Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
evil has no independent existence of its own. there is not a thing called evil, aside from when good is misused. so God created evil in the sense that He created good creatures who do evil things, by misusing what is in them that is good.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why did God allow good to become corrupt/absent (and therefore evil)?

good by definition must be free, it cannot be forced or else it is not free. to be truly free means to have a choice. if not, one is not free, and God is therefore not good.

same with love.

Upvote 0

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
Massachusetts, New England
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
good by definition must be free, it cannot be forced or else it is not free. to be truly free means to have a choice. if not, one is not free, and God is therefore not good.

same with love.

I'm assuming you mean that to be good in some moral sense one must have freedom (after all, all of creation is inherently good, but it is not all free - only persons are - and therefore not all of creation is able to participate in goodness in the way human beings and angels are). In any case, I don't think our being free or not indicates whether God is good or not. I don't think it would have been evil for God to create a universe without persons.
Rather, I'd say because God does in fact will a universe in which there are creatures which can freely choose to be good, the choice of evil must also be a possibility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rather, I'd say because God does in fact will a universe in which there are creatures which can freely choose to be good, the choice of evil must also be a possibility.

yeah, that is a better way of saying it. because He is good and because He is love, when He created us in His image, He created us free (that is part of being in His image we have by nature).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 45:7 KJV

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

right, but remember as Christians, we look at the OT through the lens of the New. God only creates good things, but those things can become evil. God created Hitler an innocent baby, but through misuse and by God's allowance, Hitler became a mass murderer. but at his core, Hilter is still in the image of the good God who made him.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 45:7 KJV

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

I think St Basil wrote regarding this passage. He (or who ever it was) says that the word translated as "create" has the meaning in the sense of a builder constructing something else out of something, so God takes evil and uses it to make something good.
Indeed the saints of the Church often suffered through great evil, earning many crowns through their perseverance and patience.

If I have the time I will try and find where this passage is explained and by whom as I'm not 100% sure it was St Basil, plus I would rather give his words rather than my dim recollection.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
plus, to a Semitic mind (of which the Prophet Isaiah was one), everything that happens, good or evil, happens from the hand of God somehow. nowadays we have the clarity that God does not create evil in of itself, but by His hand allows and even uses evil for the greater good, and that greater good is often something that only He can see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums