May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In the case of a pauper who sells himself into slavery or a man who is redeemed from bondage to a stranger, no distinction may be made between a slave and a hired laborer (Lev. 25:40, 53).

Since I already pointed out that there is a distinction between indentured servitude (sell yourself) and real slavery (bought from someone else) I'll just quote myself here. Notice how you can buy slaves from the nations around you?

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly. Leviticus 25:44-46

And then here:
When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies. This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby. Deuteronomy 20:10-15​
You get slaves by capturing cities. So when you point out that foreigners who become indentured servants are to be treated like Jewish indentured servants, there are still slaves.

A master may chastise his slave to a reasonable extent (Ecclus. 33:26) but not wound him (Ex. 21:26–27).

Okay, but this is the extent:

Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result,but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property. Exodus 21:20-21

Can you imagine a beating that takes a few days to recover from? That's a bad beating in opinion.

There was no similar rule prevailing in neighboring countries (cf. I Kings 2:39–40). The *abduction of a person for sale into bondage is a capital offense (Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7).
Being a little progressive isn't good enough.

The book of Acts is a very different time to the time of Joshua and Jeremiah.

Now going back to Acts...you will note that they were on the move. Keep reading a bit further on.
What does being on the move have to do with anything? They still were happy to give everything they had so that no one was in need, what I contend to be an objective moral. When the Israelites were wondering the desert for 40 years they should have all piled the money together that they plundered from the Egyptians. Start there and then the whole communism thing becomes a lot more reasonable.

Just to make sure we are still on track, and this doesn't seem derailed, I want to point out that the argument made is that humans developed the objective moral that all slavery is wrong, and it didn't come from the Bible. If humans can come up with their own objective morals, then the argument that they all come from God is false. We haven't talked about that for a long time, just the argument about how bad the slavery was, so I didn't want anyone to forget what the whole point is.

So now, what you have to prove is that slavery was the best course of action according to the Bible, which would make it a subjective moral, and I need to prove that it is objective by showing that there is a superior morality to follow other than it.

Most people just make the argument that God works with what he has, and that getting the Israelites to give up slavery all together would make keeping the nation together too hard. But if there was a better way then, that would mean that we developed the objective moral all on our own.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
New South Wales, Australia
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This whole argument comes back to the very meaning of slavery.

Full time house wives and mothers could be considered slaves in perpetuity under its general definition (unless they decide to divorce or something).

Therefore the abolishment of a particular kind of slavery was what was objected to.

Husbands and wives and partners could be considered slaves being bonded to one another.

Deuteronomy 20:10-15New King James Version (NKJV)
10 “When you go near a city to fight against it, then proclaim an offer of peace to it. 11 And it shall be that if they accept your offer of peace, and open to you, then all the people who are found in it shall be placed under tribute to you, and serve you.

In other words these people had to give up their idolatory. Most were engaged in witchcraft and the like. They were being placed under the governing principles of the Israelites.

Acts... on the move. People were moving around as missionaries. Of course they were going to share everything to equip everyone to be on the move to spread the gospel. This was the birth of Christianity.

Joshua's group were doing the exact opposite. They were getting established in the promised land.

It would be more reasonable to say that people who objected to slavery were objecting to the treatment and lack of freedoms.

Exodus 21:20-21. Firstly, any beating was for correction only. They were not allowed to use an injured servant for work and had to allow them time to recover. Any kind of beating, if at all, resulted in the master's loss of the slave's ability to work. So therefore beating a slave resulted in their own loss. I do not believe a slave was punished to the degree you are insinuating. Just as police officers will use an amount of force reasonably necessary to arrest a person, that same principle would have applied here. Slaves did not work in chains or any restraints that I am aware of. If slaves ran away, it was because they were ill treated. The bible said to give them refuge and not return them back to their masters.

So when you are thinking of these slaves in perpetuity to the Israelites, might that have been a burden on the Israelites to protect those people from enduring slavery elsewhere which were not so kind?

Sorry I am not sure how to quote your posts in part as you have been doing mine.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I am not sure how to quote your posts in part as you have been doing mine.
Highlight what you want, and then a little black box pops up "+quote". Then when you go to add quotes, it's in the list.

10 “When you go near a city to fight against it, then proclaim an offer of peace to it. 11 And it shall be that if they accept your offer of peace, and open to you, then all the people who are found in it shall be placed under tribute to you, and serve you.
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1431698694306-1'); });
In other words these people had to give up their idolatory. Most were engaged in witchcraft and the like. They were being placed under the governing principles of the Israelites.

So if we use your translation of the Bible it becomes less clear because "under tribute" could mean different things. When researching which Bible I ought to look through, I found that the English Standard Version is supposedly the one that tries to do as close to a word to word translation as possible. Your version seems to go the vague route, I can't translate myself, so I don't know if that can get cleared up or not, but I would bet on mine, being the more specific one.

Secondly, you are making a huge assumption that they were practicing witchcraft. Unless you're defining witchcraft as any other religion besides Judaism. I suppose you could make that comparison to the idolatry part, that you claim, but witchcraft means something special aside from idolotry. But for both cases, you are again making an assumption unless you have some other citation that has something to do with the cities that are "at a distance".

Actually, if you keep reading from that chapter, God goes on to explain that they are to kill everything that breathes in the cities that are close so that they don't corrupt the Israelites with their idolatry, so it would seem that the safe assumption (without any other relevant information) would be that the far cities weren't practicing these things because they weren't a concern to God in that manner.

