Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
It tries to be covert in the nicer forums too; WD, Singles etc. Can't hide it though.

Someone asked why they kept calling Obama black here on CF. I thought it was a stupid question. They said, he's mixed race -- half white so he's not "fully black".
He's black enough that neo-nazis want him dead.

He was apparently asked why he identified himself as African American since it isolated his White supporters. He responded by saying that had he robbed a bank or had he killed someone, he'd be Black then.

They would not put out an APB for "a mixed race male", it'd be "an African American male".
I find it hard to believe that people can't see that.

That represents a race issue.
Yeah, this reminds me of something funny Wanda Sykes said in her book "Yeah, I Said It" about Tiger Woods. Here is an excerpt from her book:
Tiger was black when the sportswriters were covering him when he was an amateur. They were like, "Hey, this black kid coming out of Stanford is going to be the hottest thing in golf." As soon as he turned pro and won his first tournament, I read, "Biracial golfer wins first tournament." Oh, okay. He's fifty-fifty. He's fifty percent black and fifty percent Asian. All right, cool. Then after he won the Masters I'm flipping through Sports Illustrated and I read, "Tiger Woods is a quarter black." I'm like, "Damn, now he's down to twenty-five percent. What the hell is going on?" They're treating him like he's milk. You know, whole milk, half-and-half, two percent, one percent, skim. For every professional win he loses some blackness. Only thing keeping him black is every now and then his father shows up. "Hey, that's my boy. Don't try to steal him now." They're taking him away. One more major title and we'll read, "Tiger Woods has just been named the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan." Everybody wants you when you're a winner. But you know as soon as Tiger gets in trouble, what will we read? "Black golfer arrested. Black Panther Woods found guilty." The only place he'll be playing is on the public courses with O.J.

(Wanda Sykes, Yeah, I Said It pg. 77)

^_^ So true!!!

Upvote 0

habeas

Veteran
Jun 18, 2005
✟3,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It tries to be covert in the nicer forums too; WD, Singles etc. Can't hide it though.

Someone asked why they kept calling Obama black here on CF. I thought it was a stupid question. They said, he's mixed race -- half white so he's not "fully black".
He's black enough that neo-nazis want him dead.

He was apparently asked why he identified himself as African American since it isolated his White supporters. He responded by saying that had he robbed a bank or had he killed someone, he'd be Black then.

They would not put out an APB for "a mixed race male", it'd be "an African American male".
I find it hard to believe that people can't see that.

That represents a race issue.

I know, sometimes I felt like people just wanted to put a damper on the enthusiasm felt by African Americans, by referring to Obama as "not really black." I'm sure its been made clear to him that he's "black," innumerable times in innumerable ways, sometimes subtle, othertimes not so subtle, over the course of his life (even though he doesn't try to make an issue out of it).

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

I was just reading some of the posts in the Latter Day Saints and OBOB forums about blacks and racism and I must say that its funny, yet a little saddening about the mindset of it all.

Over all, since I've been a member of CF, I've read past threads about blacks and where we come from, how we're put into the category of being the 'strange ones' of the world, along with Jews, the mentally and physically handicapped and how these posters used it all to prove some kind of point they're trying to make. Do they not realize that we ('strange ones') read what they have the audacity to post? And then when they're confronted about it they'll tell you in so many words to kiss their [you-know-what] Why not just spit in our faces while you're at it? :eek:

I tell you what though, I thank God that's He's god all by Himself. He's kind to me, fo' sho! And then some. And He doesn't care about what color my skin is or any of that garbage. :thumbsup:
What funny to me is what if the mark given to cain was being white? As for the latter day saints if they hadn't have given money an time in calf. to fight 8 it would have past. Now the gays are acting like christian. ME,ME,ME. HOW SAD.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What? You have read racist comments about blacks in CF? That is a shame. Personally, I haven’t read any in this particular forum in the years I have been here.

But this last presidential election is historic in that it should take away any beliefs by black Americans that we are a racist nation. Barak Obama would not be our president-elect without the white vote and no one I know who voted against him did so because of the color of his skin. They did so because of his politics.

Another thing Obama’s election should do is remove from public debate the idea that in America whites are trying to keep blacks down. I mean, let's face it, the white vote has made an African American the most powerful man in the world.

~Jim

When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain? ~Bob Dylan, 1979

Dude, what're you talking about?! When I posted the OP, I wasn't even thinking about Obama and this belief that "American whites are trying to keep black down!" In case you didn't know, Jimbeaux, I'm not all caught up in politics nor do I let it have anything to do with who I am PERSONALLY.

The OP is about all the garbage that's tolerated in Christian Forums alone, not the election. So what you posted has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said.

You got that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leah

May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry you were treated poorly.

It seems that those who don't recognize racism are those whom have never experienced it in all its subtlety. When you're not white, you notice subtle forms of racism that white people would never hear or see.

I've been given the opportunity to have experienced life from two sides. Someday, I'll ask God why, if its still important. I'm a half-breed - half Mexican Indian, half Swedish. When I'm with my white friends and family I'm treated entirely differently then when I'm with my mother and brothers who are dark. I've waited longer for tables and service at restaurants, and have been treated as if I'm going to shoplift when I go into a store with them. The look in many people eyes is unwelcoming and suspicious, or many times, they don't look at me at all. When I'm with my utterly white husband, I'm greeted, catered to, engaged with, and respected. People smile at me. I'm still the same. But I'm regarded in this culture as entirely different based upon what color people preceive me to be.

So if you say you've experienced racism here on this forum, I believe you even if I haven't experienced it myself.

My ex-fiance is white and we both have experienced some pretty outrageous treatment from friends, family and strangers.

I remember when we went to the mall and walked past a group of young African-American men. They stared at us and said "awww, h$#@ no! Sista dun went on the wild side!" Their reactions were funny, yeah, but still isn't right to act that way towards people just because they're an interracial couple.

Another time was when he and I were out together and a young white girl sat and glared at us hard! The look on her face was one of utter disgust and she wasn't afraid to let us know either!

Or all the times we've been at a restaurant and people's eyes automatically went on me rather than him. No smiles, no hi, no nothing. Just staring.

Or how his friends would tell racial jokes about black people with me sitting right there with them, listening to that garbage! I tell you what though, they never did it again after I was done with them. ;)

Then there are those times when people actually took it upon themselves to complement us because we were such a good looking couple. :D

So it goes both ways, really. If you're in an interracial relationship (black woman and a white man, in my case), chances are you may experience racism from both sides.

Upvote 0

Leah

May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is not true. As someone who is in an interracial marriage and who represents criminal clients, I can tell you racism is alive and well, at least in in Ohio. In Cuyahoga County (county seat - Cleveland), which voted for Obama (and always votes Democratic), there was a recent newspaper article which exposed the fact that white criminal defendants with low-degree felony charges are 55 percent more likely than black defendants with low-degree felony charges to be offered probation rather than jail time. The extreme disparity in sentencing has been well-documented.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter said, "Its as if the civil rights act never happened here [in the county]." My husband participated in the study the State legislature commissioned a few years back on racial disparity in sentencing. However, we have observed it first-hand. We don't need a study to confirm what we already know.

My husband has also experienced walking into a store and being watched (when I'm not with him). He has personally experienced a great deal of racism. The election of Obama does not change that, even though its getting a little better. Also, I believe many people who are nonminorities voted for Obama because it was a repudiation of McCain and Bush, the whole GOP, which stands for nothing good anymore, and we are led to believe that voting 3rd party is a "wasted vote." In PA, there were reports that union leaders had to overcome racism to get their members to vote for Obama.

I've also noticed some undertones of racism here on CF. Sometimes its overt (in the political forums).

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
As a realist, I see prejudice as something that can be improved upon, but never eradicated completely (outside of a miracle). Even if racial divisions disappeared (what a boring world that would be), there would still be quantifiable quirks and traits that bring about prejudgements, and unjustified hatred. Prejudice is a result of the abuse of valuable tools within our psyche, and hatred is a perversion that is unavoidable.

That much is something that I take very seriously. Things that I have a hard time taking seriously, however, are the ridiculous notions that racism is not a two-way street, and that I as a caucasian have it easy, just because my skin is pale in relation to someone else. Both of those would be racist ideas, too.

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't even worry about Imama. One thing blacks are, is survivors. We have survived our own lives thus far and that say a LOT..and it is because the creator of the WORLD is ALSO OUR CREATOR and we need not need anybodys approval or acceptance, we already have it by the one who designed us.

Blacks and Jews, probably the most hated..that says a lot to me, I actually feel special.

Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, etc, etc, etc...it does not get any better than that.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

Oh mate...how awful!!! You'd think you'd be safe on a Christian forum wouldn't you? But nup - even they have an opinion on ethnics yadda yadda and can probably give you a bunch of scriptures too that they have twisted around to suit their argument!

I grew up on the "British Israel" type rubbish being shoved down my throat! You should check out that! Or maybe you shouldn't cos it'd probably make you sick!

They'd tell you how we all come from an elite race but then finish off by saying "Oh but it really doesn't matter because we are all in line for God's promises"

Well if it doesn't matter then why bring it up!

Blerrrrrrgh! *shivers*

At least you know that not everyone share's their sentiments :)

Upvote 0

Leah

May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't even worry about Imama. One thing blacks are, is survivors. We have survived our own lives thus far and that say a LOT..and it is because the creator of the WORLD is ALSO OUR CREATOR and we need not need anybodys approval or acceptance, we already have it by the one who designed us.

Blacks and Jews, probably the most hated..that says a lot to me, I actually feel special.

Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, etc, etc, etc...it does not get any better than that.:thumbsup:

Word! :thumbsup:

But you're gonna have to pray for me cuz I sure don't wanna have to go gospel gangster on somebody up in here. :sayan:

Reactions: WileyCoyote
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leah

May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry you experienced this too.
I see so many things on this 'christian' forum that just make me so sad.
In my case it's people who are wonderful with you UNTIL it comes to race, then, they ain't so nice anymore. Or when they see a picture and realise I'm a Black girl -- things change.

The ignorance is astonishing and so completely discouraging. I don't even want to interact with people anymore because of some of what I have seen. It seems to have gotten worse recently, or perhaps I have gotten tired of it.

It's not that they think you can't read it, it's that they hope you'll be afraid to respond. Not that it'd change anything if you did respond.

I changed my user title after a run in that left me totally untrusting and discouraged. Maybe we've met the same people, though I doubt it. The ones you met sound creepy-ish, the ones I did are normal, "God fearing" people.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I grew up in Calif and was quite familiar with the Watts riots. One time at the Rose Parade a friend and I went in search of a restroom and 'cept for the fact that we did not stop but kept on walking we would have been in a racial conflict with a group of black girls who tried to start a fight with us. Some time later the Lord made me face some prejudice when I met a beautiful black woman and she invited me to come to her home to meet her husband. She did not mention that he was white. :o I still feel some embarrasment at the emotions I felt when I saw him...I had always been taught that interacial marriage was sin. Of course that was just one of several "false teachings" that God hit me in the face with.

As far as actual mistrust of another race I felt more of an issue with Mexican men 'cause they were the ones who always made crude gestures and comments when I walked by, but I think I've gotten past that :)

When I moved to Florida I noticed more racial tension in the churches than I had in Calif...at least in some of them. The white churches were quite vocal about interacial marriage and sometimes I did notice different treatment toward any black members. However, there was also the other way around. When I was working for a missionary organization, there was one particular black woman who kept accusing the whites of being prejudice. :scratch: I would be in the same meetings with her and she would start up immediately accusing every little word or action that was done or said as being prejudice. I could not see it.

I did find a church finely though that had South Africans, Asians, blacks from the varieties of islands off the coast of Florida, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Austrailians, etc.. that regularly attended. I loved all the different groups.

I had several black sisters as friends. We would get together and go out and I would be the only white person and we would have a great time. If we were glared at I did not see it.

Since moving here to Kansas I can't say I've actually "seen" prejudice but I have heard it. When I have a van full of mixed-race railroaders everything seems to go ok, but whenever we go by a policeman they've made the comment that if we (the van) got pulled over, guess who would be the one searched first? I've also noticed that when the van is full of just white railroaders the racial slurs and jokes are sometimes free flowing. I have not figured out a way to say anything yet to the fact that while I am white, I have a Mexican step-mom who produced 2 half-Mexican siblings and my sister has two children from a black man who are now adults with black children. My brother by the same mom and dad as I is prejudiced as well as at least one of his sons who was in prison and while their joined up with some "white gang" that is against blacks and Jews. :( I'm not sure about his other two boys. My dad is also prejudiced against blacks and Mexicans, even though he married a Mexican... but his reasoning was that she is a "light" Mexican so it's ok. :scratch:

Anyway, I don't feel that I'm prejudice at all now. I have a lot of good friends of many different races.

I don't mind having a black president. I'm a little uneasy about where our nation is headed but I don't know that it would be headed in any different direction if the guy I voted for won. I wish the best for the Obama family and pray for their protection and for wisdom in leading the nation.

I know in heaven we will all be together. All nations prasing and glorifying God. So we need to get use to it here. :angel:

Reactions: WileyCoyote
Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Word! :thumbsup:

But you're gonna have to pray for me cuz I sure don't wanna have to go gospel gangster on somebody up in here. :sayan:

lol!..I feel ya sis.....^_^i'll say a SPECIAL prayer for you on this one..

Reactions: Leah
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry you experienced this too.
I see so many things on this 'christian' forum that just make me so sad.
In my case it's people who are wonderful with you UNTIL it comes to race, then, they ain't so nice anymore. Or when they see a picture and realise I'm a Black girl -- things change.

The ignorance is astonishing and so completely discouraging. I don't even want to interact with people anymore because of some of what I have seen. It seems to have gotten worse recently, or perhaps I have gotten tired of it.

It's not that they think you can't read it, it's that they hope you'll be afraid to respond. Not that it'd change anything if you did respond.

