United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not declaring war on God.
But you are. However as I have pointed out you do not have the authority to make this war mean anything to anyone except you.

If God knows what I'm thinking, then he already knows that I have dictated terms to him.
(Your declaration of war)

I guess whether or not I have the authority to do that is moot, as I've already done it.
apparently not, since your wondering why nothing has come of you planned battles with The Almighty. So I guess what the next best thing for you is to smash your best arguments against anyone who will listen.

Not really a "war" since all of your challenges to God all go unanswered.

Do you want answers or are you content on being ignored?

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm not declaring war on God. If God knows what I'm thinking, then he already knows that I have dictated terms to him. I guess whether or not I have the authority to do that is moot, as I've already done it.

I was actually just thinking about this the other day as I was trying to pin down what is meant by "authority".

The conclusion I came to is that there is a subtle distinction between "authority" and "free will". You, Cieza, have free will to make your own decisions but you do not have "authority" over the Truth. The Truth will be the Truth regardless of what we think of it.

So you have "authority" insofar as you can choose autonomously. But the Truth will be what it will be regardless of your (or my) decision.

Assuming God exists in the normal Christian sense, then he is the Truth and He will be what He will be regardless of your free will decision. In that sense, He is THE authority simply because He is the Truth and the Reality and He is independent of our decisions. "I am that I am".

This is why you can't dictate terms to God. You can't dictate terms to reality.

Think about a scientist. A scientist runs an experiment and the experimental result conflicts with his hypothesis. The scientist makes the free will decision to ignore certain aspects of the data and spin the experimental result such that it suits his hypothesis. However, the Reality of the experiment doesn't change just because he made a free will decision. In this sense, he has the "authority" to change his results in that he has free will. But the Reality of the experiment is independent of his free will decision.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was actually just thinking about this the other day as I was trying to pin down what is meant by "authority".

The conclusion I came to is that there is a subtle distinction between "authority" and "free will". You, Cieza, have free will to make your own decisions but you do not have "authority" over the Truth. The Truth will be the Truth regardless of what we think of it.

So you have "authority" insofar as you can choose autonomously. But the Truth will be what it will be regardless of your (or my) decision.

Assuming God exists in the normal Christian sense, then he is the Truth and He will be what He will be regardless of your free will decision. In that sense, He is THE authority simply because He is the Truth and the Reality and He is independent of our decisions. "I am that I am".

This is why you can't dictate terms to God. You can't dictate terms to reality.

Think about a scientist. A scientist runs an experiment and the experimental result conflicts with his hypothesis. The scientist makes the free will decision to ignore certain aspects of the data and spin the experimental result such that it suits his hypothesis. However, the Reality of the experiment doesn't change just because he made a free will decision. In this sense, he has the "authority" to change his results in that he has free will. But the Reality of the experiment is independent of his free will decision.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So God won't meet me on my terms because he is God.

Do you know want to know why I won't meet God on his terms? Because I am me. Given your answer, I'd say you should now understand why I won't meet God on his terms.

Unfortunately, God does not change His mind. What He declares is that which will be.

What are your terms, btw?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If I'm stubbornly insisting that God meet me on my terms, then God is stubbornly insisting that I meet God on his terms.
Actually, God is insisting that you recognize your place - and His. They are not the same. God, as the Almighty Sovereign of the Universe who sustains every moment of your life, deserves your total submission and obedience. You, on the other hand, as a sin-corrupted, finite, utterly-dependent speck of life on a tiny globe in a staggeringly vast sea of galaxies have no right whatsoever to demand anything of your Creator. When God, the All-Powerful, All-knowing Creator of Everything is "stubborn" it is completely appropriate. When you, a comparatively ignorant, weak, and powerless creature, are stubborn it reflects nothing but the myopically self-centered arrogance of one who is embarrassingly unaware of his incredible insignifance in the grand scheme of things.

Is being stubborn a quality that God would be proud to have?
You're assuming God is stubborn for the same reasons and in the same way that you are, which is a profoundly mistaken assumption.

More importantly, if God is real, then he can do anything. So deviating from his stubbornness would be far easy for him than it would be for me.
It might be easier for Him to be less stubborn, but it would be worse for you if He acquiesced to your stubborness. Quite frankly, you need to learn humility before your Maker. You need to see the incredible value in submitting to God's way rather than He to yours. His way is the best way. He made you and knows exactly what you need to live the most fulfilled life possible. Giving in to your demands would be tantamount to a parent letting his child rule the roost. Doing so is bad for the parent but far, far worse for the child. Besides, God doesn't need you, Cieza. He is not diminished one iota by your stubborn refusal of Him. You, however, whether you realize it or not, are in desperate need of Him. His "stubborness" has no negatives, it causes no diminishment of His perfection. Your stubborness, though, is going to land you in hell.

Why is God so stubborn?
Because His way is the absolute best way.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I've had many people tell me that God doesn't "perform parlor tricks" or that God will not meet me on my terms, only on his terms. If I am to say I will only meet God on my terms, then how is what I'm doing any different from what God is doing?

What are your terms?

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've had many people tell me that God doesn't "perform parlor tricks" or that God will not meet me on my terms, only on his terms. If I am to say I will only meet God on my terms, then how is what I'm doing any different from what God is doing?

Well, seeing as how you sinned against a God who's only crime was creating you in the first place... I'd say he's the one to judge such things, not you. Besides, how selfish is it to demand the one who gave you life to meet you on your terms? Who are you that you can even make such a demand?

Eh, sorry if I seem a bit aggressive. I'm going through a few things in my life that has me on edge. Just know that I mean well with my posts.

Upvote 0

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cieza, I think I answered your question concisely here in your Does God want atheists and other non-believers to believe he exists thread. I hope you will read it and respond. I'm also looking forward to your response to my other two posts directed to you here and here.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God knows the future - if you are asking something that will not be in your best interest - God will not give it to you. Say you are asking God for a certain job and your heart is set only on that job - since God knows the future and knows possibly what will happen with that job and decides that another job would be more secure for you - if you took the job you have your eyes on you would not be looking for the path that maybe God has laid out for you.

When we put our desires ahead of God - we are causing the problem, not God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, God does not change His mind. What He declares is that which will be.

What are your terms, btw?
My terms are very simple for God or anyone else who both knows everything and can easily communicate with humans.

See http://www.christianforums.com/t7613145/ for more on this.

I ask:
This thread is for asking God questions. Since there are Christians in here who claim to be able to communicate with God, we'll count on them to ask the questions and then post God's answer when they get a response from God.

First question is to test God's knowledge:
What polar direction am I sitting in as I type this?
West, southwest, south, southeast, east, northeast, north or northwest?
Yet after 16 pages, no one comes back with a response from God. Why would God be so reluctant to do something which would move one closer to believing God exists?

Upvote 0

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What are your terms?

My terms are very simple for God or anyone else who both knows everything and can easily communicate with humans.

I ask:
This thread is for asking God questions. Since there are Christians in here who claim to be able to communicate with God, we'll count on them to ask the questions and then post God's answer when they get a response from God.

First question is to test God's knowledge:
What polar direction am I sitting in as I type this?
West, southwest, south, southeast, east, northeast, north or northwest?
Yet after 16 pages, no one comes back with a response from God. Why would God be so reluctant to do something which would move one closer to believing God exists?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why would God be so reluctant to do something which would move one closer to believing God exists?

Because He has already gone to tremendous lengths to reveal Himself to humanity and you've rejected that revelation! He set aside His heavenly glory, humiliated Himself in taking on human form, lived a humble life and died a miserable death all to reveal to us His love for us and to reconcile us to Himself. But you want more. You've got your own special hoop for God to jump through. None of what He has already done matters, only your hoop. Well, Cieza, God does not agree. His hoops are the ones that matter, not yours.

Selah.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You're rather like a child whose parent has spent a huge amount of time, money and energy to give the child a wonderful birthday party. There are friends, favorite food, amusements, and gifts but the child is unhappy. In spite of all the good things he has been given, he pouts sourly because his pet rock wasn't invited. "I don't care about the cake, or my favorite pizza, or my stupid friends!" he cries. "I want my rock, my pet rock! Why didn't you invite him? You could have, but you didn't! I hate this party!"

Now, don't get hung up on the details of the party; it's the attitude of the child that parallels your own, Cieza. You have been provided by God with a host of evidences and revelations of His being and nature. But, like the petulant child above, you will not believe unless God brings you your "pet rock."

In the end, the child was sent to his room and spanked and all of the happiness of his birthday party was sacrificed for one miserable painted stone. I hope you'll be wiser than this child and enter into the fulfillment and joy of fellowship with God rather than sacrificing it all for your "pet rock."

Selah.

Upvote 0

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because He has already gone to tremendous lengths to reveal Himself to humanity and you've rejected that revelation! He set aside His heavenly glory, humiliated Himself in taking on human form, lived a humble life and died a miserable death all to reveal to us His love for us and to reconcile us to Himself. But you want more. You've got your own special hoop for God to jump through. None of what He has already done matters, only your hoop. Well, Cieza, God does not agree. His hoops are the ones that matter, not yours.

Selah.

Amen aiki! :amen: :preach:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're rather like a child whose parent has spent a huge amount of time, money and energy to give the child a wonderful birthday party. There are friends, favorite food, amusements, and gifts but the child is unhappy. In spite of all the good things he has been given, he pouts sourly because his pet rock wasn't invited. "I don't care about the cake, or my favorite pizza, or my stupid friends!" he cries. "I want my rock, my pet rock! Why didn't you invite him? You could have, but you didn't! I hate this party!"

Now, don't get hung up on the details of the party; it's the attitude of the child that parallels your own, Cieza. You have been provided by God with a host of evidences and revelations of His being and nature. But, like the petulant child above, you will not believe unless God brings you your "pet rock."

In the end, the child was sent to his room and spanked and all of the happiness of his birthday party was sacrificed for one miserable painted stone. I hope you'll be wiser than this child and enter into the fulfillment and joy of fellowship with God rather than sacrificing it all for your "pet rock."

Selah.

What an awesome analogy, aiki! Well done! :preach:

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

I ask:

Oh, you are the one.
Well I did give you the message from God, but you had already closed your ears and your heart, so you were unable to hear it.

So now you are on your own.

Upvote 0

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, you are the one.
Well I did give you the message from God, but you had already closed your ears and your heart, so you were unable to hear it.

So now you are on your own.

I have also told him the message of God numerous times and other believers have also told him. So, I can only conclude that his heart has been hardened, because he has consistently refuses to believe or accept anything he's been told by believers in his threads. He outright rejects anything he's been told thus far.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I ask:

God did respond to you and you ignored it. See post 29.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

See what I emphasized? That is a horribly flawed misperception! I fully expect there are many other errors at the root of your confusion here, but this is at least one contributing factor. G-d is Spirit. Can you touch your Spiritual ears? No? Can you check your Spiritual hearing? No? By what means do you think G-d can magically communicate with you, "easily?" I take umbrage at your blatant disrespect for anyone who has ever actually heard from G-d, which is an incredible miracle whenever it happens.

Upvote 0