May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
This is absolutely nothing like servants in Old Testament times.
Its quite normal for a person to work for a wage. If I had a farm and there were people about me who were poverty stricken, I would provide a roof over their head, a nice place to sleep and food on the table in exchange for some help around the farm to keep it productive. Some people may call that slavery but I see it as a win/win.
That isn't what is described in the Bible. In your scenario those people could leave whenever they wanted to couldn't they? People were bought from other people. Cities were sacked and their inhabitants put into forced labor. Women children were sold by their fathers. Slaves were beaten for being bad. It may not have gotten as out of hand as slavery did in the US, but that doesn't make it anything like what you described here. There were rules about helping the poverty stricken such as leaving grain in the field for them to pick themselves. The poor are separate from slaves, and the distinction that Jews were to be treated differently than foreigners shows that there were conditions worse than being an indentured servant.
Showing that things could have been worse doesn't show that things were good.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
New South Wales, Australia
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That isn't what is described in the Bible. In your scenario those people could leave whenever they wanted to couldn't they? People were bought from other people. Cities were sacked and their inhabitants put into forced labor. Women children were sold by their fathers. Slaves were beaten for being bad. It may not have gotten as out of hand as slavery did in the US, but that doesn't make it anything like what you described here. There were rules about helping the poverty stricken such as leaving grain in the field for them to pick themselves. The poor are separate from slaves, and the distinction that Jews were to be treated differently than foreigners shows that there were conditions worse than being an indentured servant.
Showing that things could have been worse doesn't show that things were good.

Do you remember the industrial revolution in the UK when people had to steal food to eat. What happened to those people. They became convicts and were sent over here.

I'm imagining the situation was just as dire in those times. Kind of like being in a dinghy and having a bunch of people swamp you and pull you down with them.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Do you remember the industrial revolution in the UK when people had to steal food to eat. What happened to those people. They became convicts and were sent over here.
I'm imagining the situation was just as dire in those times. Kind of like being in a dinghy and having a bunch of people swamp you and pull you down with them.
What gives you the impression that there was rampant poverty amongst the Israelites? They robbed the Egyptians blind before they left. They wandered the desert for a while, and then they started attacking and taking stuff from the people in the promised land. So where does the idea come from that there wasn't enough to go around?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't have time to do the whole thing right now, but I will over time. Here are the quick easy to reference ones.
I did make one mistake, it wasn't Jesus who said it, but it is in the Bible. Does that make it less valid?
All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare of their slaves. 1 Timothy 6:1-2

I don't see anywhere in this passage the declaration, "Christians can own slaves." I see Paul urging Timothy to teach the Christians under his leadership to act as peaceful, respectful disciples of Christ no matter their circumstance. Believers in the Early Church were from widely varying walks of life. Some were slave owners, some were slaves, some were nobles, some merchants, and so on. In whatever position a believer found himself, he was to conduct himself in a manner that avoided giving any legitimate cause to unbelievers to speak ill of the Christian faith. Were Christian believers who were slaves to suddenly revolt, using their faith as justification, the ensuing public disorder would have quickly given Christians a very bad reputation. Paul, then, was not approving slavery here at all, but urging his fellow believers not to defame their faith by rebelling against their masters, to act respectfully, in peace and grace, as proper disciples of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 3:26-28
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:9-11
9 ...since you have put off the old man with his deeds,
10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,
11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

Here is the explicit teaching of the apostle Paul concerning slavery: In Christ there is equality. Why does Paul, then, urge his fellows believers who are slaves to remain in respectful submission to their masters? Because all Christians are called to love others with agape love. Paul explains:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

God's love, agape love, "does not seek its own," it "suffers long and is kind," it "bears all things" and "endures all things" because agape love is a self-sacrificing love. In light of this, Paul commands Timothy to teach Christians who are slaves to behave respectfully toward their masters, not in tacit approval of slavery, but in order that they might love in the self-sacrificing way Christ has loved them and in so doing commend their faith to the non-believer.