Firstly, any beating was for correction only. They were not allowed to use an injured servant for work and had to allow them time to recover. Any kind of beating, if at all, resulted in the master's loss of the slave's ability to work. So therefore beating a slave resulted in their own loss. I do not believe a slave was punished to the degree you are insinuating. Just as police officers will use an amount of force reasonably necessary to arrest a person, that same principle would have applied here. Slaves did not work in chains or any restraints that I am aware of.

So what if you got tired of smacking your slaves every day because they were lazy? What if you could give them just one savage beating, and then they would fear you enough to work hard all the time, and you wouldn't have to worry anymore? Sure you lose productivity for a couple days, but then they work harder all the time, for a long time. Even if that didn't work all the time, it seems to follow logic, so I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of it. So when you accuse me of "insinuating", you should recognize that people generally do whatever they can within the extent of the law. Look at marijuana, once it became legal, a lot more people went out and bought some. We have laws for a reason, and that's because people would do worse if we didn't have them. It would be an unnaturally rosy outlook to assume that people, in general, chose to be nicer and kinder than they absolutely have to be, because this just isn't found in society or history. Side note, police officers aren't really a good example considering all the things going on in the news right now. I'm not opening that can of worms though. As for chains or restraints, you are making another assumption. Unless you can find a Bible verse that explicitly states it was not allowed, I would bet on the worst out of humans.

Of course they were going to share everything to equip everyone to be on the move to spread the gospel.

Do you think that they shared everything in the desert after Egypt, or do you think that a lot of people came out of the desert richer than others? Does the history of the rich and poor tell you anything about the general nature of people? And even still, sharing everything makes everything work better. That's what the Apostles were doing, it isn't something special to moving around, sharing is always good. I guess that would be a whole other branch to the argument, and I don't want to get more side tracked. Point is, people gave away everything they had to help people because of their faith and were happy about it, no reason that the rich Israelites couldn't do the same.

It would be more reasonable to say that people who objected to slavery were objecting to the treatment and lack of freedoms.

This seemed a bit out of place. Are you saying this about my stance in general? Because that is my stance, and you seem to think it is okay to do those things. I believe corporal punishment is wrong, which I know can be controversial. I believe people ought to be paid a decent wage for a hard days work, and by decent I mean enough to support your family (i.e. minimum wage). But I also believe in freedom, don't you?

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for showing me that :)

So if we use your translation of the Bible it becomes less clear because "under tribute" could mean different things. When researching which Bible I ought to look through, I found that the English Standard Version is supposedly the one that tries to do as close to a word to word translation as possible. Your version seems to go the vague route, I can't translate myself, so I don't know if that can get cleared up or not, but I would bet on mine, being the more specific one. Secondly, you are making a huge assumption that they were practicing witchcraft. Unless you're defining witchcraft as any other religion besides Judaism. I suppose you could make that comparison to the idolatry part, that you claim, but witchcraft means something special aside from idolotry. But for both cases, you are again making an assumption unless you have some other citation that has something to do with the cities that are "at a distance".

On your first point, I'm thinking to use Strongs Concordance. So I will requote the scripture and lay out the concordance which has the hebrew translations. I'll do that on a separate reply. I'm an avid NKJ Bible reader myself for that very reason. I'll be honest in my research. I'm not sure if Strongs is online. I've got it in print.

Idol worship is very much in line with witchcraft. In fact it is the very essence of witchcraft.

Actually, if you keep reading from that chapter, God goes on to explain that they are to kill everything that breathes in the cities that are close so that they don't corrupt the Israelites with their idolatry, so it would seem that the safe assumption (without any other relevant information) would be that the far cities weren't practicing these things because they weren't a concern to God in that manner.

Idolatory to this day is quite a severe thing on any society. A lot people don't realise the spiritual forces at work behind it. So I wouldn't say it wasn't a concern to God. On the contrary, Idolatory was so powerful it could permeate into the Israelite society, as indeed it had when the tribes were out in the wilderness. When Moses was on the mountain receiving the ten commandments.

So what if you got tired of smacking your slaves every day because they were lazy? What if you could give them just one savage beating, and then they would fear you enough to work hard all the time, and you wouldn't have to worry anymore? Sure you lose productivity for a couple days, but then they work harder all the time, for a long time. Even if that didn't work all the time, it seems to follow logic, so I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of it. So when you accuse me of "insinuating", you should recognize that people generally do whatever they can within the extent of the law. Look at marijuana, once it became legal, a lot more people went out and bought some. We have laws for a reason, and that's because people would do worse if we didn't have them. It would be an unnaturally rosy outlook to assume that people, in general, chose to be nicer and kinder than they absolutely have to be, because this just isn't found in society or history. Side note, police officers aren't really a good example considering all the things going on in the news right now. I'm not opening that can of worms though. As for chains or restraints, you are making another assumption. Unless you can find a Bible verse that explicitly states it was not allowed, I would bet on the worst out of humans.

So the real question to ask here is what would prompt a master to chastise his slave. Would you agree that is a reasonable starting point. We would also have to do some historical research to find out if chains or restraints were indeed used. But once again, these people had no place to flee to.

Do you think that they shared everything in the desert after Egypt, or do you think that a lot of people came out of the desert richer than others? Does the history of the rich and poor tell you anything about the general nature of people? And even still, sharing everything makes everything work better. That's what the Apostles were doing, it isn't something special to moving around, sharing is always good. I guess that would be a whole other branch to the argument, and I don't want to get more side tracked. Point is, people gave away everything they had to help people because of their faith and were happy about it, no reason that the rich Israelites couldn't do the same.

