Reality
✟8,141.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Why does Islam exist? Why do any religions exist besides Christianity?

The existence of any religion is explained in it's origins. For Islam it is Muhammad's story that spawned the religion, for Scientology it is found in the imagination of L. Ron Hubbard, Mormonism; Joseph Smith and on and on and on and you get the picture. Man is free to do what man wants, included in that is worshiping other gods.

**Edit - Why do you think that the existence of Christianity (true or not) would mean the end of all other religions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is belief in Jesus among the criteria for salvation?

Jesus is the 'ticket' to salvation, and there are no free passes (and no other entrances). :preach:

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Why does Islam exist? Why do any religions exist besides Christianity?

Because God scattered the nations at the Tower of Babel. Different languages, different cultures, different traditions that resulted from a disunited populace lead to different understandings of God, or even differing ideas whether or not God even exists.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Your responses seem to be a bit flippant,
That wasn't my intent. If I have caused offence, I apologise.

but we can only respond to God's offer of Salvation if God's grace enables us, but believing is also a choice, so Salvation does involve our own will and our cooperation with God's grace. If you want to respond to God's grace in this manner, you would find a Church--preferably Catholic--and become Baptised.
Why is baptism necessary? I thought it was a choice :scratch:

Besides, I think I was baptised - as a baby, though, not through my own choice. Does that count?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm sorry but that was an extremely rude response. There is no need to have a smart mouth, this is just a discussion.
If I have offended, I apologise, that wasn't my intent. Was any part of what I said incorrect?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Two choices many paths going in oppsite directions.
OK. I'm not here to quibble minutiae. Nevertheless, my point stands: there are many religions, all of which assert to be the The Truth, and according to you, God not only wants us to pick the right religion, he point-blank refuses to show us which one is right. Seems odd, is all.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because God scattered the nations at the Tower of Babel. Different languages, different cultures, different traditions that resulted from a disunited populace lead to different understandings of God, or even differing ideas whether or not God even exists.
Since this scattering was directly caused by God, doesn't that mean the resulting religions of the world, and the subsequent damnation that befalls we heathens, is God's fault? After all, according to what you say, if he didn't cause the scattering, we'd have no other religions but Christianity.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Jesus is the 'ticket' to salvation, and there are no free passes (and no other entrances). :preach:
Right, but why not? Belief isn't a choice - I can't simply choose to believe the Earth is flat, or that Jupiter has miniature humans living on its solid core, or that Madam Curie was a time-traveller from the future. Why would belief be the criteria for salvation? Why not, say, "being good to the best of your ability"?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The existence of any religion is explained in it's origins. For Islam it is Muhammad's story that spawned the religion, for Scientology it is found in the imagination of L. Ron Hubbard, Mormonism; Joseph Smith and on and on and on and you get the picture. Man is free to do what man wants, included in that is worshiping other gods.

**Edit - Why do you think that the existence of Christianity (true or not) would mean the end of all other religions?
I'm wondering why God would allow other religions to flourish, damning those who happen to be born in those locations. Being born in Saudi Arabia basically means you're going to Hell, simply because it's so unlikely you'll convert to Christianity. Being born in the Bible Belt of the USA basically means you're going to Heaven, as you're more likely to be raised in a Christian household.

So I find it odd that God would allow this sort of thing to go one, rather than simply giving Muhammed an aneurysm and keeping the Middle-East as Christian as the modern USA, thus saving literally billions of souls.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wiccan_Child said:
That wasn't my intent. If I have caused offence, I apologise.

Why is baptism necessary? I thought it was a choice :scratch:

Besides, I think I was baptised - as a baby, though, not through my own choice. Does that count?

If you were Baptised with water in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, it does indeed count. Do you know what Church baptised you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wiccan_Child said:
I'm wondering why God would allow other religions to flourish, damning those who happen to be born in those locations. Being born in Saudi Arabia basically means you're going to Hell, simply because it's so unlikely you'll convert to Christianity. Being born in the Bible Belt of the USA basically means you're going to Heaven, as you're more likely to be raised in a Christian household.

So I find it odd that God would allow this sort of thing to go one, rather than simply giving Muhammed an aneurysm and keeping the Middle-East as Christian as the modern USA, thus saving literally billions of souls.

Listen, being born into another religion does not necessarily mean being damned. According to the Catholic faith, if someone in another religion is culturally incapable of accepting Christ through no fault of their own, then they are judged according to their life, heart, and deeds.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If you were Baptised with water in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, it does indeed count. Do you know what Church baptised you?
Protestant or Anglican or something like that.

Listen, being born into another religion does not necessarily mean being damned. According to the Catholic faith, if someone in another religion is culturally incapable of accepting Christ through no fault of their own, then they are judged according to their life, heart, and deeds.
Interesting. How does this fit into John 14:6?

So, why did the Church send missionaries? If you don't introduce Christianity to a region, then people are judging according to their life, heart and deeds, rather than their religious convictions. That seems preferable, and more soul-saving, than converting some of the population and damning the rest.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wiccan_Child said:
Protestant or Anglican or something like that.

Interesting. How does this fit into John 14:6?

So, why did the Church send missionaries? If you don't introduce Christianity to a region, then people are judging according to their life, heart and deeds, rather than their religious convictions. That seems preferable, and more soul-saving, than converting some of the population and damning the rest.

Jesus Christ is the Way. Life in Him is life in the fullest sense. It is not just assent to a belief but a response and a living of the Sacramental life. I think you might like the Sacramental life, especially the Holy Eucharist. Try attending Mass a few times at a Catholic Church.

You know, only God can judge the heart of a person, and God is good. If a missionary comes to an island and some inhabitants cannot accept Christ through no fault of their own, they are not necessarily damned. The Church calls this invincible ignorance.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Jesus Christ is the Way. Life in Him is life in the fullest sense. It is not just assent to a belief but a response and a living of the Sacramental life. I think you might like the Sacramental life, especially the Holy Eucharist. Try attending Mass a few times at a Catholic Church.
My partner is Catholic (albeit not the most fervent believer), I've been to Mass a few times, though I've never had the Eucharist. In any case, what's the point if I don't even believe in God?

You know, only God can judge the heart of a person, and God is good. If a missionary comes to an island and some inhabitants cannot accept Christ through no fault of their own, they are not necessarily damned. The Church calls this invincible ignorance.
Still, if the missionary never came to the island at all, they can only be judged by their life and heart, not their religious beliefs. At some point, this 'invincible ignorance' doesn't protect them any more, and they're judged by some other standard - presumably, their Christian-ness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wiccan_Child said:
My partner is Catholic (albeit not the most fervent believer), I've been to Mass a few times, though I've never had the Eucharist. In any case, what's the point if I don't even believe in God?

Still, if the missionary never came to the island at all, they can only be judged by their life and heart, not their religious beliefs. At some point, this 'invincible ignorance' doesn't protect them any more, and they're judged by some other standard - presumably, their Christian-ness.

I hope you will consider that God is a reality, and that reality is expressed through Jesus Christ. Perhaps you will one day come to believe.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I hope you will consider that God is a reality, and that reality is expressed through Jesus Christ. Perhaps you will one day come to believe.
Perhaps. I am a scientist, I believe what can be demonstrated through logic, reason, and empirical evidence. Given the focus that faith has in religion, that may be an insurmountable obstetrical.

Is there a reason you didn't respond to the missionary thing?

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wiccan_Child said:
Perhaps. I am a scientist, I believe what can be demonstrated through logic, reason, and empirical evidence. Given the focus that faith has in religion, that may be an insurmountable obstetrical.

Matters of faith are not restricted to the empirical methods of science. It is a matter of the heart.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Since this scattering was directly caused by God, doesn't that mean the resulting religions of the world, and the subsequent damnation that befalls we heathens, is God's fault? After all, according to what you say, if he didn't cause the scattering, we'd have no other religions but Christianity.

It is important to note that God is the one that is responsible for the scattering, and he did it to prevent the drowning of the individual into a corporate mindset of group-think, as if the technological advantage of such a mindset might be able to allow us to build a stairway to heaven.

As such, heathens and Christians and Muslims and Jews and atheist alike come to God on their own terms, and are judged accordingly. Christianity is the good news that Jesus conquered death, and thereby offers assurance to anyone who hears the good news that they no longer need to live in fear of this eternal death and damnation. We have been redeemed, as a free gift from God.

Be that as it may, God's judgement is fair. He does not judge anyone on the basis of information that they did not have access to, but on the basis of the information that they do have access to.

After the scattering of Babel, he created a special nation to be a light unto the nations, and gave his only begotten son to that nation, to light the way. We have been commissioned to be that light to the scattered nations, and only when the good news that Christ has conquered death reaches the far corners of the globe, will the world be judged.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
hello Wiccan_Child you seems to be a very intellectual person, i got the faith by reasoning and i have made a video about this reasoning God is love, perfect and right - YouTube
i hope this will help you to find the truth :)
The first slide in the video states that, "[w]e have to have free will, otherwise we're robots". The simple response to that is... so what? It may be objectionable, but that doesn't mean it isn't so.

In the second slide, you ask, "s the organisation of the photons that determines my actions or the meaning I give to the organisation?" - to be honest, I don't understand the question. What do photons have to do with your actions?

The third slide asserts that meaning comes from God. That may well be the case, but you don't offer any proof.

The fourth slide quotes John 1:1-5, followed by the claim that the "truth is written in the bible [sic]" - again, this is just an assertion, it isn't actually supported by anything in the video.

In the fifth and sixth slides, you explain why a perfect God can create imperfect beings (it's our choice), and detail God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Virgin Mary - again, nothing here is actually supported by anything in the video.

So, I respectfully disagree with you. You may well have come to Christianity by way of logic and reason, but I see nothing compelling in the video. It may well all be true, but you didn't actually demonstrate or justify any of the claims therein.

Upvote 0