I changed my user title after a run in that left me totally untrusting and discouraged. Maybe we've met the same people, though I doubt it. The ones you met sound creepy-ish, the ones I did are normal, "God fearing" people.

Yep, thought I was the only one who noticed this..In my cases, I noticed until one day I 'mentioned' I was black in some post...and then I put up my picture and noticed it too from some who did not know I was black..Yep......Says a lot doesn't it. I think that is why I was to stay incognito for a while, then I felt like I was suppose to put my pic up...so, I did and it just confirmed what I already knew..

If I was white some people on here would be much more 'friendly' with me. But, that is the thing though. I don't care to make friends with anyone on this forum, or need anybodys approval..and those who I know and that I like, like me regardless of my skin..and the rest, well..they are in my prayers.

When you start talking 'skin color' nobody wants to talk about it, cos they would have to admit to their own prejudices and racists hearts...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is not true. As someone who is in an interracial marriage and who represents criminal clients, I can tell you racism is alive and well, at least in in Ohio. In Cuyahoga County (county seat - Cleveland), which voted for Obama (and always votes Democratic), there was a recent newspaper article which exposed the fact that white criminal defendants with low-degree felony charges are 55 percent more likely than black defendants with low-degree felony charges to be offered probation rather than jail time. The extreme disparity in sentencing has been well-documented.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter said, "Its as if the civil rights act never happened here [in the county]." My husband participated in the study the State legislature commissioned a few years back on racial disparity in sentencing. However, we have observed it first-hand. We don't need a study to confirm what we already know.

My husband has also experienced walking into a store and being watched (when I'm not with him). He has personally experienced a great deal of racism. The election of Obama does not change that, even though its getting a little better. Also, I believe many people who are nonminorities voted for Obama because it was a repudiation of McCain and Bush, the whole GOP, which stands for nothing good anymore, and we are led to believe that voting 3rd party is a "wasted vote." In PA, there were reports that union leaders had to overcome racism to get their members to vote for Obama.

I've also noticed some undertones of racism here on CF. Sometimes its overt (in the political forums).

You get to see we are not over exxagerating race issues from having a black husband...You see it for yourself, as well as working for the system..Yep, it is well and alive. I can't even imagine what they say about you just for being with a black man..It is sad...but thank God u don't have to answer to ANYBODY but God sis.:)

Upvote 0

Leah

May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as actual mistrust of another race I felt more of an issue with Mexican men 'cause they were the ones who always made crude gestures and comments when I walked by, but I think I've gotten past that :)

Oh girl, I've gone through that too, and it doesn't feel too good to be viewed in such a raunchy and pigish way. I'm glad you've gotten past it. You are who God says you are. :thumbsup:

SP said:
When I moved to Florida I noticed more racial tension in the churches than I had in Calif...at least in some of them. The white churches were quite vocal about interacial marriage and sometimes I did notice different treatment toward any black members. However, there was also the other way around. When I was working for a missionary organization, there was one particular black woman who kept accusing the whites of being prejudice. :scratch: I would be in the same meetings with her and she would start up immediately accusing every little word or action that was done or said as being prejudice. I could not see it.

Yeah, I will admit that there are some blacks who misinterpret what people say and do. And with those accussation, I do not agree with either. However, I also realize that in order for them to even think that way, something had to have happened in their life that causes them to have that way of thinking. No one justs comes up with stuff just because. Ususally, there's a reason for our way of thinking, know what I mean? :)

SP said:
Since moving here to Kansas I can't say I've actually "seen" prejudice but I have heard it. When I have a van full of mixed-race railroaders everything seems to go ok, but whenever we go by a policeman they've made the comment that if we (the van) got pulled over, guess who would be the one searched first? I've also noticed that when the van is full of just white railroaders the racial slurs and jokes are sometimes free flowing. I have not figured out a way to say anything yet to the fact that while I am white, I have a Mexican step-mom who produced 2 half-Mexican siblings and my sister has two children from a black man who are now adults with black children. My brother by the same mom and dad as I is prejudiced as well as at least one of his sons who was in prison and while their joined up with some "white gang" that is against blacks and Jews. :( I'm not sure about his other two boys. My dad is also prejudiced against blacks and Mexicans, even though he married a Mexican... but his reasoning was that she is a "light" Mexican so it's ok.

Wow... :scratch:

SP said:
Anyway, I don't feel that I'm prejudice at all now. I have a lot of good friends of many different races.
SP said:
I don't mind having a black president. I'm a little uneasy about where our nation is headed but I don't know that it would be headed in any different direction if the guy I voted for won. I wish the best for the Obama family and pray for their protection and for wisdom in leading the nation.

I know in heaven we will all be together. All nations prasing and glorifying God. So we need to get use to it here. :angel:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.