Now what you're saying, I believe, is how Israelites can only be indentured servants, but people of other races can be bought and sold and inherited as property, right? I don't see how race is an okay exception to begin with, but let's look at how you get yourself a permanent Israelite slave:
If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free. “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life. Exodus 21:2-6You see? All you have to do is give your Israelite indentured servant a wife, whom you can purchase, and then give her to your indentured servant. Then she and her children belong to you forever, and if you hold them hostage, you can encourage the original Hebrew servant to become your slave forever. So, here is the Bible describing how to breed Israelite slaves and to go beyond the whole "indentured servitude" argument.
Okay, well, first off any Hebrew servant marrying a woman given to him by his master would know about the restrictions involved. If he did marry, it would be knowing full well the decision he would have to make come his year of release from servitude. So, there is no unfairness in this that I can see. The marriage was not forced upon him and the restrictions upon the release of his wife and children would be no surprise. In light of these facts, it seems any servant accepting a wife from his master knew he was essentially consigning himself to servitude in perpetuity.

I wonder, too, why a servant's master would supply to him a wife? There was no obligation on the part of the master to do so. Marriage was not a compulsory thing for servants. Why, then, would such an arrangement come to pass? It seems that a wife would be supplied to the servant by his master out of sheer good will. But if this is the character of the relationship between the servant and his master, if the master was willing to take such generous steps to secure the well-being of his servant, it would be very likely that the servant would want to become his servant for life. So, rather than being manipulated or conned into remaining forever in servitude, the servant's choice to marry and remain with his master very likely arose out of his gratitude toward, and friendship with, his master. And this is suggested by what the servant declares: "I love my master..."

Thus your ugly distortion of this passage in Exodus dissolves.

Would you describe these things as objectively moral? Is there some reason that slavery of this kind or any kind needed to exist that God shouldn't have just abolished because it should be considered objectively moral that no human being should ever own another human being?

All manner of evil has been occurring on our planet almost from the first moment God put humans on it. It isn't just slavery God ought to abolish but murder, and rape, and theft, and gossip, and lying, and gluttony, and selfishness, and, well, you get the point, I'm sure. But in order to do this, God would either have to make puppets out of us all, unable to do anything but what God wanted, or He would have to destroy the lot of us and start over. Which would you prefer? Well, the decision isn't really up to you. God has promised that He will judge this world and forever abolish the wickedness of it and make a "new heaven and a new earth wherein dwells righteousness." It's just a matter of time.

And did what did they use to discover these things? Science. What would happen if they turned to religion to answer these questions? Nothing. That was the point. You pointing out that even Christians turn to science to explain things doesn't help your case. So when we talk about finding evidence of something, even Christians will turn to science to find proof, because they can't use the Bible to prove something empirically.

I mentioned Kepler, Pascal, Faraday and others to show that religious belief and science are not incompatible. And not only are they not incompatible but for many of these scientists their religious belief helped provoke their scientific endeavours. You have moved the goalposts in your remarks above in order to slip the import of my comments. Initially, you were suggesting that science and religion were mutually exclusive, but I gave you examples of scientists for whom the reverse was true. You wrote,

"Following religion does not lead to a better understanding of the world around you."

Now, you have abandoned that line and are arguing instead about science as a tool. Well, my comments weren't to the matter of which thing - religion or science - is the better tool for investigating the material universe because that wasn't, originally the assertion you had made.

What you don't seem able to comprehend is that it was because these men were turned toward religion, at least in part, that they were the sorts of scientists that they were. You won't find the empirical method spelled out point by point in the Bible, but you will encounter in it the God who gave us the capacity to reason to the empirical method. And it was this God of reason, and rationality, and order that prompted many of the first scientists to be scientists.

Now I can't understand how anything less than the proof that rocks exist is still somehow proof. Evidence isn't proof.

I have in past posts made a clear distinction between evidence and proof. Not even scientists, however, operate totally from the standard of absolute proof. Like a homicide detective, scientists must often accumulate evidence, and interpret it, and arrive at their conclusions deductively. And as I pointed out, frequently they get things wrong and have to abandon their theories and interpretations. I don't understand why, then, you are so fanatic about having incontrovertible proof - except, perhaps, that you think such an unreasonable standard helps your anti-theistic position. But you are requiring more even than scientists require of their own investigations.

I can't say things the way that I want to out of respect, but there is not good proof. If there was good proof then everyone would believe in God. Some folks wouldn't do what they are supposed to, but everyone would know he at least exists. There is always some doubt, so there is no proof.

