] Why not just spit in our faces while you're at it? :eek:

I tell you what though, I thank God that's He's god all by Himself. He's kind to me, fo' sho! And then some. And He doesn't care about what color my skin is or any of that garbage. :thumbsup:

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

I'm sorry that some have treated you so poorly
hugs.gif

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know, I guess I live in a different world, but in all my 73 years I have worked with all types of people, I never see white, black, yellow or whatever - I see a human being who is just like me, I could never understand why there was such an issue.

Now when I see gangs like the Black Panthers - I see black and when I see gangs like the Skin Heads - I see white - but that is the only time I separate in my mind and put people in different catagories. I've had best friends who were African American and I have never looked at her and see black - I see a child of God that I love, we do things for each other, visit, travel together.

All my friends are the same - maybe it is different in different parts of the country, but in our area it is not a problem.

Upvote 0

Glenda

More, Lord.. More of You..
Sep 22, 2005
United States
Visit site
✟76,316.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm so sorry that you have experienced this kind of treatment.. :hug:

I don't care whether people are black, white, red, yellow, or purple.. we are all created by God.. and each & every one of us are made in His Image..

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Some people are gonna be stupid no matter what you do. You can be brilliant, and they will look down on you. You can be sincere and kind, and they will still judge you. I suppose it is morally worthwhile to waste some measure of time trying to win them, but I'm not particularly sure how much time that is--to me, it is worthwhile to make sure that I understand someone, especially in the midst of what I feel is a foolish insult. Peace is a valuable gift, sometimes purchased with very little. But at times it simply isn't worth selling yourself.

It pays to know the difference between preaching the Gospel and casting one's pearls. In any respect.

Reactions: Leah
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was just reading some of the posts in the Latter Day Saints and OBOB forums about blacks and racism and I must say that its funny, yet a little saddening about the mindset of it all.

Over all, since I've been a member of CF, I've read past threads about blacks and where we come from, how we're put into the category of being the 'strange ones' of the world, along with Jews, the mentally and physically handicapped and how these posters used it all to prove some kind of point they're trying to make. Do they not realize that we ('strange ones') read what they have the audacity to post? And then when they're confronted about it they'll tell you in so many words to kiss their [you-know-what] Why not just spit in our faces while you're at it? :eek:

I tell you what though, I thank God that's He's god all by Himself. He's kind to me, fo' sho! And then some. And He doesn't care about what color my skin is or any of that garbage. :thumbsup:

Galatians 3:26-29

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Reactions: WileyCoyote
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Over all, since I've been a member of CF, I've read past threads about blacks and where we come from, how we're put into the category of being the 'strange ones' of the world, along with Jews, the mentally and physically handicapped and how these posters used it all to prove some kind of point they're trying to make.

I don't have a clue what all that means, and I know a lot.

Sorry you were treated so badly.

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i have noticed a lot of that on this forum also. one reason why i stopped frequenting this forum is because of the general tone of the posts. the recent presidential campaign and consequential results have caused much of what is in people's hearts to surface, and it is sickening. i have read and heard some of everything. but guess what, it's real and we still have to figure out how to respect ourselves and one another. i won't be posting much anymore, they really don't care for me because i am too outspoken. but, i really don't care. i have a life to live.
God Bless America

bithiah2

Revolution is here!

Reactions: Leah
Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What? You have read racist comments about blacks in CF? That is a shame. Personally, I haven’t read any in this particular forum in the years I have been here.

But this last presidential election is historic in that it should take away any beliefs by black Americans that we are a racist nation. Barak Obama would not be our president-elect without the white vote and no one I know who voted against him did so because of the color of his skin. They did so because of his politics.

Another thing Obama’s election should do is remove from public debate the idea that in America whites are trying to keep blacks down. I mean, let's face it, the white vote has made an African American the most powerful man in the world.

~Jim
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain? ~Bob Dylan, 1979

Upvote 0

ralangley

Veteran
May 30, 2007
Washington State, USA
✟18,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry you were treated poorly.

It seems that those who don't recognize racism are those whom have never experienced it in all its subtlety. When you're not white, you notice subtle forms of racism that white people would never hear or see.

I've been given the opportunity to have experienced life from two sides. Someday, I'll ask God why, if its still important. I'm a half-breed - half Mexican Indian, half Swedish. When I'm with my white friends and family I'm treated entirely differently then when I'm with my mother and brothers who are dark. I've waited longer for tables and service at restaurants, and have been treated as if I'm going to shoplift when I go into a store with them. The look in many people eyes is unwelcoming and suspicious, or many times, they don't look at me at all. When I'm with my utterly white husband, I'm greeted, catered to, engaged with, and respected. People smile at me. I'm still the same. But I'm regarded in this culture as entirely different based upon what color people preceive me to be.

So if you say you've experienced racism here on this forum, I believe you even if I haven't experienced it myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

habeas

Veteran
Jun 18, 2005
✟3,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What? You have read racist comments about blacks in CF? That is a shame. Personally, I haven’t read any in this particular forum in the years I have been here.

But this last presidential election is historic in that it should take away any beliefs by black Americans that we are a racist nation. Barak Obama would not be our president-elect without the white vote and no one I know who voted against him did so because of the color of his skin. They did so because of his politics.

Another thing Obama’s election should do is remove from public debate the idea that in America whites are trying to keep blacks down. I mean, let's face it, the white vote has made an African American the most powerful man in the world.

~Jim

This is not true. As someone who is in an interracial marriage and who represents criminal clients, I can tell you racism is alive and well, at least in in Ohio. In Cuyahoga County (county seat - Cleveland), which voted for Obama (and always votes Democratic), there was a recent newspaper article which exposed the fact that white criminal defendants with low-degree felony charges are 55 percent more likely than black defendants with low-degree felony charges to be offered probation rather than jail time. The extreme disparity in sentencing has been well-documented.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter said, "Its as if the civil rights act never happened here [in the county]." My husband participated in the study the State legislature commissioned a few years back on racial disparity in sentencing. However, we have observed it first-hand. We don't need a study to confirm what we already know.

My husband has also experienced walking into a store and being watched (when I'm not with him). He has personally experienced a great deal of racism. The election of Obama does not change that, even though its getting a little better. Also, I believe many people who are nonminorities voted for Obama because it was a repudiation of McCain and Bush, the whole GOP, which stands for nothing good anymore, and we are led to believe that voting 3rd party is a "wasted vote." In PA, there were reports that union leaders had to overcome racism to get their members to vote for Obama.

I've also noticed some undertones of racism here on CF. Sometimes its overt (in the political forums).

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think racism is a disgrace and people that practice it are ignorant. But one thing I have noticed during this election is that the African-American people brought it up more than the white people - even Obama was always bringing it up - "I look different" etc.

In these 2 years of the election (which is way toooooo long) - I never heard one person say anything about race - it was always the liberal thing.

I am glad for the people that have experienced the racial treatment to have someone they are proud of in the office of President - I have witnessed it on the faces since the election. For those of us that have not known racism because of the color of our skin, we cannot relate - but there are other ways that get bad treatment that most of us have had happen to us - If you live in the wrong part of town you are looked down on - if one of your children strayed off the beaten path you are looked down on - if you don't have as big a house, as big a car, you are fat, you are physically impaired - etc - it is just a fact that it exists and is not always geared to race.

I can honestly say that in all my life I have not witnessed the racial treatment, I've worked side by side, sat on union boards with all nationalities of people and saw equal treatment, Is it possible that Africian-Americans could possibly be reading something into some looks or people observing them as something that it is not - when I see a beautiful African-American woman with one of those beautiful hair styles that I know it takes hours and hours to do - I look at her for a long time and wonder - how on earth do they have the patience to do that - or if their children have the same hair style - I look at how beautiful they look - it is not because they look different - it is because they are beautiful - God makes beautiful people and we look at them.

We are all God's children and God is color blind - everyone's heart is the same color.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

youthwalk

Kimpa Vita
Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
✟47,713.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship

I am sorry you experienced this too.
I see so many things on this 'christian' forum that just make me so sad.
In my case it's people who are wonderful with you UNTIL it comes to race, then, they ain't so nice anymore. Or when they see a picture and realise I'm a Black girl -- things change.

The ignorance is astonishing and so completely discouraging. I don't even want to interact with people anymore because of some of what I have seen. It seems to have gotten worse recently, or perhaps I have gotten tired of it.

It's not that they think you can't read it, it's that they hope you'll be afraid to respond. Not that it'd change anything if you did respond.

I changed my user title after a run in that left me totally untrusting and discouraged. Maybe we've met the same people, though I doubt it. The ones you met sound creepy-ish, the ones I did are normal, "God fearing" people.

Upvote 0

youthwalk

Kimpa Vita
Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
✟47,713.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship

~Jim

This is not true. As someone who is in an interracial marriage and who represents criminal clients, I can tell you racism is alive and well, at least in in Ohio. In Cuyahoga County (county seat - Cleveland), which voted for Obama (and always votes Democratic), there was a recent newspaper article which exposed the fact that white criminal defendants with low-degree felony charges are 55 percent more likely than black defendants with low-degree felony charges to be offered probation rather than jail time. The extreme disparity in sentencing has been well-documented.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter said, "Its as if the civil rights act never happened here [in the county]." My husband participated in the study the State legislature commissioned a few years back on racial disparity in sentencing. However, we have observed it first-hand. We don't need a study to confirm what we already know.

My husband has also experienced walking into a store and being watched (when I'm not with him). He has personally experienced a great deal of racism. The election of Obama does not change that, even though its getting a little better. Also, I believe many people who are nonminorities voted for Obama because it was a repudiation of McCain and Bush, the whole GOP, which stands for nothing good anymore, and we are led to believe that voting 3rd party is a "wasted vote." In PA, there were reports that union leaders had to overcome racism to get their members to vote for Obama.

I've also noticed some undertones of racism here on CF. Sometimes its overt (in the political forums).

It tries to be covert in the nicer forums too; WD, Singles etc. Can't hide it though.

Someone asked why they kept calling Obama black here on CF. I thought it was a stupid question. They said, he's mixed race -- half white so he's not "fully black".
He's black enough that neo-nazis want him dead.

He was apparently asked why he identified himself as African American since it isolated his White supporters. He responded by saying that had he robbed a bank or had he killed someone, he'd be Black then.

They would not put out an APB for "a mixed race male", it'd be "an African American male".
I find it hard to believe that people can't see that.

That represents a race issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.