The return to 'Satanic panic': Canada's grief for mass murders never committed...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On May 27, 2021, Chief Rosanne Casimir of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation announced that ground penetrating radar (GPR) technology had located the remains of 215 children on the grounds of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School located in British Columbia, Canada.

The news was readily accepted and publicly grieved by every society figurehead and institution.

On May 28, The New York Times ran with the headline, ‘Horrible History’: Mass Grave of Indigenous Children Reported in Canada.’

Three days following the press conference, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issued an apology for those “whose lives were taken” at Kamloops. He ordered Canadian flags to be flown at half-mast and they would remain lowered for nearly six months, raised a few days before Nov. 11, only to be lowered again for Remembrance Day.

Pope Francis spoke of “the shocking discovery of the remains of 215 children” in his June 6 Angelus address.

Taking their lead from the Pope, church communities quickly reacted. In the following weeks, many congregations set out 215 pairs of child-size shoes on their front steps.

Between the half-mast flags and the little shoes, Canada was covered that summer by a pall of grief that extended from sea to sea to sea.

The grief quickly turned to anger. A wave of church burnings and vandalisms ensued. The violence continues to this day. According to the media outlet True North, some 96 churches have been burned, damaged or desecrated in the last two and a half years. As recently as December, two Alberta churches were burned to the ground. Trudeau noted that though burning churches was wrong, the anger was “real and … fully understandable, given the shameful history that we are all becoming more and more aware of.”

However, it seems that the high tide of collective guilt has finally started to pull out and the retreat has left behind the detritus of what some now say was a “moral panic.”

The incremental shift in public sentiment is in part due the absence of bodies.

To date no excavations have taken place in Kamloops, despite the federal government allocating CAN $7.9 million for the task in August 2021.

Continued below.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hope this isn't hijacking your thread, Michie, but I've read (er, listened to) a good book twice now that doesn't specifically talk about this incident but more the overarching behavior of the press and this incestuous relationship it has with power now. I think what it describes is responsible for the terribly slanted coverage of this issue and why there were no broader apologies for or retractions of the story.

It's a secular book so there's bad language in it. I recommend the audiobook version because you can actually hear the interviews he conducted with all the individuals featured in his book rather than just see their quotes in print. He features a wide range of interviews, primarily with journalists from across the spectrum. From Tucker Carlson and Kayleigh McEnany to Josh Rogin and others from WaPo, the NY Times, CNN, etc.

It's titled Uncovered: How the Media Got Cozy with Power, Abandoned Its Principles, and Lost the People by Steve Krakauer (no relation to Jon Krakauer, author of Into Thin Air).

I think all of us in this forum know the media is slanted, but we don't necessarily know how or why. I think if there was more awareness about how the sausage is made then maybe more people as a group would push back on bogus narratives like casting blame on the Catholic Church for a mass grave in Canada.

If you'd prefer a print copy over an audiobook, he's releasing it on paperback on February 20th.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope this isn't hijacking your thread, Michie, but I've read (er, listened to) a good book twice now that doesn't specifically talk about this incident but more the overarching behavior of the press and this incestuous relationship it has with power now. I think what it describes is responsible for the terribly slanted coverage of this issue and why there were no broader apologies for or retractions of the story.

It's a secular book so there's bad language in it. I recommend the audiobook version because you can actually hear the interviews he conducted with all the individuals featured in his book rather than just see their quotes in print. He features a wide range of interviews, primarily with journalists from across the spectrum. From Tucker Carlson and Kayleigh McEnany to Josh Rogin and others from WaPo, the NY Times, CNN, etc.

It's titled Uncovered: How the Media Got Cozy with Power, Abandoned Its Principles, and Lost the People by Steve Krakauer (no relation to Jon Krakauer, author of Into Thin Air).

I think all of us in this forum know the media is slanted, but we don't necessarily know how or why. I think if there was more awareness about how the sausage is made then maybe more people as a group would push back on bogus narratives like casting blame on the Catholic Church for a mass grave in Canada.

If you'd prefer a print copy over an audiobook, he's releasing it on paperback on February 20th.
Thanks for the info Gnarwhal. It sounds like something I’d be interested in reading.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for the info Gnarwhal. It sounds like something I’d be interested in reading.
It definitely captured my interest and attention enough to go through it twice, though I don't know if that's just because I work in media too.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It definitely captured my interest and attention enough to go through it twice, though I don't know if that's just because I work in media too.
Well I’m sure that’s part of it. I read the news so much that it definitely interests me. Trying to find unbiased news is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I’m sure that’s part of it. I read the news so much that it definitely interests me. Trying to find unbiased news is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
It really does feel like a search for the Holy Grail. It's gotten to a point where I just follow individual reporters, but even they tend to reveal bias at some point. It just depends if that bias is acceptable or too extreme one way or another.

I started following Krakauer after I read his book, he works for The Hill now. I also follow Charlie LeDuff, he might be the last truly independent journalist in the country. I don't think he has any bylines with major or even local media, but he's old school. He does investigative work, he writes politically. A lot of it's focused on Michigan stuff like Detroit and Flint but he also writes more broadly on national stuff sometimes and he seems pretty centrist or apolitical. Though, I know he's been on Tucker a few times when Tucker was on Fox, so make of that what you will lol.

Upvote 0