God's goal isn't simply to garner our belief that He exists. He wants us to love and trust Him, to obey Him, and to worship Him as He deserves to be worshiped. Clearly, He thinks the way He has approached achieving these goals is the best way to do so. You don't agree. That's okay. You just keep camping on the "where's the proof?" hill until the day you see God face-to-face. But, then, having finally the proof you always demanded, it will be far too late for you to benefit from it.

1 Peter 1:6-9
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,
7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 receiving the end of your faith--the salvation of your souls.

Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

There is good evidence in support of a belief in God. We have touched upon some of this evidence in our discussion. You reject it all because it is not absolute proof, but if you did this as, say, a homicide detective you would never solve a case (and you'd likely get fired in a hurry, too). I believe God exists because I see clear evidence of Him in the nature of Creation; because of the testimony of the Bible, which I believe is the inspired Word of God; because reason and logic strongly indicate that He exists; and because I interact with Him every day. My faith does not, therefore, exist blindly. I have good cause to be a believer in God and a follower of Christ. But God has so ordained it that I cannot come to Him without the exercise of faith. He values our faith very highly and is determined that any who would know Him would exercise faith in Him in the process. You can submit to Him in this - or not. God makes no apologies for insisting that we trust Him without being able to see Him. But if you refuse to do things God's way, you may end up regretting your choice for all eternity.

Can we add someone's lies in a lab? No. But we can make a judgement about how much integrity a person has based on how many times we catch them lying, and to what degree they lie. It isn't terribly accurate, but it is a measurement that I will bet you have used at some point in your life. Have you ever uttered the words, out loud or in your head, "he has no integrity". Have you ever made that judgement call about someone? If you have, you measured how much lying vs. truth telling a person has done.

But you aren't measuring integrity itself, just the effect of a person's integrity (or lack thereof) upon their actions. Actual integrity is not accessible to empirical evaluation because it is an immaterial thing. As I said, such things cannot be weighed or tasted, or touched but they exist nonetheless.

I wrote,

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" does not always apply in every case. If you tell me the milk is in the fridge, and I look in the fridge and see it is not there, telling me that the absence of the milk from the fridge is not evidence that it is not in the fridge would be silly. But that is what you're trying to do with the matter of the missing transitional fossils in the geologic column!

To which you responded,

Stuff gets destroyed over time. You can't compare something that should exist fresh in the here and now (milk) with some fossil, somewhere in the world, buried some depth in the ground, under some amount of rock, that happened millions of years ago and left to be destroyed in any number of other ways.

You missed my point entirely. The freshness of the milk in my analogy was not it. I used the analogy of the missing milk to point out that the statement "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is not universally-applicable. Sometimes, the absence of a thing is evidence of its absence. How fresh the milk was had nothing whatever to do with this point.

We find fossils quite regularly in many places around the world. Many thousands of them have been unearthed, but the multi-millions of transitional fossils that should exist if the ToE is true have never appeared. Why? Why aren't the transitional fossils, which should absolutely saturate the geologic column, never found? We find other comparatively rare fossils, but never the myriad of transitional fossils predicted by the ToE. Why is this? Your appeal to the destruction of fossils over time is refuted by the many fossils that are found. If they can be found, the far more abundant transitional fossils should have been encountered in massive numbers long ago.

Well, I haven't time to write more at the moment. Honestly, you have established yourself in our discussion as an entrenched denier of the Christian worldview. You clearly are not interested in Christianity as a viable alternative to your atheism but only as a position to be attacked and defeated. With such deeply-set bias provoking your responses, I see little point in responding to them. There is no man so blind as he who refuses to see.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What gives you the impression that there was rampant poverty amongst the Israelites? They robbed the Egyptians blind before they left. They wandered the desert for a while, and then they started attacking and taking stuff from the people in the promised land. So where does the idea come from that there wasn't enough to go around?

Referring you back to why they became servants in the first place. You really need to go back in time and appreciate how their economy operated. If servants were few and far between, they wouldn't bother recognising them. Clearly, more often than not, people found themselves to be in situations that made them become servants.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If servants were few and far between, they wouldn't bother recognising them.
Why is that? If there were slaves that they had of foreigners, then wouldn't they want to distinguish the Israelite servants from them, even if there weren't many of them?

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why is that? If there were slaves that they had of foreigners, then wouldn't they want to distinguish the Israelite servants from them, even if there weren't many of them?

I think my point is, if there weren't many of them, slavery would have been a crime. It was because of the status of people as I seem to have to keep on repeating, that people needed food, shelter etc. or asylum and became servants because of the situations they found themselves in.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with Aiki on this. Your portrayal is really out of line to comparing it to what happened in the Americas and what indeed is happening now.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with Aiki on this. Your portrayal is really out of line to comparing it to what happened in the Americas and what indeed is happening now.
I already conceded that it wasn't as bad as America. What I am arguing is that slavery is never justified. And what you keep forgetting is that not all of the people were indentured servants. Foreigners could be bought with money as well.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There is good evidence in support of a belief in God. We have touched upon some of this evidence in our discussion. You reject it all because it is not absolute proof, but if you did this as, say, a homicide detective you would never solve a case (and you'd likely get fired in a hurry, too). I believe God exists because I see clear evidence of Him in the nature of Creation; because of the testimony of the Bible, which I believe is the inspired Word of God; because reason and logic strongly indicate that He exists; and because I interact with Him every day. My faith does not, therefore, exist blindly. I have good cause to be a believer in God and a follower of Christ. But God has so ordained it that I cannot come to Him without the exercise of faith. He values our faith very highly and is determined that any who would know Him would exercise faith in Him in the process. You can submit to Him in this - or not. God makes no apologies for insisting that we trust Him without being able to see Him. But if you refuse to do things God's way, you may end up regretting your choice for all eternity.
You're finally talking about the answer to my question. Almost. You seem to think that the evidence is overwhelming because of your clear bias towards your views. And I don't mean Christianity. You have proof for that that I am not privy to, and therefore I won't deny your personal proof ever. But you are the only one who gets that proof, I don't get proof like that until I believe already, and you have to admit that makes a big whole in the case. But, for example, you reject evolution because there isn't enough physical evidence for you, and then scold me for wondering the same thing about God.
But here's the thing. I never asked you to convert me or show me how good the evidence is. I asked, "Why no proof?". I actually assumed there was some verse in the Bible I never heard of that talks about some lesson we're supposed to learn by struggling with faith, or perhaps it offers some insight to true intentions, or something. But when I dismiss things in advance by stating there is always doubt, you demand that I explain my doubts so that you can refute them. So we go back and forth for a week, making me write a 2-page paper every day, when neither one of us is going to change our views on anything, because we're both stubborn, but I'm the bad guy because you think I'm wrong, and I'm just wondering why you can't see that other things might be reasonably possible from some one else's viewpoint.
And sure, God doesn't owe me explanations for anything he wants to do, if he's really there. But he explains some things, so why can't I ask? So I'll ask just one more time, and maybe there's an answer and maybe there isn't, "why no proof?".

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I already conceded that it wasn't as bad as America. What I am arguing is that slavery is never justified. And what you keep forgetting is that not all of the people were indentured servants. Foreigners could be bought with money as well.

Nicholas you are the president of your own country. You have no welfare system and there is no currency. Everyone basically lives off the land and barters what they have. You have no resources to house prisoners. You can only put to death those who engaged in heinous crimes. There are people living within their means. They have a roof over their head, food on the table. They till their own lands.

Now in your midst you have a number of people who are seeking asylum from foreign lands, people who are thieving from those living within their means to provide themselves with food and people who have taken so much in their barter on loan, they are unable to repay their debt.

I am your law drafter. Please advise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Nicholas you are the president of your own country. You have no welfare system and there is no currency. Everyone basically lives off the land and barters what they have. You have no resources to house prisoners. You can only put to death those who engaged in heinous crimes. There are people living within their means. They have a roof over their head, food on the table. They till their own lands.

Now in your midst you have a number of people who are seeking asylum from foreign lands, people who are thieving from those living within their means to provide themselves with food and people who have taken so much in their barter on loan, they are unable to repay their debt.

I am your law drafter. Please advise.
Communism. It was already a theocracy, why not?

