pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets Revisit this again, some people are totally against drinking wine, I have perosnally seen the bad effects of alcohol (drunkenness) in a life. The bible condemns drunkennes, But the bible does not say not to drink wine. as matter of fact it encourages it. Ecclesiastes 9:7 "drink your wine with a merry heart". Psa 104:14 states "GOD gives wine that makes glad the heart of men. Amos discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God's blessing.
Here are my points:
1.Jesus MADE wine, if it was so bad, why did he make it?
Yes, the wine mentioned in the bible is fermented wine, do a little research, try wikipedia.
2. I see TV evanglists say drinking is wrong, but these same guys & ladies have very expensive suits & elaborate clothes, very expensive shoes, Joyce has a Imelda Marcos-esque shoe collection, all kinds of plastic surgery done, own several multi-million homes & ranches, eat expensive food, stay in very expensive motels, be chauffered around, they have huge salaries..then ask me to send them 60.00 per month for 12 months,,
Sounds like gluttony to me. Which is wrong like drunkeness.
3. What happened to meekness, "be of modest apparel" ? . Peter said: Do not let your adorning be external, braiding hair, putting on gold jewelery, or the clothes you wear. These guys are some of the most conceited people I see on TV. Wrong too,,,
Is this OK?
would love to see in their pantries, we would all be suprised
,,,,,,No one touches that,,

what are your thoughts? Lets keep them to the 3 points please

A New Day

Jan 7, 2013
✟16,921.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, the wine mentioned in the bible is fermented wine, do a little research, try wikipedia.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7736862/

2. I see TV evanglists say drinking is wrong, but these same guys & ladies have very expensive suits & elaborate clothes, very expensive shoes, Joyce has a Imelda Marcos-esque shoe collection, all kinds of plastic surgery done, own several multi-million homes & ranches, eat expensive food, stay in very expensive motels, be chauffered around, they have huge salaries..then ask me to send them 60.00 per month for 12 months,,

3. What happened to meekness, "be of modest apparel" ? . Peter said: Do not let your adorning be external, braiding hair, putting on gold jewelery, or the clothes you wear. These guys are some of the most conceited people I see on TV. Wrong too,,,
Is this OK?

If we take care of this body and it does not hurt our relationship with God it is not a problem, we live in a physical world after all. And we must not cause anyone to stumble with what we do especially if somone is a preacher or an example to others right?

1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God

Also i think that when our spirit or faith is strong then we can not fall to be prideful, but if your spirit may not be strong enough some times and you wish to take care of this body by any means that you choose make sure that you humble yourself and remind yourself first that the body is nothing and don't give it too much attention because if you give too much attention you may get more obsessed with your body so think that what you will do is only to help your body to be in a better condition in order to serve the Lord better.

Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, shame follows. But wisdom comes to those who are not proud.

What a lot think is prideful it is really shameful, listen to this, Genesis 3:19
You will have to work hard and sweat a lot
to produce the food you eat.
You were made out of the ground.
And you will return to it.
You are dust.
So you will return to it.

What a lot think is prideful it is really shameful, so since we understand this now when we take care of this body we will know that it will not have an importance to our spiritual life because we will remember that what we will do is like when we drink and when we eat and here the wisdom comes to understand the following:
1 Corinthians 10:13 You are tempted in the same way all other human beings are. God is faithful. He will not let you be tempted any more than you can take. But when you are tempted, God will give you a way out so that you can stand up under it. 23 You say, “Everything is permitted.” But not everything is good for us. Again you say, “Everything is permitted.” But not everything builds us up. 25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market. Don’t ask if it’s right or wrong. 30 Suppose I give thanks when I eat. Then why should I be blamed for eating food I thank God for? 31 So eat and drink and do everything else for the glory of God. 32 Don’t do anything that causes another person to trip and fall. It doesn’t matter if that person is a Jew or a Greek or a member of God’s church.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the problem with 'TV evangelists' is that they are just like you and me (Rom 2:1); they are imperfect people who do not meet God's requirement of righteousness based on their performance; other than Jesus, no one in a flesh body has ever been qualified to speak for God in the earth, but yet we as reborn believers are to preach the gospel.

