Not open for further replies.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Why we have LGBTQ Pride and not 'Straight Pride'
Every time a month or week — or even a day — purporting to honor the achievements of a minority group starts, in storms some seldom-silent members of the majority with cries of "What about us?"

In February, it's, "Well, what about White History Month?"

In March, some men will decry the need for an International Women's Day, celebrated on the 8th.

June is Pride Month, a time to reflect on and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer history. Undoubtedly — and like clockwork — some will wonder: But what about "Straight Pride"?

The simplest expression to help illustrate the continuing need for these days and months (other than "every day is men's day" or "white history is celebrated every month" or "straight pride is every day") is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As a long time advocate for LGBTQ rights, I do appreciate you sharing this article, my friend. I like this quote from the article: "The resilience of the LGBTQ community alone is worthy of celebration. We are miracles." I agree wholeheartedly with that statement and with the article itself. I have long stood in solidarity with them and I have stood up for their civil rights and equality in this country - the United States of America, a nation supposedly founded on freedom, liberty and justice for all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's "Let's Celebrate Our Abomination" Month!

And this represents one of the very reasons why I am not an evangelical Christian myself. I can't honestly say anything more without getting into trouble for flaming this sect of Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And this represents one of the very reasons why I am not an evangelical Christian myself. I can't honestly say anything more without getting into trouble for flaming this sect of Christians.
It's okay, I already know the script. Bigot this, homophobe that.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's okay, I already know the script. Bigot this, homophobe that.

These terms didn't initially come to my mind when I think of evangelical Christians. I was thinking more along the line of how I think these Christians tarnish the image of the gospel and causes me not to want to have anything to do with their preferred version of Christianity. That's one of the reasons why I like to follow some of them around when they're out proselytizing people. I like to call them out and question them about their own sins when they are trying to convert people to their preferred version of Christianity. First, they start to uncomfortably squirm and then they get all indignant before they storm away in anger. I guess they don't like stones being thrown at their own glass house.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
These terms didn't initially come to my mind when I think of evangelical Christians. I was thinking more along the line of how these sect of Christians tarnish the image of the Gospel and cause me not to want to have anything to do with their preferred version of Christianity. That's one of the reasons why I like to follow some of them around when they're out proselytizing people. I like to call them out and question them about their "sins" when they are trying to act holier than thou in public.
It's not a 'brand' of Christianity. God said it's an abomination in both the Old and New Testaments. We can have a debate about what's right and wrong and what we believe God wants for our lives without it meaning we just HATE gay people for existing. We don't, at all. God creates morality, not people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There's no such thing as a "gay" accomplishment or a "straight" accomplishment. It's just an accomplishment. Your sex life is your own personal business and people shouldn't be cheered because of their sexual orientation. "It's so brave that she came out!" No, it wasn't brave. Too many people expect to receive a shortcut because of their identity, but that's not how it works. I didn't have it any better just because I'm a straight, white male.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Just like other parades, LGBT Pride parades celebrate the fact that they are alive and living in the open. They are celebrating that they have survived.

Celebrating life always makes sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m a gay rights supporter . I don’t know if CF will allow this post . I’m a heterosexual female and as a teen I had to put up with an immature narcissistic parent who repeatedly abused me verbally and emotionally over going thru the normal physical changes of adolescence. I do understand very well what gays go thru by being abused like that and I would NEVER do that to another human being because I had it done to me. It made me suicidal. That’s what some gays go thru, emotional abuse to the point that some suicide. That what they survived despite your flippant comment

Upvote 0

Waterwerx

Jul 14, 2016
Hazleton, PA
✟63,759.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
It's all about promoting a lifestyle that at one time was seen as destructive, unnatural, or offensive by a very large majority. The fact that we have whole "Christian" denominations accepting these lifestyles tells me they're turning more and more away from the Bible.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
There's no such thing as a "gay" accomplishment or a "straight" accomplishment. It's just an accomplishment. Your sex life is your own personal business and people shouldn't be cheered because of their sexual orientation. "It's so brave that she came out!" No, it wasn't brave. Too many people expect to receive a shortcut because of their identity, but that's not how it works. I didn't have it any better just because I'm a straight, white male.
It's easy to make this argument when no one has threatened you or attempted to kill you because of sexual orientation. You don't think it's brave because you've never had to risk your life expressing your sexual preference, many LGBTQ people have been killed for doing just that. That is why we should celebrate this month as it is always a joy when one can be themselves without having to worry about being killed.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just like other parades, LGBT Pride parades celebrate the fact that they are alive and living in the open. They are celebrating that they have survived.

Celebrating life always makes sense.

Speaking of celebrating the beauty of my gay friends, my husband and I are having a dinner party for them in their honor, in our home in a couple of weeks. My kids and I are currently making the plans.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.