Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Maybe the off shore wind turbines ain't a good idea after all?
I read the NPR article he was complaining about. I read one of the impact assessments he cited.

Dude is just whining. Companies have to file a projected impact statement when they do this work, but the one I read said that none of the equipment they would be using would produce sound levels high enough to cause permanent damage. It could bother them, which isn't good, but the animals would have to be fairly close to the equipment for that to happen.

He tried to imply that the beachings are because of windfarms, but didn’t provide any evidence and the scientists shut that down pretty clearly in the original article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Heritage Foundation. Who I look to for obfuscation and disinformation on anything energy and climate related.

Wind power is not 100% clean by any means. But stack it up against fossil fuel combustion for a proper understanding.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Anything to make wind power look bad, eh?
It would seem that way. IIRC, it was the NPR article that said that 40% of the whale carcasses found showed signs of entanglement with fishing equipment or ship strikes. I await the Heritage Foundation's guidance on how we should modify maritime commerce so as to be more eco-friendly.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does the harm to marine life from this compare to the harm done to marine life within the various facets of the forms of energy we're currently using?

For instance, is the number whales & dolphins killed by the offshore wind turbines in excess of the whales that are killed, by say, an oil carrying vessel at sea? (point of reference, collisions with vessels kills about 20,000 whales per year, and 40% of all vessels at sea are used for transporting coal, and oil)

Per the article, it states that (for an entire wind farm) "it stated that acoustic waves associated with the siting of the wind turbines would likely affect 10 whales" (that's just the process of moving and placing the wind turbines during the initial setup, after they're in place, that's no longer an issue unless a one-off whale accidentally swims into one of the beams underwater at full speed or something...but the same risk would be there for a giant rock sticking up)

So it doesn't really seem like this a very compelling critique against wind power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heritage Foundation. Who I look to for obfuscation and disinformation on anything energy and climate related.

Wind power is not 100% clean by any means. But stack it up against fossil fuel combustion for a proper understanding.
I have. I think petroleum is a much better and cleaner alternative, especially as we have massively cleaned up over the last several decades the pollution it creates. Now, the only thing people complain about is its production of CO2, which is actually a GOOD element. We need more of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have. I think petroleum is a much better and cleaner alternative, especially as we have massively cleaned up over the last several decades the pollution it creates. Now, the only thing people complain about is its production of CO2, which is actually a GOOD element. We need more of it.
You have to be kidding.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have to be kidding.
Dead Serious. On a related item, I don't think we should applaud lots of folks buying EV's until we build a few dozen more nuclear reactors.

• Winner
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How does the harm to marine life from this compare to the harm done to marine life within the various facets of the forms of energy we're currently using?

For instance, is the number whales & dolphins killed by the offshore wind turbines in excess of the whales that are killed, by say, an oil carrying vessel at sea? (point of reference, collisions with vessels kills about 20,000 whales per year, and 40% of all vessels at sea are used for transporting coal, and oil)

Per the article, it states that (for an entire wind farm) "it stated that acoustic waves associated with the siting of the wind turbines would likely affect 10 whales" (that's just the process of moving and placing the wind turbines during the initial setup, after they're in place, that's no longer an issue unless a one-off whale accidentally swims into one of the beams underwater at full speed or something...but the same risk would be there for a giant rock sticking up)

So it doesn't really seem like this a very compelling critique against wind power.
In addition to the risk from fishing and ship traffic, Mr Heritage also neglects to account for the future dangers of changing ocean chemistry brought by warmer temperatures and higher co2 levels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In addition to the risk from fishing and ship traffic, Mr Heritage also neglects to account for the future dangers of changing ocean chemistry brought by warmer temperatures and higher co2 levels.
Meh. It's cyclical.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Meh. It's cyclical.
It is happening now, forcing oyster farming industries to set up in Hawaii rather than in the Puget Sound, and the sea water is rising in acidity there as well. And it is tied to the amount of CO2 in the air.

The fact that they have never had to move before indicates it is not cyclical.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is happening now, forcing oyster farming industries to set up in Hawaii rather than in the Puget Sound, and the sea water is rising in acidity there as well. And it is tied to the amount of CO2 in the air.

It might be cyclical on the order of millennia.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that were true, we should have found some evidence of this occurring in past millennia. This would be particularly true when examining the layers of sediment that have accumulated over millennia, that some layers would have increased acidity at this level -- but no such evidence appears to exist.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In which case we don't have records of it or the skills to deal with it yet. But life in the ocean should have some strategy for it, but we are not seeing that.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They've never had to move before because they've not been around that long.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,813.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Meh. It's cyclical.
Problem is that when the cycle is getting accelerated and is powerful enough, we as a species or other species might not make it through said cycle.
But I see from your flippant attitude that you don't really care about the long term implications.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Problem is that when the cycle is getting accelerated and is powerful enough, we as a species or other species might not make it through said cycle.
But I see from your flippant attitude that you don't really care about the long term implications.
My "flippant attitude" is based on my strong and educated belief that there is no crisis. At all. We're fine.
This video may help (to get it to work, remove the period from "http.s": http.s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJv1IPNZQao&list=PLPu9up22tsDRcRyVLY9wS6iYLfdQqoTdR&index=5&pp=gAQBiAQB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My "flippant attitude" is based on my strong and educated belief that there is no crisis. At all. We're fine.
Link to video that explains your “thinking” is borked.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Link to video that explains your “thinking” is borked.
Take the period out of HTTP.S and it should work. I can get to it through any other means except linking it from this site for some reason. It does exist.
Maybe this will work:

Upvote 0