(Php 1:15 KJV) Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
(Php 1:16 KJV) The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
(Php 1:17 KJV) But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
(Php 1:18 KJV) What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

(Rom 14:21 KJV) It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
(Rom 14:22 KJV) Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
(Rom 14:23 KJV) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

(Mat 15:1 KJV) Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
(Mat 15:2 KJV) Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
(Mat 15:3 KJV) But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
(Mat 15:4 KJV)For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
(Mat 15:5 KJV)But ye say, Whosoever shall say tohisfather orhismother,It isa gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
(Mat 15:6 KJV)And honour not his father or his mother,he shall be free.Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
(Mat 15:7 KJV)Yehypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
(Mat 15:8 KJV)This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me withtheirlips; but their heart is far from me.
(Mat 15:9 KJV)But in vain they do worship me, teachingfordoctrines the commandments of men.
(Mat 15:10 KJV) And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
(Mat 15:11 KJV) Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
(Mat 15:12 KJV) Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
(Mat 15:13 KJV) But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
(Mat 15:14 KJV)Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
(Mat 15:15 KJV) Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.
(Mat 15:16 KJV) And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
(Mat 15:17 KJV)Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
(Mat 15:18 KJV)But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
(Mat 15:19 KJV)For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
(Mat 15:20 KJV)These arethe thingswhich defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

drinking to much, eating too much, having too much - these things do not defile a man - it's what comes OUT of a man from the evil in his heart and through his mouth that defiles him :)

Upvote 0

pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"drinking to much, eating too much, having too much - these things do not defile a man"

Good statement, BUT it defiles God. We want more, but the bible CLEARLY warns about drunkards, gluttons, riches. Does not warn against drinking a little wine, eating modestly,and our daily needs to be met.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
wine is clearly mentioned in the Bible, and in fact one of Jesus' miracles involved making a good-quality wine so it could be drunk at a wedding festival. Clearly then - Jesus was not opposed to the drinking of wine under all circumstances.

The issue here is moderation.
A small amount of wine may do no harm - and medical evidence actually suggests that it is beneficial to human health.

But excess drinking, drunkenness, and alcoholism are extremely destructive to peoples' lives. I have lived in a family where reckless alcoholism (step-father) had terrible effects on family life. I drink wine today - but am very careful to limit it to about half a glass (and never if I am going to drive).

Moderation.
Or if you cannot be moderate - then don't do it.

Gideon

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lets Revisit this again, some people are totally against drinking wine, I have perosnally seen the bad effects of alcohol (drunkenness) in a life. The bible condemns drunkennes, But the bible does not say not to drink wine. as matter of fact it encourages it. Ecclesiastes 9:7 "drink your wine with a merry heart". Psa 104:14 states "GOD gives wine that makes glad the heart of men. Amos discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God's blessing.
Here are my points:
Is this OK?

Generally, drinking wine in moderation without moving into drunkenness, falls into the Freedom in Christ we have as Christian Adults . One can choose to stay away from it all together, may have a glass of wine at Thanksgiving only, or have some a few times per year . They key is not to become drunk on it which is allowing the potential of a WRONG SPIRIT to take you over while under its influence. We want the Holy Spirit to be in charge of us at all times.

Lastly, we are not to cause another to stumble by drinking wine in their presence if they are , for example, recoving alchoholics or are weak in their self control . In such cases, we should abstain from drinking wine while in such a persons prescence out of respect for them.

Finally, Jesus himself turned at least 55 gallons of water in barrels into very good tasting quality wine as his first public miracle at a Canaan wedding in order to spare the Host great embarrassment from running out. So, he PROVIDED it but it was still up to the Recipients to consume it with responsibility and integrity -- its the same today for us who call Christ , Lord of our lives.

Regards.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here are my points:
Is this OK?

The Tax Collector - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here are my points:
Is this OK?

[FONT=&quot]You gave scriptures I had not seen before, which I appreciate.

I decided to let wine go completely since becoming a committed Christian. I don't see how one could have guests and evening dinner in a home and serve wine. There would be chatter inside and outside the group. Wine is very often associated with worldly pleasures. I can only imagine some of the conversations that would arise and perhaps the risk of appearing hypocritical. This is a hypothetical situation but is one I know I wouldn’t handle well. We are admonished to avoid even the appearance of evil. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

There are going to be those who demand their right to drink or serve wine. I would say, if it is that important go ahead and exercise you rights.

I cannot imagine getting good fruit from wine drinking that could not be gotten another way just as easily. I know that if I were thrust into a situation, as just cited, where wine would be involved, I know that I could not conduct myself in faith and anything not of faith is sin; Rom 14:22. I would have to avoid that scene altogether.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums