✟23,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Psalm 141:3, "Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips."

First, I have to say I was looking up this opening verse as I was already deeply into handwriting this message in my notebook, and when I flipped my Bible to Psalm 141, at the top of the page I had written "Watch your mouth." As soon as my eyes fell on that I heard someone say at a distance "Watch your mouth!" That was so awesome. It was like God confirming and approving the message.

This subject is not preached on very much, and in fact I have never heard a whole sermon on it. Only occasionally is it brought up during a sermon or Bible study, and often then it's something very passive, like, "And we need to be careful what we say," or, "We shouldn't be cussing and swearing."

I have read a couple sermons on the topic: The Heinous Sin of Profane Cursing and Swearing, by George Whitefield in 1738! And, A Sermon on Profane Swearing, by S. Smalpage in 1787! I will quote some of the latter sermon here, after I decipher the Old English that it's typed in where "s" looks like an "f" at the beginning or middle of a word. Regarding profane swearing,

"Among military and sea-faring men it is regarded almost as a necessary accomplishment, and even cherished as a principle: in almost all sports and pastimes, it assails our ears above every other sound: and in private companies, our conversations are more or less infected with it; though the fashion of the times hath indeed excluded it in some measure from genteel societies." (pg 7)

Although it is rarely preached on today, Scripture has a LOT to say about this subject. We will also address lying in this message, and all forms of unwholesome talk: however, the main thrust is to address profanity which today saturates society almost anywhere you go.

We will begin with James 3:2-10
"If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be."

James is very clear; the tongue is set on fire of hell, and speaking of those who both bless and curse, "These things ought not to be."

Now cuss words, swearing, and profanity has been called by some ministers who dare breech this topic, the mark of a fool, of stupidity, of ignorance, and lack of education. People are said to use cuss words because they don't know what else to say; they are "filler words."
Truth is though, as a former blasphemer and profane swearer, cuss words make you think you sound powerful, or intimidating, or in control. When I began to use them in 4th grade around the age of 9 or 10, I also believed they made me grown up as they were forbidden just like drink and cigarettes. After all, ALL cuss words have their origin in a dark power: the fire of hell as James says, and some people's flesh feels good when they partake of the forbidden fruits of darkness.

That profanity and vain swearing is everywhere on TV nowadays, and people use it as part of their daily talk is no excuse. It is not only stupid and ignorant, lacking any wisdom: IT IS SIN!

In Matthew 15:18-20 Jesus tells us,
" But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man"

Here Jesus is telling us what comes out of the mouth comes from the heart, then He proceeds to tell us these things defile a man. And does not cussing and swearing all have to do with violence, or sex, or excrement and other uncleanness, or thieving, or lying, and blasphemy? Mostly it is rooted in sex, body parts, waste, or damning something - and I don't mean a creek!

Let these scriptures speak:

Ephesians 5:3-5, "But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God."

Note here that filthiness, foolish talking, and jesting are stuck right in the middle of this brief discourse on things that keep one from "any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God." Now let's go back to the previous chapter:

Ephesians 4:25-32, "Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Neither give place to the devil.
Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

You can actually go on your own and read all of Ephesians 4:17 through to 5:21 which will give you the whole context, and it definitely shows evil speaking of all kind, of any kind, are not convenient, are grieving the Holy Spirit, and are works of darkness.

Colossians 3:5-10, "Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."

Verse 8 is clear: "But now ye also put off ALL THESE; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth."

Some of the following passages deal also with lying, boasting, and pride, but all go to show the extreme importance God places on how His people talk. The LORD requires wholesome language from us, not profane, vile, blasphemous, foolish, or hurtful.

Psalm 12:3-4,
"The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?"

Psalm 24:3-4
"Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully."

Psalm 34:1,
"I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth"
(I'm led to put this verse in there to show we should be blessing God, and if we are blessing the LORD at all times, will we be cussing, or lying, or saying hurtful things? No, as Paul would write: God forbid!)

Psalm 39:1,
"I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me."

Psalm 59:12-13,
"For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.

Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be: and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. Selah."

Psalm 55:19, "God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God."
(This verse is so important and I've done a whole message on it a couple years ago. If there is no change, you're really not fearing God, and if you're not fearing God, that places you in bad way, on a slippery slope, and the only recovery from a complete crash is to turn with your whole heart to Christ and to abide in Him.)

Psalm 73:8, 9, 12, 18 & 19,
"They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily. They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.... Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction. How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors."

Psalm 101:5, "Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer."

109:18, "As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones."

140:11, "Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him"

Exodus 23:2 "Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment:"

Leviticus 19:11, "Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another."

Proverbs 4:24, "Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee"

Proverbs 6:12-15, "A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth. He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers; Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord. Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy."

Proverbs 10:31, "The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out."
(Ouch. Now as far as I know, you're probably not going to get your tongue cut out in America, unless you tell on a Cartel boss or something like that, but this verse does show the seriousness of this issue. This was something done in the dark ages for blasphemy. Here it goes along with Jesus saying if your hand or eye offends you, cut it off, pluck it out - meaning to cease from the evil you are doing with that member.)

Matthew 12:36-37, "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

Proverbs 10:19-20, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise. The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth."

13:3, "He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction"

Proverbs 18:21, " Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."
(I know this particular verse is a favorite of the prosperity preachers who teach the occult doctrine of speaking things into existence. there is some truth to this, but they take it to the extreme. But if you are speaking filthy cussing and swearing, you are speaking death to your own soul, and defilement and death you are spewing out at anyone that hears you. It is darkness, and oppression, a weight of iniquity: the word of Satan - and I can say that for James does say the tongue is set on fire of hell.)

Proverbs 19:5 & 9, "A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape...A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish."

Proverbs 21:23, "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."

Proverbs 24:9, "The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men."

Job 2:9-10, "Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips."

Jeremiah 9:5-6, "And they will deceive every one his neighbour, and will not speak the truth: they have taught their tongue to speak lies, and weary themselves to commit iniquity. Thine habitation is in the midst of deceit; through deceit they refuse to know me, saith the LORD"

Romans 3:11-14 "There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:"

I'll conclude with Isaiah 6:5-7. As far as we know Isaiah was a righteous man, a prophet: the prophet who wrote some of the sweetest, most detailed, and most profound Messianic prophecies. There is no record of Isaiah falling as did a Samson, or King David, or Solomon, or even Moses with his one act of disobedience at the rock of Horeb. Isaiah is more in the company of a Daniel, a Samuel, and a Nathaniel who Jesus said was an Israelite in whom there is no guile. (John 1:47) Yet when Isaiah saw the LORD high and lifted up he cried,
"Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged."

That is how serious this is. Let us who have received Christ and profess Christ as our Saviour and claim the name of Christian say with Isaiah "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips..." If you've been cussing, cut it out. If you've been lying, or slandering, or complaining saying hurtful things, cut it out. Let the LORD touch thy lips that thine iniquity be taken away and thy sin purged. Let the praise of the LORD be in thy lips:

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer." -(Psalm 19:14)