They had nothing in the desert. God rained down mana for food. He cracked a rock to provide water. That was the scenario I put to you... no resources. I'm not aware at all that they had plundered the Egyptians. They were slaves in Egypt. Conditions of slavery were rather different in Egypt.

This seemed a bit out of place. Are you saying this about my stance in general? Because that is my stance, and you seem to think it is okay to do those things. I believe corporal punishment is wrong, which I know can be controversial. I believe people ought to be paid a decent wage for a hard days work, and by decent I mean enough to support your family (i.e. minimum wage). But I also believe in freedom, don't you?

Do you think we are free?... can you really do anything you want to in the world. Some countries might allow you to visit only as a tourist but not hold land. Other silly countries like mine let foreigners buy all our land so we can't afford it ourselves. If I went to certain countries I would be forced to submit to males and cover my face.

These days if you are not allowed to buy property in a foreign country you would have to rent to live there. In our time you pay money for use of the property. There was no money back then so all you could do was barter, and in that case, barter your services for food and shelter. It makes sense for the conditions of that time.

To sum up I think we could do some research on the Deuteronomy scripture and historical research on the treatment of slaves/servants.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

20:11 והיה֙ אם־של֣ום תֽענך֔ ופתח֖ה ל֑ך והי֞ה כל־הע֣ם הנמצא־ב֗ה יהי֥ו לך֛ למ֖ס ועבדֽוך׃

20:11 וְהָיָה֙ אִם־שָׁלֹ֣ום תַּֽעַנְךָ֔ וּפָתְחָ֖ה לָ֑ךְ וְהָיָ֞ה כָּל־הָעָ֣ם הַנִּמְצָא־בָ֗הּ יִהְי֥וּ לְךָ֛ לָמַ֖ס וַעֲבָדֽוּךָ׃

Masoretic Text

therein shall be tributaries h4522 מַס mac

KJV Translation Count — Total: 23x
The KJV translates Strongs H4522 in the following manner: tribute (12x), tributary (5x), levy (4x), discomfited (1x), taskmasters (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. gang or body of forced labourers, task-workers, labour band or gang, forced service, task-work, serfdom, tributary, tribute, levy, taskmasters, discomfited
    1. labour-band, labour-gang, slave gang

2. gang-overseers

3. forced service, serfdom, tribute, enforced payment
Strong’s Definitions H4549; properly, a burden (as causing to faint), i.e. a tax in the form of forced labor:—discomfited, levy, task(-master), tribute(-tary).

I also put in H4549 as you can see that the term under that number seems harsh.

The strongs for Deuternomony 20:11 is H4522 being Hebrew "mac".

So whilst it is clearly alluding to forced labour there is another kind which is the kind I think you are thinking of.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Idol worship is very much in line with witchcraft. In fact it is the very essence of witchcraft.
Okay, but you can have idol worship without having witchcraft, but you can't have witchcraft without idol worship. That's what I was saying, and I think we can agree on that. I mean you could say that the way we treat celebrities in America is idol worship, but it certainly isn't witchcraft. Witchcraft is the extra bad version of idol worship, and assuming that they were practicing it is a big assumption.

So I wouldn't say it wasn't a concern to God.
I didn't say idol worship wasn't a concern to God, I pointed out that he was letting these people live, and the having them kill other people. The ones that they were told to kill were killed because of the concern of idol worship. If the others are allowed to live, then idol worship wasn't practiced there.

But once again, these people had no place to flee to.
They could flee to their neighbor if they thought things would be nicer there. What if some slaves just liked their neighbor better? Then all of a sudden the original owner loses his property for no good reason.

I'm not aware at all that they had plundered the Egyptians.
And the Lord had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have what they asked. Thus they plundered the Egyptians. Exodus 12:36​
Now some folk had really rich masters, and some folk had modestly rich masters. So the gift God gave them in controlling the Egyptians, was not evenly distributed from the start. You already had income disparity the minute they set out from Egypt. So when you talk about the poor who were in debt and the poor who resorted to thievery, they had generational poverty just like we do today. If everyone started out with the same chances in life, then we could call people lazy or stupid if they run out of money, but that is not the case and never has been.

Do you think we are free?... can you really do anything you want to in the world. Some countries might allow you to visit only as a tourist but not hold land. Other silly countries like mine let foreigners buy all our land so we can't afford it ourselves. If I went to certain countries I would be forced to submit to males and cover my face.
I can't do anything I want in the world because some things are bad and people shouldn't be allowed to do them. There is no objective morality that everyone in the world agrees on and thus we need laws based on the best morality that we have developed. At the same time, some countries have laws that aren't based on morality but are more based on oppression. But you can be more free in some places than others, and more freedom is generally better than less freedom (to an extent). And some freedom is always better than no freedom.

These days if you are not allowed to buy property in a foreign country you would have to rent to live there. In our time you pay money for use of the property. There was no money back then so all you could do was barter, and in that case, barter your services for food and shelter. It makes sense for the conditions of that time.
But see, they did use currency. Did they also barter? Sure, but that is probably just another way to keep poor folk poor in my opinion.
The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less, than the half shekel, when you give the Lord's offering to make atonement for your lives. Exodus 30:15​
They used weights of silver and gold to have currency. Currency is the oldest form of written language that can be found in the world. Money has always been and always will be till the Earth is no more. I didn't bother explaining the absolute best route that the Israelites could have taken instead of slavery, because it just isn't necessary. Anything is better than slavery. Communism would have been a relatively simple matter to explain to the primitive people, as opposed to a more complex system involving taxes, social security, education, etc.

