Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I guess my counter-question is why wouldn't there be other religions other than Christianity? People have been seeking for meaning in the world for about as long as we have as a species been looking up into the sky wondering what it all means.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Islam exists because an angel appeared to Mohammed and told him of a gospel different than that in scriptures. He would have done well to have heeded Paul's warning in Galatians 1:
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:6-9
So we know there will be false "gospels" around until the time the Lord comes back and puts them to a final end.

That being said, Muslims themselves are not bad people by any means, just as those in any religion outside that revealed in the New Testament.

They do their best to strive for understanding for the things of God, and do works in hopes of pleasing God. This is good as motivation is concerned, but it will not save them. What they lack is the knowlege of what Jesus has done for them. They do their works to please God because they understand there has been a separation from God, but what they need to know is that their works will not make up the gap.

That god they are attempting to please is one who they see as sitting up there somewhere, demanding work upon work as an evil taskmaster, with no confidence in knowing if that god will finally discard them on a whim. This is a cruel fate. Rather the God of the Bible is one who does not demand such things.

Instead, he took on an additional nature, one of man when He came into the world as a baby. He walked in the Law of God perfectly all His days, then offered Himself on our behalf, that His perfection might be given to us, and the work of the Son was accepted by the Father, now there is no need to strive for Gods acceptance through our own works, but rather believe in the One who did these works perfectly already.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why does Islam exist? Why do any religions exist besides Christianity?

In order for their to be true choice their must be viable options to choose from.

This life is about Choosing God. If their was only one choice then really what is it we are actually doing?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I guess my counter-question is why wouldn't there be other religions other than Christianity? People have been seeking for meaning in the world for about as long as we have as a species been looking up into the sky wondering what it all means.

-CryptoLutheran
Undoubtedly, but if God exists, why would he allow false religions to flourish? The Bible shows he's not above interfering with the world to prove a point (just look at poor Job), so why wouldn't he interfere with the creation of a new religion, especially when a charismatic individual is damning all those around him?

Just as an individual sees God through a glass darlky, so too does the entire human race see God through a glass darkly. The making of religious narrative as a reaction to divine encounters seems to be instinctual across cultures and down through the millennia.
Would that mean that Christianity, too, is inherently flawed?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Islam exists because an angel appeared to Mohammed and told him of a gospel different than that in scriptures. He would have done well to have heeded Paul's warning in Galatians 1:
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:6-9
So we know there will be false "gospels" around until the time the Lord comes back and puts them to a final end.

That being said, Muslims themselves are not bad people by any means, just as those in any religion outside that revealed in the New Testament.

They do their best to strive for understanding for the things of God, and do works in hopes of pleasing God. This is good as motivation is concerned, but it will not save them. What they lack is the knowlege of what Jesus has done for them. They do their works to please God because they understand there has been a separation from God, but what they need to know is that their works will not make up the gap.
Why not? If they're doing the best they can, it seems almost petty to let them go to Hell because of their nationality.

That god they are attempting to please is one who they see as sitting up there somewhere, demanding work upon work as an evil taskmaster, with no confidence in knowing if that god will finally discard them on a whim. This is a cruel fate. Rather the God of the Bible is one who does not demand such things.
But according to you, they awake in the afterlife to find that God, a being of love and mercy, let them go to Hell for picking the wrong religion. If the Muslim toils her entire life, doing good work after good work, isn't she more worthy of Heaven than the oil baron who converts to Christianity on his deathbed? That seems far more cruel.

Instead, he took on an additional nature, one of man when He came into the world as a baby. He walked in the Law of God perfectly all His days, then offered Himself on our behalf, that His perfection might be given to us, and the work of the Son was accepted by the Father, now there is no need to strive for Gods acceptance through our own works, but rather believe in the One who did these works perfectly already.
Why is belief in Jesus among the criteria for salvation?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
In order for their to be true choice their must be viable options to choose from.
Any yet, the choice isn't fair, statistically speaking. The geographical distribution of religions shows that where your born is a major predicator of what religion you'll die believing in, and, thus, your eternal fate. That is, God, when creating Islam, indirectly caused virtually all the Middle-East to end up in Hell.

A child born in the Middle-East to fervently Muslim parents doesn't exactly have the same choice as a child born into a quietly Anglican family in the UK.

Do you think you'd be a Christian if you were born in Saudi Arabia?

This life is about Choosing God. If their was only one choice then really what is it we are actually doing?
If there was only one choice, then we'd all go to Heaven. Seems like a pretty good deal compared to the alternative.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Undoubtedly, but if God exists, why would he allow false religions to flourish? The Bible shows he's not above interfering with the world to prove a point (just look at poor Job), so why wouldn't he interfere with the creation of a new religion, especially when a charismatic individual is damning all those around him?

As I am not God, nor am I privy to His thoughts on this matter, I cannot answer that question.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavingCady

Be still and know that I am God.
Apr 15, 2012
Waterloo, IA, USA
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is belief in Jesus among the criteria for salvation?

Because you cannot get into Heaven without accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior. Adam and Eve were thrown from the Garden of Eden because they sinned against God by eating the apple. Sin & God cannot go together because...well, it's God. He is a sinless being.

Because He wants His children to come into Heaven and be with Him for eternity, the only way to do that is to be "sin-free". Jesus Christ was crucified on the cross to die for your sin, my sins, and everyone's sins. And now because He was sacrificed and paid for the sins that humanity has created, we are now given a one-way ticket to Heaven once you accept Him as your savior.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why does Islam exist? Why do any religions exist besides Christianity?
Everything is allowed to go on or is directly manipulated by God to help willing mature adult humans to fulfill their objective. This messed up world is actually the best world we could have for willing individuals to fulfill their objective.

We have tons of ways to sin, but sin is not the problem and not ever sinning is not our objective.

Everything fits the objective and you can see God quenching His own desires to help us fulfill our objective.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Any yet, the choice isn't fair, statistically speaking. The geographical distribution of religions shows that where your born is a major predicator of what religion you'll die believing in, and, thus, your eternal fate. That is, God, when creating Islam, indirectly caused virtually all the Middle-East to end up in Hell.

A child born in the Middle-East to fervently Muslim parents doesn't exactly have the same choice as a child born into a quietly Anglican family in the UK.

Do you think you'd be a Christian if you were born in Saudi Arabia?
Yes.

If there was only one choice, then we'd all go to Heaven. Seems like a pretty good deal compared to the alternative.
:)
Their is only one choice, and yet many choose not to be with God.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As I am not God, nor am I privy to His thoughts on this matter, I cannot answer that question.

-CryptoLutheran
As I understand it, Christianity is centres around building a relationship with God, communicating through prayer and revelation. Can't you pray for an answer, and tell me the response?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Everything is allowed to go on or is directly manipulated by God to help willing mature adult humans to fulfill their objective. This messed up world is actually the best world we could have for willing individuals to fulfill their objective.

That seems dubious. I can think of any number of improvements to humanity's quality of life without removing free will. In any case, if God wants us to believe, and is willing and able to interfere with worldly events, why not simply give Muhammed an aneurysm and save billions of souls?

We have tons of ways to sin, but sin is not the problem and not ever sinning is not our objective.

Everything fits the objective and you can see God quenching His own desires to help us fulfill our objective.
Which is? Personally, I'd rather God busy himself in helping the needy and the suffering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because you cannot get into Heaven without accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior. Adam and Eve were thrown from the Garden of Eden because they sinned against God by eating the apple. Sin & God cannot go together because...well, it's God. He is a sinless being.
He's also an all-powerful being, can't he snap his fingers and expunge the sin off of anyone he pleases? Say, those who are good and moral to the best of their ability?

Because He wants His children to come into Heaven and be with Him for eternity, the only way to do that is to be "sin-free".
Who enforces this rule?

Jesus Christ was crucified on the cross to die for your sin, my sins, and everyone's sins.
OK, but what do you mean, he died 'for' our sins? What did his death do, exactly?

And now because He was sacrificed and paid for the sins that humanity has created, we are now given a one-way ticket to Heaven once you accept Him as your savior.
If the sins of humanity have been paid, why do we need to accept him as our saviour? Why is salvation not simpler, and more obviously a choice? Belief isn't something that can be switched on or off freely, after all, no matter how fervently one fears burning forever.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Their is only one choice, and yet many choose not to be with God.
There are many choices (Christianity, Buddhism, etc), and only one is right, so so they say. So they all say, in fact.

Upvote 0

SavingCady

Be still and know that I am God.
Apr 15, 2012
Waterloo, IA, USA
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As I understand it, Christianity is centres around building a relationship with God, communicating through prayer and revelation. Can't you pray for an answer, and tell me the response?

I'm sorry but that was an extremely rude response. There is no need to have a smart mouth, this is just a discussion.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wiccan_Child said:
He's also an all-powerful being, can't he snap his fingers and expunge the sin off of anyone he pleases? Say, those who are good and moral to the best of their ability?

Who enforces this rule?

OK, but what do you mean, he died 'for' our sins? What did his death do, exactly?

If the sins of humanity have been paid, why do we need to accept him as our saviour? Why is salvation not simpler, and more obviously a choice? Belief isn't something that can be switched on or off freely, after all, no matter how fervently one fears burning forever.

Your responses seem to be a bit flippant, but we can only respond to God's offer of Salvation if God's grace enables us, but believing is also a choice, so Salvation does involve our own will and our cooperation with God's grace. If you want to respond to God's grace in this manner, you would find a Church--preferably Catholic--and become Baptised.

Upvote 0