Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah - "Prosperity" is a major plank in WOF theology.

Some common (negative) descriptors of WOF theology that particularily apply to the prosperity message:

"Name it and Claim it"
"Confess it Possess it"
"Blab it and Grab it"
yup...

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul was WOF!

Here is the scriptural proof.

Rom 10:8
But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; KJV

Paul said he preached the word of faith

Word Of Faith = WOF.
:)

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Paul was WOF!
Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; KJV
Paul said he preached the word of faith
Word Of Faith = WOF.
:)
Cute.
However, in context:
6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "Do not say in your
heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' (that is, to bring Christ down),
7 or 'Who will descend into the abyss?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the
dead)."
8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your
heart"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,
9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart
that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with
the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." (NASB)​

But if you want to go the way you were going, I prefer another translation that gives the initials "WOB" :-D

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Cute.
However, in context:
6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "Do not say in your
heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' (that is, to bring Christ down),
7 or 'Who will descend into the abyss?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the
dead)."
8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your
heart"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,
9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart
that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with
the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." (NASB)​

But if you want to go the way you were going, I prefer another translation that gives the initials "WOB" :-D

nope.
WOB is Word of Belief.
WOF is Word of Faith.

the difference between the two is that the first example is limited by the scope of our knowledge and experience.
The second is limitless, because it is founded upon the bedrock of God who is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.
And He owns everything there is to own past, present, and future, as the Creator.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yea how did 'seed' become money???

I thought the seeds were the gospel!

ask your local banker or anyone on Wall Street, and you will get a different answer.

In your posts you are criticizing what you do not understand, and that from a position standing outside of the fold.
As such, I would advise that you do more research on the topic.

Upvote 0

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
nope.
WOB is Word of Belief.
WOF is Word of Faith.

the difference between the two is that the first example is limited by the scope of our knowledge and experience.
The second is limitless, because it is founded upon the bedrock of God who is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.
And He owns everything there is to own past, present, and future, as the Creator.
True to the last, and Paul specifically said in Eph 1:3
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, (NASB)​
Fantastic, eh? Note that he says "every spiritual blessing" and not "every physical blessing."
He goes on to write:
15 For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which
exists among you and your love for all the saints,
16 do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my
prayers;
17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you
a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.
18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know
what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His
inheritance in the saints,
19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.
These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might
20 which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and
seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,
21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that
is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
22 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head
over all things to the church,
23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all. (NASB)​
He has given us much in the heavenlies, so why sell our birthright for a mess of porridge?

It might be of interest that the Greek word translated as, "faith" or "believe" is often better translated as trust. Trusting in our loving Father and trusting in our lover, Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
and if (as Paul says), we have every spiritual blessing, that would include the knowledge and wisdom found in the Bible.
and with that knowledge and wisdom, we would then know how to use what God so graciously provides us with in this life.

See the problem with so many folk who look at WOF from the outside is that instead of applying that knowledge and wisdom found in the bible to God's promises,
they instead apply the knowledge and wisdom of the world, which says that greed is ok, me first is the rule, and gimme, gimme, gimme.

In essence it's like trying to start a Mercedes with the key from a Jeep.

that's why WOF doesn't work for them.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
nope.
WOB is Word of Belief.
WOF is Word of Faith.

ῥῆμα τῆς πίστεως (rhema tes pisteos), it's the same whether you translate it as "word of faith" or "word of belief" or "word of trust".

The word here is the Gospel, it is near, in the believer's heart because they believe and trust it, and on their mouth because they confess it. They believe in their heart and confess with their mouth what? Jesus Christ raised from the dead. The Gospel. This isn't some magickal word, it is the trust and confession that Jesus Christ is Lord and that God has raised Him from the dead.

-CryptoLutheran[/quote][/QUOTE]

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
sorry. if you are WOF, you might want to seriously look where your heart is. Is it on God or what you can GET from God?

God gives us freely when we ask, not demand.

I agree that God gives us freely what we ask for.

IF.

We know how to ask in faith.

IF.

We ask according to His will.

He hears us.
IF.

We know that he hears us.

Then what ever we ask we KNOW that we have the request we made of him.

1 John 5:14-15
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. KJV

IF.

We receive what we ask for when we pray.

IF.

We want to receive what we ask for when we get it.

Very seldom do we get it.

Mark 11:24
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. KJV

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul was WOF!

Rom 10:8
But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; KJV

Actually, that's not scriptural proof. That's a silly claim and an out of context Bible verse with your ideology read into it.

Here is the verse in its proper context, as an honest person would have posted it:

1Brothers,a my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them (that is, the Jews) is that they may be saved. 2For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

5For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them. 6But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7“or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

14How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?c And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

So, as you can see, this verse, when read in the context of its passage, has nothing to do with WoF, but is contrasting righteousness based on the law with righteousness based on faith.

Nice try, though.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - that is the belief. If you are not wealthy and in good health you LACK FAITH. It can be said in a very condemning way.

An amusing anecdote: THe church I attended in Lansing MI back in the early '80s was near an up and coming WOF congregation. One day the wife of one of our asst pastors was out shopping with their kids and saw a small van that she liked. They had been talking about buying a new car. So the owner sees her looking it over and tells her "You want one like this? Just confess it and God will give it to you." At which point her 10 year old son says to him "Why don't ya just give us yours and you can confess to get a new one."

Many years ago, before God got me out of WoF, I attended a somewhat well known WoF in Pennsauken, NJ. The people there all confessed new cars, new furniture, new clothes, etc. And every last one of them went broke. I drove an old pickup truck It was a working truck with plenty of battle scars. They used to tell me all the time that my truck was an offense to God, that I should confess a new luxury car like they had. I tried to explain to them that I liked my truck. They always looked down their noses at me for that.

The pastor one night (who evidently didn't have the faith to rebuke a heart attack because he's dead now) went on and on about how we had to perform miracles in order to get people to convert. That they wouldn't believe the Gospel without seeing miracles.

I pointed out to him later that Jesus called people like that "wicked and adulterous" and that Paul said it was the conviction of the Holy Spirit that results from the preaching of the cross that saves, not miracles.

I was invited to not come back. Literally everybody I knew in that church shunned me.

Upvote 0