✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all

My life in Jesus grows stronger every single day. My old, habitual self of Sin and selfishness is truly dying and through Gods word, conviction from the Holy Spirit and Christian education, I can now see how far away from Jesus I once was.

I have a group of long standing friends who are nice to me and respect me, however, I’m simply a different man and this is causing me to think very carefully of who I spend time with and what I spend time doing.

I no longer use foul language, I can’t stand the Lords name being taken in vain, not interested in crude jokes, drinking heavy (I like a drink but not to be drunk) I’m not interested in joking about people, I’m not interested in gossip, I’m not interested in looking/lusting at other women, I live my life in Jesus daily, so I avoid this sort of thing daily. I slip occasionally, I may say a swear word, I may say the Lords name by habit but I know immediately it’s wrong and seek forgiveness.

Its now getting more and more rare and I will not stop until it is rinsed from my heart, I ask Jesus everyday for help with this and it’s about 95% better than it was.

Right, my dilemma is that I have a “lads night out” planned for early December and I’m dreading it. The reason being is that some will swear, some will use the Lords name in vain, some will lust after women, I will hear crude jokes, some will make fun of people, some will gossip, most will get drunk. As a collective I will be right in the middle of everything I’m trying to remove from my life and from my heart.

Do I stay away and slowly let those friends go? Is it normal to feel like this after finding Jesus (properly)? Is this a test I should carry on with and call out the things I don’t like?

At this moment in my journey with God, I’m reluctant to be with anyone who speaks and thinks differently to my new way of life but then I get scared that there are not many people I know who have my faith, so I might end up being insular when my job is to help save souls once I have the appropriate knowledge?

Thank you for your advice
David

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You should talk to your friends about your faith, since it now defines you completely as a new creature in Christ. It sounds like a good way to open up. They must have noticed a change in your behavior by now, so they're probably wondering what's up. As for going to the lads night out, do you think you can handle being around the temptation? Or are you strong and confident enough in your faith to not smoke/drink/swear/lust etc? If not, then maybe decline. Best of luck and God bless

Reactions: Beslowtoanger
Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should talk to your friends about your faith, since it now defines you completely as a new creature in Christ. It sounds like a good way to open up. They must have noticed a change in your behavior by now, so they're probably wondering what's up. As for going to the lads night out, do you think you can handle being around the temptation? Or are you strong and confident enough in your faith to not smoke/drink/swear/lust etc? If not, then maybe decline. Best of luck and God bless
Thank you and God Bless you too

They have not really seen me since I turned to Jesus. I’ve mentioned it to some in the odd WhatsApp message and had a 1:1 conversation with another. I have Gods armour so I have absolute confidence that I will no way get involved, but it will give me pain hearing it and then have others try a joke with me privately, will be very awkward. I don’t want to ruin their (so called) fun, especially when I once took part in it and now get upset with it. I’m leaning towards not going at the moment.

• Friendly
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you and God Bless you too

They have not really seen me since I turned to Jesus. I’ve mentioned it to some in the odd WhatsApp message and had a 1:1 conversation with another. I have Gods armour so I have absolute confidence that I will no way get involved, but it will give me pain hearing it and then have others try a joke with me privately, will be very awkward. I don’t want to ruin their (so called) fun, especially when I once took part in it and now get upset with it. I’m leaning towards not going at the moment.
How long have you been a Christian for? Maybe not going is for the best then. I went to a party an old friend of mine had at his house. I stayed for a few hours and I didn't smoke or drink alcohol but after awhile I just felt out of place and left early. It's just not my scene any more to be around people getting drunk/high and lusting after others. A fish belongs in water, and I felt like a fish out of water.

I would suggest you let your friends know about your new found faith in Christ sometime in the near future. It could be a good evangelism opportunity.

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ve been, what I call, a true practicing Christian daily for the past 2 months. This is all about carrying my cross daily, I think about that the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. I pray daily, I read daily and I concentrate on what pleases God daily. I just feel that this monumental shift from what I was to who I am will be attacked when I go out with friends who have a different way of thinking/living. The thing is, I’m not sad, because I love Jesus, he’s all I need.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am will be attacked when I go out with friends who have a different way of thinking/living. The thing is, I’m not sad, because I love Jesus, he’s all I need.
This is true. If you're only 2 months into your Christian walk then just focus on reading the bible right now. Especially read all of the New Testament. Spiritual attacks will come; it is the believer's lot in life. Take this time to gain strength.

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is true. If you're only 2 months into your Christian walk then just focus on reading the bible right now. Especially read all of the New Testament. Spiritual attacks will come; it is the believer's lot in life. Take this time to gain strength.
Thank you for your kindness

• Friendly
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all

My life in Jesus grows stronger every single day. My old, habitual self of Sin and selfishness is truly dying and through Gods word, conviction from the Holy Spirit and Christian education, I can now see how far away from Jesus I once was.

I have a group of long standing friends who are nice to me and respect me, however, I’m simply a different man and this is causing me to think very carefully of who I spend time with and what I spend time doing.

I no longer use foul language, I can’t stand the Lords name being taken in vain, not interested in crude jokes, drinking heavy (I like a drink but not to be drunk) I’m not interested in joking about people, I’m not interested in gossip, I’m not interested in looking/lusting at other women, I live my life in Jesus daily, so I avoid this sort of thing daily. I slip occasionally, I may say a swear word, I may say the Lords name by habit but I know immediately it’s wrong and seek forgiveness.

Its now getting more and more rare and I will not stop until it is rinsed from my heart, I ask Jesus everyday for help with this and it’s about 95% better than it was.

Right, my dilemma is that I have a “lads night out” planned for early December and I’m dreading it. The reason being is that some will swear, some will use the Lords name in vain, some will lust after women, I will hear crude jokes, some will make fun of people, some will gossip, most will get drunk. As a collective I will be right in the middle of everything I’m trying to remove from my life and from my heart.

Do I stay away and slowly let those friends go? Is it normal to feel like this after finding Jesus (properly)? Is this a test I should carry on with and call out the things I don’t like?

At this moment in my journey with God, I’m reluctant to be with anyone who speaks and thinks differently to my new way of life but then I get scared that there are not many people I know who have my faith, so I might end up being insular when my job is to help save souls once I have the appropriate knowledge?

David
I would say it might be better for you to have 1 on 1 hangouts with those friends rather than to meet with them all in a group when you know what it's going to be about and it doesn't please you and it grieves the Holy Spirit as well. During those hangouts you can witness to your friends about Jesus 1 on 1, which will be easier to do than in a group activity where everyone is focused on feeding the lust of the flesh. Spiritual attacks come to all of us, no matter our level of maturity, and especially as young a Christian as you are, Satan is eager to drag you back into your former bondage. Pray for your friends and also pray that God will give you boldness and wisdom before you hang out 1 on 1 or even in a group if you decide to do so. Your reluctance to be with people who speak differently shows your growing love for God, which is beautiful. God bless you.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi all

David
"bad company corrupts good morals"
1 Cor 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.”

1 Pet 4:2 so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human lusts, but for the will of God. 3 For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of indecent behavior, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties, and wanton idolatries. 4 In all this, they are surprised that you do not run with them in the same excesses of debauchery, and they slander you;

"IN the World" - but no longer OF the world

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums