Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yea..that was the sermon yesterday (and pretty much every week we have some Law/Gospel tie-in). We are sinners and being a Christian doesn't change that (the aftermath of the "Sin Boldly" bit in Luther's letter).

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems that I am having a problem on four fronts.
  • what is being said from the pulpit
  • how to deal with it
  • worship -
  • fellowship is so shallow I can get the same from the friendly clerk at the store
I can't help but wonder, given what you wrote here and the explanations that continue in the thread, if you wouldn't find more of a church community online here or in a similar forum until you find a "real" group that meets your spiritual needs. That said, it has taken me ten years to discover that my church can meet my needs.

My situation is different than yours. I searched for a church for two years and landed where I am now ten years ago. My large, Anglican church always appealed to my needs as a learner, the sermons are very good and the priests are very knowledgeable. It took me a long time, however, to understand some of the faith-specific lingo and not to feel like an outsider in such a big congregation. It wasn't until I started attending smaller group activities and volunteering in some of the ministries just a few months ago that my spiritual needs were really being addressed. I had to ask and I had to participate.

I've learned just as much here from the members on this site as I have from some of my peers at church, though. A church isn't always a building, but there is something to be said for warm coffee, an old sofa and a plate full of cookies.

Upvote 0
D

Deleteriousnonsense

I go to Church to recieve the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, which is essential to my salvation. "Unless you eat of my body, and drink of my blood, you have no life in you." Many turned away from Him when He said that, and many do today. They're willing to listen to Him when He has curious and ostensibly uplifting things to say, but when it comes to joining Him in sacrifice, they balk. The truth is, and Jesus is the truth, that all of life, is joining with Christ in His loving sacrifice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟186,201.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
On my best days I go to church to offer up before God “a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart.” On lesser days, I come before Him believing I have something of worth to contribute to His work. On still worse days, I come before Him intent upon receiving something. But on each of these days, He fills me blesses me, and may even use me, unless, on that particular day I enter His house convinced that 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing.’ On such days, I walk away the same empty vessel that walked in. That is, unless He, through preaching, song, the Scriptures, or sacraments, creates within me “a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart.”

Reactions: Mixolydian
Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2011
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For my church, right now, the only thing keeping me there is the fact that I have so many friends. I'm spiritually dead at my church and am seeking conversion to Orthodoxy, so the only thing keeping me alive is prayer. I can't wait to go to church because of something more than friendship with people of this earth. I'd rather go to church because of friendship with Almighty God. :)

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Nov 1, 2010
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My Child,

You may not know me,
but I know everything about you.

Psalm 139:1

I know when you sit down and when you rise up.

Psalm 139:2

I am familiar with all your ways.
Psalm 139:3

Even the very hairs on your head are numbered.
Matthew 10:29-31

For you were made in my image.
Genesis 1:27

In me you live and move and have your being.
Acts 17:28

For you are my offspring.
Acts 17:28

I knew you even before you were conceived.

Jeremiah 1:4-5

I chose you when I planned creation.
Ephesians 1:11-12

You were not a mistake,
for all your days are written in my book.

Psalm 139:15-16

I determined the exact time of your birth
and where you would live.

Acts 17:26

You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Psalm 139:14

I knit you together in your mother's womb.

Psalm 139:13

And brought you forth on the day you were born.
Psalm 71:6

I have been misrepresented
by those who don't know me.

John 8:41-44

I am not distant and angry,
but am the complete expression of love.

1 John 4:16

And it is my desire to lavish my love on you.
1 John 3:1

Simply because you are my child
and I am your Father.

1 John 3:1

I offer you more than your earthly father ever could.

Matthew 7:11

For I am the perfect father.
Matthew 5:48

Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand.

James 1:17

For I am your provider and I meet all your needs.

Matthew 6:31-33

My plan for your future has always been filled with hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

Because I love you with an everlasting love.
Jeremiah 31:3

My thoughts toward you are countless
as the sand on the seashore.

Psalms 139:17-18

And I rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

I will never stop doing good to you.
Jeremiah 32:40

For you are my treasured possession.

Exodus 19:5

I desire to establish you
with all my heart and all my soul.

Jeremiah 32:41

And I want to show you great and marvelous things.

Jeremiah 33:3

If you seek me with all your heart,
you will find me.

Deuteronomy 4:29

Delight in me and I will give you
the desires of your heart.

Psalm 37:4

For it is I who gave you those desires.
Philippians 2:13

I am able to do more for you
than you could possibly imagine.

Ephesians 3:20

For I am your greatest encourager.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

I am also the Father who comforts you
in all your troubles.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4

When you are brokenhearted,
I am close to you.

Psalm 34:18

As a shepherd carries a lamb,
I have carried you close to my heart.

Isaiah 40:11

One day I will wipe away
every tear from your eyes.

Revelation 21:3-4

And I'll take away all the pain
you have suffered on this earth.

Revelation 21:3-4

I am your Father, and I love you
even as I love my son, Jesus.

John 17:23

For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed.

John 17:26

He is the exact representation of my being.

Hebrews 1:3

He came to demonstrate that I am for you,
not against you.

Romans 8:31

And to tell you that I am not counting your sins.

2 Corinthians 5:18-19

Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19

His death was the ultimate expression
of my love for you.

1 John 4:10

I gave up everything I loved
that I might gain your love.

Romans 8:31-32

If you receive the gift of my son Jesus,
you receive me.

1 John 2:23

And nothing will ever separate you
from my love again.

Romans 8:38-39

Come home and I'll throw the biggest party
heaven has ever seen.

Luke 15:7

I have always been Father,
and will always be Father.

Ephesians 3:14-15

My question is…
Will you be my child?

John 1:12-13

I am waiting for you.
Luke 15:11-32

Love, Your Dad
Almighty God

Father's Love Letter used by permission Father Heart Communications
© 1999-2010
Father's Love Letter Main Page

Upvote 0

Royll

Jan 22, 2011
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't attend church because the Lord did away with Pastors (shepherds) back in the old testament. And I have not found in scripture where he restored them back to that position.

Zech 13:7 ​​​​​​​“Awake, sword, against my shepherd, against the man who is my associate,” says the LORD who rules over all. Strike the shepherd that the flock may be scattered; I will turn my hand against the insignificant ones.

He also did away with prophets at the same time:

Zech 13:1 “In that day there will be a fountain opened up for the dynasty of David and the people of Jerusalem to cleanse them from sin and impurity.
Zech 13:2 And also on that day,” says the LORD who rules over all, “I will remove the names of the idols from the land and they will never again be remembered. Moreover, I will remove the prophets and the unclean spirit from the land.
Zech 13:3 Then, if anyone prophesies in spite of this, his father and mother to whom he was born will say to him, ‘You cannot live, for you lie in the name of the LORD.’ Then his father and mother to whom he was born will run him through with a sword when he prophesies.
Zech 13:4 “Therefore, on that day each prophet will be ashamed of his vision when he prophesies and will no longer wear the hairy garment of a prophet to deceive the people.
Zech 13:5 Instead he will say, ‘I am no prophet – indeed, I am a farmer, for a man has made me his indentured servant since my youth.’
Zech 13:6 Then someone will ask him, ‘What are these wounds on your chest?’ and he will answer, ‘Some that I received in the house of my friends.’

I know God doesn't lie but Gods church is set up not the way man has made it.

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Nov 1, 2010
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mhaire, I am truly sorry that you have had disappointing experiences at church. What you describe is NOTHING at all like my community of believers. I pray that you will find a group of Christians who are united in Christ, do the good work of feeding the hungry and caring for the sick and broken, and not entangled in the earthly and commercialized issues that divide us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daniel82

Nov 25, 2010
✟15,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am very curious why you go to church. I don't seem to find the reason the Bible states in existence at church. I am hoping to hear from the the dedicated to occasional. Under the law the Israelite was commanded to worship only three times a year.

bugkiller
927154.gif

I go to Church to worship the Father in spirit and in Truth i love it learning from his word singing praises to him his word makes my weeks at work go so smooth because its like an light in my life to me energy to make it through what the world puts in your way to bring you down i thank God for everyday of life and Praise him for every sunday and that i learn and teach what he teaches me

Reactions: HisHomeMaker
Upvote 0

Royll

Jan 22, 2011
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I were to tell you the truth I most likely will be banned.

But I will tell you this God never designed the Church this what you get from man made doctrines. What you get as Christianity is Roman Catholic through the King James Bible and Orthodox Catholic Church through the other bibles translated from the Greek. The Catholic Church split up into different Groups. As King James was Catholic and never converted to Christianity. He separated from the Roman Catholic Church and formed the Anglican Church and his Doctrines are incorporated into the Church of England where all the English speaking churches are associated no matter what they are called.

Please start reading up on the history although it has been distorted but you will find sites only that the Catholics can not touch. If there are any of the Catholic faith here I have nothing against your religion but because of the power that your leaders have they have distorted the history of true Christianity and many are lost because of It.

What you need to do is read up on theses two.
The King James version and the Greek Orthodox Church.

I will give you a little scripture for when Jesus was ali9ve here on earth before his death, burial and resurrection. This scripture will tell you that he is the leader so where does that leaves the clergy?

Read the following: See if these is happening today?
Matt 23:1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,
Matt 23:2 “The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses.
Matt 23:3 So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don’t follow their example. For they don’t practice what they teach.
Matt 23:4 They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.
Matt 23:5 “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels.
Matt 23:6 And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues.
Matt 23:7 They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called ‘Rabbi.’

Below is the part that you need to understand verse 10 as true Christians have no human Teachers per Jesus Christ who is God the Son.

Matt 23:8 “Don’t let anyone call you ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters.
Matt 23:9 And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.
Matt 23:10 And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah.
Matt 23:11 The greatest among you must be a servant.
Matt 23:12 But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
Matt 23:13 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either.

Now read the following where Jesus says he is the Good Shepherd he doesn't add any other shepherds just he is the Good Shepherd.

John 10:6 Those who heard Jesus use this illustration didn’t understand what he meant,
John 10:7 so he explained it to them: “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep.
John 10:8 All who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them.
John 10:9 Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures.
John 10:10 The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep.
John 10:12 A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock.
John 10:13 The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep.
John 10:14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me,
John 10:15 just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep.
John 10:16 I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also. They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock with one shepherd.
John 10:17 “The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again.
John 10:18 No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.”

This part of the scripture in the above he speaks of Us Gentiles as the other sheep. Who Jesus was speaking to where the Jews and that is who the father sent him to.

John 10:16 I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also. They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock with one shepherd.

Normally I get banned when I show the truth I hope I don't if You are to become true Christians.

Even what you are told to be saved is incorrect because it is man made. What you the Jews neede to believe for their salvation is different then what we must believe as Gentiles for ours.

I want you to think about what I give you and what you have been told and this was only for the Jews.

Only through Scripture. I will use Peter as he was the Chief Apostle to the Jews.

Look at the reply that people said Jesus was.

Matt 16:13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
Matt 16:14 “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.”

Now look at Peter's reply and read the rest.

Matt 16:15 Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?”
Matt 16:16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Matt 16:17 Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being.
Matt 16:18 Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.
Matt 16:19 And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven.”
Matt 16:20 Then he sternly warned the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
Add there are other scripture where the believers said something similar.

But the main one is when he was baptized.

Matt 3:16 After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him.
Matt 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.”

think about this you haven't even been taught what the Jews needed to believe for their salvation.

I am no teacher are anything of that nature and why I will take you to Hebrews:

Heb 8:10 But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day, says the LORD: I will put my laws in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
Heb 8:11 And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the LORD.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already.
Heb 8:12 And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”
Heb 8:13 When God speaks of a “new” covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear.

You may not understand this but God is saying he will be all believers teacher take a look at verse 11.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GA777

May 17, 2011
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because it is one of the 10 commandments, to take communion,and because I always feel a presence , a great presence there, which is the holy spirit, and it can strenghten you spiritually a lot if you really concentrate on all the hymns-prayers etc. there and say them from your heart by understanding every word and its further meaning.
michaeljournal(dot)org/holymass(dot)htm
This describes the importance of Sunday Mass
And St Padre Pio ( a really pure saint ) insisted about going to church, and he had encounters with Jesus & Mary and angels since he was very young so he aint speaking from his own :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Royll

Jan 22, 2011
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If i were to show you where there is no church you wouldn't believe it and the scripture would be right in front of you.

Matt 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
Matt 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in two from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
Matt 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
Matt 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared to many.

Verse 51 with the veil of the temple being rent in two means that God no longer dwell in the temple. did the high priest go into that area each year to make the sacrifices for himself and the people.

Now let's see who God says is his temple after the veil of the temple was rent in two.

1Cor 3:16 Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
1Cor 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
1Cor 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seems to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

Isn't it odd that God says you as a human being is the temple of God and what else that the Spirit of God dwells in you.

So again as you notice that there is no brick and mortar temple if God says you are the temple of God. Also before the veil of the man made temple was rent in two isn't that were God dwelled. Now he says the Spirit of God dwells in you.

So this comes to another question if the Spirit of God dwells in you who teaches you. If one is truly a Christian how can man teach another man what the Holy Spirit teaches and they are equals in the eyes of God. Is Either of them saved because man is so called teaching another man.

Let us see what God says as proof:
Two things that I must make you aware the covenant that is being spoken about has already been made it was done on the death of Jesus on the cross not the resurrection.
The second thing is in verse 10 when it says and write them in their hearts, this is really write them on their hearts. When this is said like that in the King James this is his use if his belief in the divine rights if the King where he is next to and it is his interpretation of Gods word.

Special note is to be made on what is said in verse 11, which goes back to who teaches who.

Compare the two bible scripture:
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, said the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 8:13 In that he said, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and waxes old is ready to vanish away.

NLT Bible

Heb 8:10 But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day, says the LORD: I will put my laws in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
Heb 8:11 And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the LORD.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already.
Heb 8:12 And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”
Heb 8:13 When God speaks of a “new” covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear.

Now this is the word of God which you are nobody else have been told about.
I will give you what type of doctrines you are under and have been every since the death of Jesus on the cross.
Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees and scribes during that time but the same thing is happening today.
Matt 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
Matt 15:5 But you say, Whoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatever you might be profited by me;
Matt 15:6 And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Matt 15:7 You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
Matt 15:8 This people draws near to me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Matt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Being a Christian is first one must know what to put their faith and belief in to be saved and no human being as far as I have seen knows because if they did they would know exactly what I have just showed and also they wouldn't have to study the scriptures as when a person has true faith and belief in Jesus Christ from the scriptures something is done so that they can understand the scriptures. Jesus did this for his disciples first after his resurrection and then for all the believers that were in Jerusalem on Pentecost.

You need proof I can show you through the scriptures only.

Upvote 0

GA777

May 17, 2011
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Going to church isnt for learning only. :)
There are lots of valuable and more important things there : the holy spirit is present in a huge way there,when you go there it is you who visit Jesus and not the other way around,so Jesus would be more happy because you're seeking him too. Also it is part of 1 of the 10 commandments "Remember the Lord's day" (sunday).You get blessed there by the priest (EVERY priest has a great authority in the church no matter who he is outside it),and you can take holy communion+it's a mix of prayers with many people, and the more people who pray together,the more power the prayer has+you can get great spiritual gifts if you focus on all prayers and on every phase of the church from your whole heart and brain.
michaeljournal(dot)org/holymass(dot)htm (replace the "(dot)" with a ".") Check this link, you'll be able to understand better about the church.I had the same thoughts as you until i did a lot more research and ended up going to church every sunday. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2011
✟7,676.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Church as a communal place for born-again Christians is awesome. The Church, as most of us know it, is (at best) a politics based human instituition.

Communion is the word. Wherever believers come together that is the "Church of Christ".

The Church building, the feeling of being with others who seem to think as you do, the 'heard comfort' - it's nothing before God. Only you are before Him.

If your Church recharges the spirit within you, God wishes you to attend. If anything else then it's just mantra, designed to stop you thinking about Him by pretending to be His vessel.

Upvote 0