razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's something you may or may not be willing to entertain as a possibility. If G-d is who He tells us, He set the stars in order. (And also gave them to us for signs) You can get a free book showing how the Gospel is in the stars, but here's an 8-part series about what was going on in the stars. This is part 7, covering what was happening during Jesus' death. (You won't understand it all if you don't watch all 8 parts; the first 5:30 of part 1 is pretty slow and could be skipped)

The REAL STAR of Bethlehem Pt.7 - YouTube

Upvote 0

chris4243

Advocate of Truth
Mar 6, 2011
✟2,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why won't God meet me on my terms?

Funny story, I wanted to give away a free item to anyone who would come and take it, because I like people even if they are total strangers. But one guy called and said he really wanted the item so I should take it to him, and that I shouldn't stubbornly insist on him coming to me.

Upvote 0

chris4243

Advocate of Truth
Mar 6, 2011
✟2,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I ask:
First question is to test God's knowledge:
What polar direction am I sitting in as I type this?
West, southwest, south, southeast, east, northeast, north or northwest?
Yet after 16 pages, no one comes back with a response from God. Why would God be so reluctant to do something which would move one closer to believing God exists?

Trick question. You haven't verified exactly which of those directions you're closest to facing, nor would you be convinced by an answer with 1/8th chance of having randomly guessed it.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've had many people tell me that God doesn't "perform parlor tricks" or that God will not meet me on my terms, only on his terms. If I am to say I will only meet God on my terms, then how is what I'm doing any different from what God is doing?
MY FRIEND,

YOU ARE NOT GOD!
The best thing you could do would be to get down on your knees--the proper place to be when in the presence of your Creator-- apologize for acting like you are more than the nothing you, in fact, are, and pray that He accepts your apology--He will gladly do so, but ya gotta ask first.

"Why can't God meet me on my terms" Wow!--Amazing! You have taken hubris to new heights.

ephraim

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would you honestly expect the President of the United States to meet you on your terms? If not, why should the Creator of the universe?
Hi Cieza, I hope you are well. I was shown this sermon today that does a good job of rubbing in the last two comments:

Indescribable by Louie Giglio - Part 1 of 5 - YouTube

Indescribable by Louie Giglio - Part 2 of 5 - YouTube

Indescribable by Louie Giglio - Part 3 of 5 - YouTube

Indescribable by Louie Giglio - Part 4 of 5 - YouTube

Indescribable by Louie Giglio - Part 5 of 5 - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I've had many people tell me that God doesn't "perform parlor tricks" or that God will not meet me on my terms, only on his terms. If I am to say I will only meet God on my terms, then how is what I'm doing any different from what God is doing?
In any relationship, don't you have to meet the other person partway? From what I have heard of people who sought God, God did meet them part way. By this I mean that God did respond. BUT, the response was very seldom what the person wanted.

It seems from you post that you want a Vending Machine god. That is, put in your money and you get what you push on the button. But God isn't a machine. You wouldn't treat another person this way, so why God?

I ask:

Yet after 16 pages, no one comes back with a response from God. Why would God be so reluctant to do something which would move one closer to believing God exists?
Because you are setting up a trick, a trap. Let's face it, no matter what anyone posts, you can always say you are/were sitting in a different direction. So why would anyone, including God, fall for such a trick? I wouldn't take you up on that challenge even if I had a telescope focussed on your room. It's a no-win situation for me.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

My terms are very simple for God or anyone else who both knows everything and can easily communicate with humans.

See http://www.christianforums.com/t7613145/ for more on this.

I ask:

Why would a human meet a worm on the worm's terms?

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's an unfair question to ask.

But I guess my question for the OP is why would God performing parlor tricks mean anything to you?

I don't think anyone finds God without searching. Searching requires sacrifice, and you don't get anything of value in this world for nothing.

If you search for God you can find God everywhere. If you demand God meet you then you will never see Him anywhere.

No one demands anything of God, the same way no good parent would allow their child to boss them around; God will not allow you to tell Him what to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
If a worm were capable of requesting that, they would not be a worm, woud they?
Why not? You are assuming that worms don't have language. You may be right, but it may be that humans don't speak the smell/taste language worms use. How about dolphins?

Actually, in Jesus God did meet us on our terms, didn't He? I would say that becoming human is the ultimate on meeting us on our terms. What do you say?

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God doesn't perform parlor tricks on a whim because:

1. the necessity of His existence is so apparent that rejecting some sort of God is pure logical fallacy.

2. as stated before, God is God, and, like it or not, you are His creation.

Take this analogy for example:

A rich man sees a beggar on the street. The rich man decides to aid the beggar in life. The rich man promises to give the beggar 100,000 dollars and 30 days worth of food. The rich man says, "If you want more, come work for me in my estate. There, I promise you, there are more rewards for your service." The beggar, however, is not ready to work and declines. The rich man, not distraught, promises to return a month later, with the same amount of supplies and the same offer.

The beggar manages to secure a house and lives comfortably for a while.

As he said, the rich man returns a month later. The beggar, wanting more than what was offered, says, "Give me 200,000 dollars and 60 days worth of food." The rich man says in reply, "I am happy to give you even more than this. However, I do not want to spoil you and make you lazy; you simply just have to work for me and everything will be given." The beggar, however, refuses to work and demands his increase. When the rich man refused again, the beggar storms off. The rich man sets 100,000 dollars and 30 days worth of food in the beggar's house and leaves, determined to come back again in a month.

I can't believe I used a corny parable to illustrate a point; sorry about that. However, the meaning remains the same. I hope you can pick out the lesson within; i will explain if need be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0