So whilst it is clearly alluding to forced labour there is another kind which is the kind I think you are thinking of.
I'm alluding to the fact that there were all sorts of slavery back then that the Israelites practiced because they hadn't developed the notion that owning a human being is bad and leads to exploitation. You pointed out that it ended up being that indentured servants were released and then found right back in service of their old master. When it got really bad someone did something, but doesn't this show you that the rich were not generally trying to be good people? I mean, the Bible is full of stories of terrible things that some Jews did. I don't pay them much notice because I have no reason to judge the veracity of God based on the actions of humans acting of their own accord, but thinking that they were generally good folk that followed the "spirit of the law", as it were, is kind of naive isn't it?

They were bad folk and that's why Moses had to come down with the 10 commandments. You have to keep people under control because without laws, not everyone has a conscience, and people will do bad things. And isn't that the general theme of the Bible? People are all bad and they need God to change them? The Jews didn't have God working in them in their daily lives like Christians do. It was all law and order for them. There's no reason to think that people after the flood were going to choose to be any better than the people before the flood until God came and told them what to do. People don't have this inherent view of what is right and wrong, they have to learn it. There isn't a crime that you can think of that someone hasn't done and then didn't feel guilty about it because they justified it and rationalized it in some way. I can say that we can have objective morals by proving it and arguing for it that some people can have incorrect morals, but you can't say that we all see morals on our own because God gave them to all of us. He gave them to his believers, and some of us developed them on our own. It doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, it just means that that one proof, that says that we all observe objective morals, isn't a proof at all.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, but you can have idol worship without having witchcraft, but you can't have witchcraft without idol worship. That's what I was saying, and I think we can agree on that. I mean you could say that the way we treat celebrities in America is idol worship, but it certainly isn't witchcraft. Witchcraft is the extra bad version of idol worship, and assuming that they were practicing it is a big assumption.

1 Samuel 15:22-23New King James Version (NKJV)
22 So Samuel said:

“Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to heed than the fat of rams.
23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft,
And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
He also has rejected you from being king.”

This is the point I was trying to make.... rebellion = witchcraft. Idol worship involved bowing down to pagan gods. Making something else your god other than your creator is in effect idolatory.

I didn't say idol worship wasn't a concern to God, I pointed out that he was letting these people live, and the having them kill other people. The ones that they were told to kill were killed because of the concern of idol worship. If the others are allowed to live, then idol worship wasn't practiced there.

That is true. Sorry if I misunderstood you there. I have no doubt that their practices would not have been accepted into the tribes of Israel without being chastised.

They could flee to their neighbor if they thought things would be nicer there. What if some slaves just liked their neighbor better? Then all of a sudden the original owner loses his property for no good reason.

Ah now we need to do some research on who treated slaves better... the Israelites or their neighbours? We could safely say the Israelites treated them much better than they were treated by the Egyptians as God Himself had admonished them to do.

And the Lord had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have what they asked. Thus they plundered the Egyptians. Exodus 12:36Now some folk had really rich masters, and some folk had modestly rich masters. So the gift God gave them in controlling the Egyptians, was not evenly distributed from the start. You already had income disparity the minute they set out from Egypt. So when you talk about the poor who were in debt and the poor who resorted to thievery, they had generational poverty just like we do today. If everyone started out with the same chances in life, then we could call people lazy or stupid if they run out of money, but that is not the case and never has been.

I can't do anything I want in the world because some things are bad and people shouldn't be allowed to do them. There is no objective morality that everyone in the world agrees on and thus we need laws based on the best morality that we have developed. At the same time, some countries have laws that aren't based on morality but are more based on oppression. But you can be more free in some places than others, and more freedom is generally better than less freedom (to an extent). And some freedom is always better than no freedom.

Would you say that absolute freedoms in our Western culture has resulted in us living in a better place? Do you recall there being a time when you didn't have to ensure your front door was locked. Or that it was quite safe to walk out at night. Knowing the effect that drugs have on people, would you say that those freedoms have resulted in the cost of higher insurance policies, and more policing as a result of this practice. How much further do you think society is going to deteriorate as a result of those freedoms?

But see, they did use currency. Did they also barter? Sure, but that is probably just another way to keep poor folk poor in my opinion.
The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less, than the half shekel, when you give the Lord's offering to make atonement for your lives. Exodus 30:15They used weights of silver and gold to have currency. Currency is the oldest form of written language that can be found in the world. Money has always been and always will be till the Earth is no more. I didn't bother explaining the absolute best route that the Israelites could have taken instead of slavery, because it just isn't necessary. Anything is better than slavery. Communism would have been a relatively simple matter to explain to the primitive people, as opposed to a more complex system involving taxes, social security, education, etc.

Upon reading the scriptures, in particular the Hebrew meaning, I'm really of the understanding that slavery is not the slavery that you and I are thinking of. It was the equivalent of today's working for a wage. Foreigners were probably more safer with the Israelites than anywhere else. If the bible forbids a slave being returned to their master, then they were all free to run away weren't they if their environment was oppressive?

I think historical research is needed here.

I'm alluding to the fact that there were all sorts of slavery back then that the Israelites practiced because they hadn't developed the notion that owning a human being is bad and leads to exploitation. You pointed out that it ended up being that indentured servants were released and then found right back in service of their old master. When it got really bad someone did something, but doesn't this show you that the rich were not generally trying to be good people? I mean, the Bible is full of stories of terrible things that some Jews did. I don't pay them much notice because I have no reason to judge the veracity of God based on the actions of humans acting of their own accord, but thinking that they were generally good folk that followed the "spirit of the law", as it were, is kind of naive isn't it?

I totally agree with you here. There are a number of occasions to be found in the old testament where God chastised His people. Most of them would have been for idolatory or oppressive environments which are not God's way.

The whole point of what is written in the bible is us needing the saviour Jesus Christ, because human beings are inherrently sinful in nature.

They were bad folk and that's why Moses had to come down with the 10 commandments. You have to keep people under control because without laws, not everyone has a conscience, and people will do bad things. And isn't that the general theme of the Bible? People are all bad and they need God to change them? The Jews didn't have God working in them in their daily lives like Christians do. It was all law and order for them. There's no reason to think that people after the flood were going to choose to be any better than the people before the flood until God came and told them what to do. People don't have this inherent view of what is right and wrong, they have to learn it. There isn't a crime that you can think of that someone hasn't done and then didn't feel guilty about it because they justified it and rationalized it in some way. I can say that we can have objective morals by proving it and arguing for it that some people can have incorrect morals, but you can't say that we all see morals on our own because God gave them to all of us. He gave them to his believers, and some of us developed them on our own. It doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, it just means that that one proof, that says that we all observe objective morals, isn't a proof at all.

I have no doubt at all that humans being humans, were no doubt chastised by God if they did do anything oppressive to others. And when God chastises we're talking famines and pestilences and the like.

Most laws of morality are based on parts of the ten commandments. In the study of law, objective criteria is based on "what a reasonable person would do". The subjective criteria is based on what the individual's understanding was of that particular situation. The subjective is often used as a defence for a certain number of crimes.

And guess what... our laws change with the times with societal changes... we have in our criminal process law that covers obscene language. You probably have something similar. Recent Court cases in certain states in our country now recognise the word "f..k" to be a frequented word in the community and therefore is no longer classified as obscene.

Doesn't it strike you that morals are changing over the years? Even in recent times eg. last 60 years its been accelerating.

If God doesn't exist, the based on our human inclination to sin, where do morals come from?

I honestly believe that God's morals are imprinted into our souls. Otherwise we really wouldn't have a problem at all with killing our neighbour. There is something within us that makes us think twice before pinching another person's car and taking it for a joy ride.

Food for thought.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If God doesn't exist, the based on our human inclination to sin, where do morals come from?
We do have an inclination to sin. But we have a bigger inclination to cooperate, and that comes from reason, and recently I learned a chemical in the brain called oxytocin.

Think about a caveman. He wants something that someone weaker has, he takes it, right? No morals considered.

So a group of cavemen who are weak get together and work as a team to overpower the one strong caveman. No morals considered. It is just a matter of strong vs. weak isn't it? A group is stronger than the individual. We accept that we are stronger working together, and that different people have different values and beliefs, so we reason ways to make compromises with each other so that we are all happy working together. Morality through the Bible advanced as well. It used to be all about getting rich on earth, and then it progressed to helping others to be rich in heaven. We didn't have these morals imprinted in us from the beginning, they had to be developed in us.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And the Lord had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have what they asked. Thus they plundered the Egyptians. Exodus 12:36Now some folk had really rich masters, and some folk had modestly rich masters. So the gift God gave them in controlling the Egyptians, was not evenly distributed from the start. You already had income disparity the minute they set out from Egypt. So when you talk about the poor who were in debt and the poor who resorted to thievery, they had generational poverty just like we do today. If everyone started out with the same chances in life, then we could call people lazy or stupid if they run out of money, but that is not the case and never has been.

The passover had just taken place. Reading further back it was the plague where the angel of death passed over and took all first born sons which included Pharoahs. This was of course after a number of warnings presented to Pharoah to let God's people go.

The Jews had nothing because they were slaves. For the amount of people involved in the exodus the plunder would have been to trade off for necessary supplies no doubt. Not so they could be rich.

If everyone did have the same chances in life you still woudn't call them lazy or stupid. I've heard of flourishing small businesses coming to an end because of changes in legislation preventing them from continuing business. You can hardly blame the poor person when something happens that is out of their control.

The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less, than the half shekel, when you give the Lord's offering to make atonement for your lives. Exodus 30:15They used weights of silver and gold to have currency. Currency is the oldest form of written language that can be found in the world. Money has always been and always will be till the Earth is no more. I didn't bother explaining the absolute best route that the Israelites could have taken instead of slavery, because it just isn't necessary. Anything is better than slavery. Communism would have been a relatively simple matter to explain to the primitive people, as opposed to a more complex system involving taxes, social security, education, etc.

I forgot to thank you for pointing out the currency system. Its interesting that the half shekel is mentioned for sacrifice. As far as I knew it was always a tithe of what a person earned. Malachi 3:8-10 Eg. I tenth of a grain crop was brought into the church. In Exodus it appears to be a payment for atonement. It sounded like a set levy whether someone was rich or poor. But offerings were definitely the 10% of earnings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We do have an inclination to sin. But we have a bigger inclination to cooperate, and that comes from reason, and recently I learned a chemical in the brain called oxytocin.

Think about a caveman. He wants something that someone weaker has, he takes it, right? No morals considered.

So a group of cavemen who are weak get together and work as a team to overpower the one strong caveman. No morals considered. It is just a matter of strong vs. weak isn't it? A group is stronger than the individual. We accept that we are stronger working together, and that different people have different values and beliefs, so we reason ways to make compromises with each other so that we are all happy working together. Morality through the Bible advanced as well. It used to be all about getting rich on earth, and then it progressed to helping others to be rich in heaven. We didn't have these morals imprinted in us from the beginning, they had to be developed in us.

This is resoundingly familiar to the revolutions, overthrowing the monarchy. I recalled people were worse off.

How can you develop morals...who first got them?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
This is resoundingly familiar to the revolutions, overthrowing the monarchy. I recalled people were worse off.

How can you develop morals...who first got them?

For a time perhaps people were worse off. I mean after a real revolution you have a lot of death and destruction to deal with. But do you think that a feudal system is better than democracy? Do you think that people should be subject to whatever kind of person inherits a throne next? Look at Rome. Sometimes they had a nice emperor, sometimes they had a total nutbag. Now if we get a nutbag, we can vote somebody else in. And we don't generally get total nutbags since we get to assess them first. Over time we developed ways to try to spread out wealth, which makes the most people better off than just letting it sit on a few people's vaults.

Who first got morals? I don't really know how to answer that question. What was the first moral? It probably came from the first person to have something stolen. They said to themselves, "hey, people shouldn't steal from me", knocked somebody over the head and took it back. Then they got to thinking, "we ought to make it so that people don't steal from each other so this doesn't happen anymore." But things got complicated after that.

What if you steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family? Some folk will say stealing is always bad no matter what. Some folk will say that it's reasonable if you have a serious need. So what it objectively, ingrained morality about that?

Same thing with killing. Some folk will say all killing is wrong, some will say war is different, some folk will say self defense is different, some folk will say defending someone you love is different, some folk will say defending your property is different, some folk will say defending your honor is different, etc... So is "don't kill" an objective, ingrained moral now? Or do people need to evaluate their morals and decide what they think is best? It's this evaluation that develops morals over time. Some things are generally progressive, like slavery. The US was the last country to outlaw slavery, but there's no going back. No one is going to argue that it's a good thing now. The death penalty is another one. The US is the last country in the western world to still practice it, and there's no going back. People aren't going to decide it's moral after eliminating it. It had to be developed over time. And while things are still argued about today, and there will always be something to argue about, we should always be trying to develop them so that we eliminate things that are bad and promote things that are good.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For a time perhaps people were worse off. I mean after a real revolution you have a lot of death and destruction to deal with. But do you think that a feudal system is better than democracy? Do you think that people should be subject to whatever kind of person inherits a throne next? Look at Rome. Sometimes they had a nice emperor, sometimes they had a total nutbag. Now if we get a nutbag, we can vote somebody else in. And we don't generally get total nutbags since we get to assess them first. Over time we developed ways to try to spread out wealth, which makes the most people better off than just letting it sit on a few people's vaults.

Who first got morals? I don't really know how to answer that question. What was the first moral? It probably came from the first person to have something stolen. They said to themselves, "hey, people shouldn't steal from me", knocked somebody over the head and took it back. Then they got to thinking, "we ought to make it so that people don't steal from each other so this doesn't happen anymore." But things got complicated after that.

What if you steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family? Some folk will say stealing is always bad no matter what. Some folk will say that it's reasonable if you have a serious need. So what it objectively, ingrained morality about that?

Same thing with killing. Some folk will say all killing is wrong, some will say war is different, some folk will say self defense is different, some folk will say defending someone you love is different, some folk will say defending your property is different, some folk will say defending your honor is different, etc... So is "don't kill" an objective, ingrained moral now? Or do people need to evaluate their morals and decide what they think is best? It's this evaluation that develops morals over time. Some things are generally progressive, like slavery. The US was the last country to outlaw slavery, but there's no going back. No one is going to argue that it's a good thing now. The death penalty is another one. The US is the last country in the western world to still practice it, and there's no going back. People aren't going to decide it's moral after eliminating it. It had to be developed over time. And while things are still argued about today, and there will always be something to argue about, we should always be trying to develop them so that we eliminate things that are bad and promote things that are good.

Something had occurred to me while I was reading through this that I haven't touched on as yet and that is free will that God gives us.

God handed down the ten commandments as a guideline if you will for living. The rest is up to us what we do whether we choose to follow it or not. I don't see how the first person could actually experience theft if they didn't know what theft was. Have you ever watched two babies playing together and one grabs a toy off the other, what happens to the other baby?... Who told them?...you discipline a baby with a light tap on the hand and they seem to know they've done something they shouldn't do...how do they know that?

This is why I believe that morals are deeply ingrained in our soul. It has to point to a creater of intelligent design... let alone the whole universe, the complexities of how we are made.

There is clearly no point in following only one guideline. For example necesary stealing. There would be no need to steal if people paid their tithes to the church so that the church can provide for the poor. Pretty much like how we pay taxes today for a welfare system.

Killing is useless no matter which way you look at it. If it is a war, the toll is a high price. Even if its in self defence, a life is lost.

I totall understand the necessity of war, especially if you are dealing with a crackpot who has a number of followers.

I'm not in any way saying the monarchy was the way to go. What I'm saying is that any system has its hardships and its good points.

The elite in our time has actually taken all the wealth. Its now off the charts.

Modern morals are actually declining God's intended morals but it was written that this would happen in the last days. Our Government systems support fornication, divorce, marriage equality (we're not quite there yet but getting close). These are things that God is against. We are now very far removed from His moral standing.

I can only surmise from reading the scriputures, including the ones you have shared, that the purpose of that segregation of foreigners was to uphold Jewish law (God's standard). As you may know the Jews had twelve tribes and I believe each tribe had their leaders and elders etc. like what you see in a church today. It was obviously a system that worked in that time. God gave the guidelines but did not interfere with free will.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
God handed down the ten commandments as a guideline if you will for living. The rest is up to us what we do whether we choose to follow it or not. I don't see how the first person could actually experience theft if they didn't know what theft was. Have you ever watched two babies playing together and one grabs a toy off the other, what happens to the other baby?... Who told them?...you discipline a baby with a light tap on the hand and they seem to know they've done something they shouldn't do...how do they know that?

This is why I believe that morals are deeply ingrained in our soul. It has to point to a creater of intelligent design... let alone the whole universe, the complexities of how we are made.
If the morals are already ingrained in our soul, why did they need to get written down as the 10 Commandments? People already knew what was right and what was wrong, so Moses could have just said, "do what you know is right".

If someone takes something from you, and you cry, are you acting morally? No, you just miss the thing you used to have.

If someone smacks you, and you cry, are you acknowledging that you violated a moral? No, you just feel physical pain.

When you slap a child for doing something wrong, you do it at the time they transgressed so that they associate physical pain with the action they just did. They don't have a deep sense of what they did was wrong, they just know their hand hurts. Look up Pavlov's dogs, if you haven't heard of them.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the morals are already ingrained in our soul, why did they need to get written down as the 10 Commandments?

God was putting His foot down about who was going to be a member of the tribes of Israel and who was going to be subject to the law. It doesn't in any way imply that these people didn't know the rules.

If someone takes something from you, and you cry, are you acting morally? No, you just miss the thing you used to have.

Oh no it goes way beyond that. Parallel that to adults...think of a family of a victim of crime. Why do you think they go to Court... to see justice done don't they? Its not about the lost toy its about feeling wronged. Someone has broken through your boundary your safety and you feel it acutely. No amount of time spent behind bars is going to bring back a lost loved one. For those who survive they have to experience the rigorous process of healing whether that be physical or mental. No amount of justice is going to lessen what they have to go through. I went through that myself. I was injured in a hit and run accident. All I could think of was the police catching that man to get him off our streets. He was highly enibriated, according to witnesses. I also suspect he was the cause of a fatal accident just up the road from where I got hit. The police chased him around Australia but he fled back to Denmark and they couldn't extradite him.

When you slap a child for doing something wrong, you do it at the time they transgressed so that they associate physical pain with the action they just did. They don't have a deep sense of what they did was wrong, they just know their hand hurts. Look up Pavlov's dogs, if you haven't heard of them.

I don't slap 6 month old babies. I don't believe you would either. I said "tap" with my finger when I see the baby is still tempted to go for the electricity plug. They know....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the morals are already ingrained in our soul, why did they need to get written down as the 10 Commandments?

Just wanted to add a bit more to this.

The tribes had their traditions well established. They knew for sure what was right and wrong.

Its always temptation that gets in the way of morals. Again coming back to that freedom of choice and the presence of evil in that choice.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Oh no it goes way beyond that. Parallel that to adults...think of a family of a victim of crime. Why do you think they go to Court... to see justice done don't they? Its not about the lost toy its about feeling wronged. Someone has broken through your boundary your safety and you feel it acutely.
There's a big difference between feeling that something was unfair because it happened to you, and knowing what is moral or immoral. Think about this. What if someone killed a pedophile? How many people are going to take pity and feel bad for his mother, and how many people are going to applaud the guy who murdered him? Morals aren't ingrained, or we would all agree on them.

The tribes had their traditions well established. They knew for sure what was right and wrong.
And they had their traditions established by developing them. They weren't inherent. Look to sociology, psychology, philosophy, and ethics. There is a long standing tradition of people trying to determine what the most moral thing is, learned behavior, etc. The fact that people disagree means that it isn't ingrained. Again, I defy you to show me one crime that someone hasn't done and not felt bad about it. If there's just one guy, then it isn't ingrained. And if we look at psychopaths who really don't understand right from wrong, we can see their brain chemistry is different than most folk. Therefore it is a biological, physiological process that determines right from wrong. God can still guide you by telling you what is better and what is worse, but he didn't come up with a bunch of rules and make everyone know them.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's a big difference between feeling that something was unfair because it happened to you, and knowing what is moral or immoral. Think about this. What if someone killed a pedophile? How many people are going to take pity and feel bad for his mother, and how many people are going to applaud the guy who murdered him?

How do you feel about it? Who is the good guy and who is the bad guy in that scenario?

Again, I defy you to show me one crime that someone hasn't done and not felt bad about it.

I keep reading this question over and over. Care to rephrase?

And if we look at psychopaths who really don't understand right from wrong, we can see their brain chemistry is different than most folk.

That's why its classed as sickness isn't it? Again its being measured against a moral standard.

God can still guide you by telling you what is better and what is worse, but he didn't come up with a bunch of rules and make everyone know them.

Ummm.... don't forget we believe that God created you, me and the whole universe so He did come up with the morals and He does make it known to us through a thing called our conscience.

And they had their traditions established by developing them. They weren't inherent. Look to sociology, psychology, philosophy, and ethics. There is a long standing tradition of people trying to determine what the most moral thing is, learned behavior, etc. The fact that people disagree means that it isn't ingrained. Again, I defy you to show me one crime that someone hasn't done and not felt bad about it. If there's just one guy, then it isn't ingrained. God can still guide you by telling you what is better and what is

Actually if you look carefully, you will see that morals are on a great decline.