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're finally talking about the answer to my question. I asked, "Why no proof?". I actually assumed there was some verse in the Bible I never heard of that talks about some lesson we're supposed to learn by struggling with faith, or perhaps it offers some insight to true intentions, or something.

Romans 1:18-20New King James Version (NKJV)
God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

OK so you're going for the communistic rule?

So I guess that means that foreign asylum seekers, debt payers and criminals get to freeload off the people who till their own lands. You are planning to impose a levy of their resources so these other people can live and survive?

Otherwise I think you need to expand on how you propose to achieve communism without any resources.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

So I guess that means that foreign asylum seekers, debt payers and criminals get to freeload off the people who till their own lands. You are planning to impose a levy of their resources so these other people can live and survive?

Otherwise I think you need to expand on how you propose to achieve communism without any resources.
Communism means everybody works, it doesn't mean a giant welfare state that people mooch off of. All the goods that the people collect through farming, hunting, gathering, etc., are gathered up by the church and dispensed equally throughout their group. Not working without a serious disability would become a crime, so those resources of land being owned and livestock being owned stop mattering. The church owns those resources, and puts all the people to work on them.

In the real world Communism doesn't end up working out so well because of corruption in the central body that dispenses the goods to the people. But since it is a theocracy it should have, in theory, been incorruptible. Either way, it is a better solution than slavery.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Romans 1:18-20New King James Version (NKJV)
God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
I may be reading that wrong, but it sounds like the proof is supposed to be obvious, and I am bad for denying it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You're finally talking about the answer to my question. Almost. You seem to think that the evidence is overwhelming because of your clear bias towards your views. And I don't mean Christianity. You have proof for that that I am not privy to, and therefore I won't deny your personal proof ever. But you are the only one who gets that proof, I don't get proof like that until I believe already, and you have to admit that makes a big whole in the case. But, for example, you reject evolution because there isn't enough physical evidence for you, and then scold me for wondering the same thing about God.

Yes, I have a bias toward my position on God and the Christian faith. I am a Christian, after all, so why wouldn't I? I think that bias is justified and have shown you that your criticisms of my belief and faith are not as warranted as you'd like to make them out to be. You have also shown repeatedly that your views on the Christian faith are badly skewed or outright mistaken. Of the two of us, then, my bias is the only one that has been shown to have a reasonable basis.

I'm not sure what you mean by your statement: "And I don't mean Christianity." Are you suggesting my views and those of the Christian faith are divergent? If so, I'd like to know how.

The fact that you must believe before you receive is not a "hole" in the case for the Christian faith, but the fundamental basis upon which one must walk with God. But such a dynamic is not unique to Christianity, nor does God require that we walk with Him by faith in a vacuum of good reason to do so.

I would also point out to you that personal experience was not the only basis upon which I ground my faith in God and Christ.

I don't reject the ToE solely because there isn't enough physical evidence for it. I offered several reasons for why the theory is false. The thing is, though, that your objection about physical evidence cuts both ways. If I can't object to the ToE being false on the basis of a lack of physical evidence, then you can't make that same objection about my belief in God.

But here's the thing. I never asked you to convert me or show me how good the evidence is. I asked, "Why no proof?". I actually assumed there was some verse in the Bible I never heard of that talks about some lesson we're supposed to learn by struggling with faith, or perhaps it offers some insight to true intentions, or something. But when I dismiss things in advance by stating there is always doubt, you demand that I explain my doubts so that you can refute them. So we go back and forth for a week, making me write a 2-page paper every day, when neither one of us is going to change our views on anything, because we're both stubborn, but I'm the bad guy because you think I'm wrong, and I'm just wondering why you can't see that other things might be reasonably possible from some one else's viewpoint.

You came to the "Exploring Christianity" forum of this website and made a number of criticisms of the faith. If you are going to make such criticisms, why shouldn't you be expected to defend them? We didn't seek you out, you came here. We didn't challenge your atheism until you came here and challenged Christianity. I don't see, then, that we are in any way out of line in doing so. No one has called you a bad guy, but we aren't going to stand idly by while you make criticisms and challenges to our faith. And, from what you've written so far, you don't have a careful and well-reasoned basis for your anti-theism. So, no, I can't see that it is "reasonably possible" for you to hold to it. That isn't bull-headed bias on my part, but a weakness on yours.

And sure, God doesn't owe me explanations for anything he wants to do, if he's really there. But he explains some things, so why can't I ask? So I'll ask just one more time, and maybe there's an answer and maybe there isn't, "why no proof?".

Asked and answered. Refusing to accept the answers is not the same as showing there haven't been any. You have tried to deflect what answers you've been given by going down rabbit-trails about slavery in the Bible, and genocide, and such like but the obvious fact is you simply don't want to acknowledge that there is plenty of evidence for a belief in God. The problem, it seems very clear to me, is that you want a particular kind of proof and if you can't get it, well, then, the whole of Christianity is bogus. But to any rational person, this kind of reasoning is patently false. The proper question to ask is not, "Does this evidence suit me?" but rather "Does this evidence succeed as evidence?"

As I have said now a couple of times, the sort of face-to-face proof you demand is coming, but when it arrives, it will be too late to recant your position on God.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I would also point out to you that personal experience was not the only basis upon which I ground my faith in God and Christ.
I know, I didn't say that. That's why I simply called it a hole, and not the basis for your faith. But if you're explaining all the reasons you believe, then that doesn't do me any good.

If I can't object to the ToE being false on the basis of a lack of physical evidence, then you can't make that same objection about my belief in God.
You keep missing my point. So I'll restate your statement with just two things flipped. If I can't object to the existence of God on the basis of a lack of physical evidence, then you can't make that same objection about my belief that evolution is possible.

You came to the "Exploring Christianity" forum of this website and made a number of criticisms of the faith. If you are going to make such criticisms, why shouldn't you be expected to defend them?
The number of criticisms I had were just that there is always some level of doubt in all of them. I didn't say how much. I didn't say they were patently false. I just said there was some level of doubt. Did I not defend them to the point that there is some level of doubt, or did you prove beyond any doubt whatsoever that God is real?

The fact that you must believe before you receive is not a "hole" in the case for the Christian faith, but the fundamental basis upon which one must walk with God.
Exactly! Why? Why is the fundamental basis faith? If there's good enough evidence, then why is it called faith, and not reason? Why, is what I'm asking, I'm not calling you stupid for doing so.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Communism means everybody works, it doesn't mean a giant welfare state that people mooch off of. All the goods that the people collect through farming, hunting, gathering, etc., are gathered up by the church and dispensed equally throughout their group. Not working without a serious disability would become a crime, so those resources of land being owned and livestock being owned stop mattering. The church owns those resources, and puts all the people to work on them.

In the real world Communism doesn't end up working out so well because of corruption in the central body that dispenses the goods to the people. But since it is a theocracy it should have, in theory, been incorruptible. Either way, it is a better solution than slavery.

And as I said before in order to achieve that you will have to strip owners of property of their rights... so therefore no one gets to own property. If communism isn't slavery I'd like to know what is. The whole point of the six year service was for people to build up their own resources and become independent again.

And you can't rely on the church to run things?

Anyway here goes the policy in accordance with what little you have given me.

As of this day, all people who hold lands are required to turn them over to the church. The church will then equally distribute resources to all people, including those who have squandered their money and left themselves in debt and those who have committed theft.

Everyone will be required to work all the days of their life in exchange for food and shelter including the elderly and children.

How do you propose to handle the ensuing riots. I must advise you as your legal adviser in view of these people recently experiencing slavery in Egypt you run the risk of inviting a coup.

I think you need to work on this a bit more.

I'm challenging you here to come up with a better system than the system of servanthood as it existed.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

And as I said before in order to achieve that you will have to strip owners of property of their rights... so therefore no one gets to own property. If communism isn't slavery I'd like to know what is. The whole point of the six year service was for people to build up their own resources and become independent again.

And you can't rely on the church to run things?

Anyway here goes the policy in accordance with what little you have given me.

As of this day, all people who hold lands are required to turn them over to the church. The church will then equally distribute resources to all people, including those who have squandered their money and left themselves in debt and those who have committed theft.

Everyone will be required to work all the days of their life in exchange for food and shelter including the elderly and children.

How do you propose to handle the ensuing riots. I must advise you as your legal adviser in view of these people recently experiencing slavery in Egypt you run the risk of inviting a coup.

I think you need to work on this a bit more.

I'm challenging you here to come up with a better system than the system of servanthood as it existed.

See now you keep saying "servant" but they weren't all servants, were they? I can't believe I have to argue against slavery, but here goes...

I was thinking of something more like this:
All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Acts 2:44-45
that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. Acts 4:34-35

And since we're talking about God laying down his law for the people, it would be enforced by his wrath. They don't have riots in China, Russia, or even North Korea and all they have is a military to enforce it. It may seem unfair at first, but I doubt that the first rich folk of the Jews straight out of Egypt all earned their money honestly. Also doesn't seem very likely that all the poor people "squandered" their money either. Doesn't seem as though it's fair that some folk started out poor to begin with. Seems as though it worked out well in the New Testament. And it certainly doesn't sound like slavery to me. Seems more like people knew what was fair and what wasn't.

As for elderly people and children working, do you think that they didn't? I mean, people died when they were 50, and worked right up till that day. And children spent most of their time doing chores once they were old enough. There was a lot of work that needed doing. It isn't like they were working in sweatshops, because they didn't produce those types of goods. They did work on farms because it was an agricultural society.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See now you keep saying "servant" but they weren't all servants, were they? I can't believe I have to argue against slavery, but here goes...

I was thinking of something more like this:
All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Acts 2:44-45
that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. Acts 4:34-35

And since we're talking about God laying down his law for the people, it would be enforced by his wrath. They don't have riots in China, Russia, or even North Korea and all they have is a military to enforce it. It may seem unfair at first, but I doubt that the first rich folk of the Jews straight out of Egypt all earned their money honestly. Also doesn't seem very likely that all the poor people "squandered" their money either. Doesn't seem as though it's fair that some folk started out poor to begin with. Seems as though it worked out well in the New Testament. And it certainly doesn't sound like slavery to me. Seems more like people knew what was fair and what wasn't.

As for elderly people and children working, do you think that they didn't? I mean, people died when they were 50, and worked right up till that day. And children spent most of their time doing chores once they were old enough. There was a lot of work that needed doing. It isn't like they were working in sweatshops, because they didn't produce those types of goods. They did work on farms because it was an agricultural society.

For the sake of adopting the word "slave" copied and pasted here:

TREATMENT OF SLAVES

In the case of a pauper who sells himself into slavery or a man who is redeemed from bondage to a stranger, no distinction may be made between a slave and a hired laborer (Lev. 25:40, 53). A master may not rule ruthlessly over these slaves (Lev. 25:43, 46, 53) nor ill-treat them (Deut. 23:17); Ben Sira adds: "If thou treat him ill and he proceeds to run away, in what way shalt thou find him?" (Ecclus. 33:31). A master may chastise his slave to a reasonable extent (Ecclus. 33:26) but not wound him (Ex. 21:26–27). The workload of a slave should never exceed his physical strength (Ecclus. 33:28–29). A fugitive slave must not be turned over to his master but given refuge (Deut. 23:16). There was no similar rule prevailing in neighboring countries (cf. I Kings 2:39–40). The *abduction of a person for sale into bondage is a capital offense (Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7). In general, "thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt" (Deut. 15:15), and that you are now the slaves of God Who redeemed you from Egypt (Lev. 25:55).

IMPLEMENTATION OF SLAVERY LAWS

From a report in Jeremiah (34:8–16) it would appear that the laws relating to the release of Hebrew slaves after six years' service were not implemented in practice: King Zedekiah had to make a "covenant" with the people that every man should let his slaves go free "at the end of seven years"; but hardly had the people released their slaves than they turned round and brought them back into subjection. In retribution for the failure to grant liberty to slaves, God would proclaim liberty "unto the sword, unto the pestilence, and unto the famine"; "and I will make you a horror unto all the kingdoms of the earth" (Jer. 34:17). According to Ezra (2:64–65) and Nehemiah (7:67), it would appear that in addition to the 42,360 people returning from Babylonia there were 7,337 slaves, male and female, and another 245 (or 200) musicians.

You will note that God was strict on the treatment of slaves.

The book of Acts is a very different time to the time of Joshua and Jeremiah.

Now going back to Acts...you will note that they were on the move. Keep reading a bit further on.

Upvote 0