This is as a result of rejection of God who instills the morals in our walk with Him.

Even when something is established, there has to be a starting point right?

Everything about God goes to first things. We are all born and we die. Where is the starting point? I view morality in the same way.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I keep reading this question over and over. Care to rephrase?
If morality is ingrained on our souls, then our conscience will make us feel bad about it right? If it doesn't what evidence is there that morality is ingrained on our souls? You can't just cite the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil as evidence. So if someone, somewhere, has done something, and not felt bad about it in the slightest, and has even justified it to himself and others, then that is not an objective moral. So try to think of a moral that someone has broken and then not felt bad about it. They would have to feel bad to prove that the moral ever existed in them. If they don't feel bad, then it wasn't ingrained in their soul.

Before you answer this, really think about what I said about psychopaths. Whatever crime you might think is a good example for you to post, it really, probably has been done by some psychopath and we don't really need to start looking up people that have done this crime or that crime and going over it here. Things don't need to get that dark.

Remember that a psychopath has no morals, no sense of right or wrong. And they have a different brain than the rest of us, so it would mean that the brain is where our morals are stored, and not an intangible soul. The very fact that a different brain creates a lack of morals proves that it is a biological process, and not a theistic one.

Ummm.... don't forget we believe that God created you, me and the whole universe so He did come up with the morals and He does make it known to us through a thing called our conscience.
Let me ask you this then, did God invent the automobile? Sure, he knows everything, so he knew how to build an automobile before he created the universe, but did he give that information to humans? Or did we do it with our own ingenuity? It is your opinion that there is some metaphysical thing called a "conscience". I believe it to be a set of learned behaviors that are as much a part of us as our memory of past events or knowledge of technical skills. That's why some folk have different morals than other folk.

Even when something is established, there has to be a starting point right?
The starting point, as I understand it, is a sense of justice and a feeling of empathy. That's what some folk have described as the basis that we built all of our morals on. But just those two feelings don't constitute the broad range of morals that we have decided upon today. They are the basis, and we have grown morals with them in mind. Just look at the evolution of man through written history. Have we not grown as a people from barbarism to civilization? Morals are the back bone of that progress.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If morality is ingrained on our souls, then our conscience will make us feel bad about it right? If it doesn't what evidence is there that morality is ingrained on our souls?

1 Timothy 4 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Great Apostasy

4 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,

This would appear to indicate that a person can initially sin in their innocence, probably not feel too good about it but then carry on. Each time they continue they feel less guilty about it hence, "having their own conscience seared with a hot iron". Note that these people in v1 departed from the faith.

Before you answer this, really think about what I said about psychopaths. Whatever crime you might think is a good example for you to post, it really, probably has been done by some psychopath and we don't really need to start looking up people that have done this crime or that crime and going over it here. Things don't need to get that dark.

A person has been attacked on the street just outside a pharmacy. Its outside of business hours and the victim is bleeding profusely, so they grab and brick and smash it through the pharmacy window to get the necessary bandages to stop the bleeding. Have they commited the crime of larceny (theft) or is this a well known established defence to the crime? Morals wise, I would think I would still feel a bit guilty at wrecking the pharmacy store.

Ivan Milat serial killer. I think he tried to plead insanity and got off for raping two of the women women but he's locked up in a maximum security facility serving a number of life sentences for the deaths of 7 backpackers. I think this man developed a taste for killing. Sorry I know this is a bit dark. Again this is a classic case of 1 Timothy 4.

Let me ask you this then, did God invent the automobile? Sure, he knows everything, so he knew how to build an automobile before he created the universe, but did he give that information to humans? Or did we do it with our own ingenuity? It is your opinion that there is some metaphysical thing called a "conscience". I believe it to be a set of learned behaviors that are as much a part of us as our memory of past events or knowledge of technical skills. That's why some folk have different morals than other folk.

Not sure why God would consider the creation of an automobile would be just as important as morals. But He did give us all the ability to be creative ourselves. He was giving us the opportunities to use and expand on our talents. In the book of Daniel it specifically states that in the last days knowledge would abound.

The starting point, as I understand it, is a sense of justice and a feeling of empathy. That's what some folk have described as the basis that we built all of our morals on. But just those two feelings don't constitute the broad range of morals that we have decided upon today. They are the basis, and we have grown morals with them in mind. Just look at the evolution of man through written history. Have we not grown as a people from barbarism to civilization? Morals are the back bone of that progress.

Now its your turn to think hard on this. Are we not seeing more barbaric crime today than say 100 years ago? Like I said people turning away from God is resulting in a major decline in morals. What was once frowned upon is now being accepted.

Single mums who were single mums as a result of multiple partners without marriage was frowned upon. Its not thought twice about today. Divorce was at one time frowned upon. Divorces here prior to about 1975 and derived from the English law required people to "air their dirty laundry" because there had to be a cause to be divorced. That got abolished by our Family Law Act no cause.

There is another obvious example but I won't mention it because I don't want to risk this thread being closed. I'm sure you know what that is.

What's next polygamy and inappropriate behavior with animals, the latter makes us all shudder I'm sure. But there will come a time when it will be pushed to be legalised, just as the other things preceding it.

This is a fair way to demonstrate to you the changing morals which are on the decline as against God's standards.

I was a bit disappointed that you didn't answer the question about the person murdering the pedophile.

Upvote 0