Why do you go to church?

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am very curious why you go to church. I don't seem to find the reason the Bible states in existence at church. I am hoping to hear from the the dedicated to occasional. Under the law the Israelite was commanded to worship only three times a year.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Acts 2:42
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Hebrews 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

I enjoy it. I go for growth. An oak tree planted in a desert is not going to survive. It needs water.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟67,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am very curious why you go to church. I don'tseem to find the reason the Bible states in existence at church. I am hoping to hear from the the dedicated to occasional. Under the law the Israelite was commanded to worship only three times a year.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Hey brother,

The scriptures tell us that the body of Christ does not function properly without the presence and work of all of its "body parts" (1 Cor. 12). There is more to attending church than just well, attending. lol

Here is a good resource that might help you in your understanding. :)

Church: Why Bother?: Philip Yancey: 9780310243137: Christianbook.com

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I enjoy it. I go for growth. An oak tree planted in a desert is not going to survive. It needs water.

This.
Whilst I enjoy going into the woods and simply worshipping God whilst being surrounded by His creations there's something amazing about meeting with others who share the same passion for the Lord and seeing verses in new lights through the help of elders that cannot be experienced alone. At least I cannot experience it alone.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This.
Whilst I enjoy going into the woods and simply worshipping God whilst being surrounded by His creations there's something amazing about meeting with others who share the same passion for the Lord and seeing verses in new lights through the help of elders that cannot be experienced alone. At least I cannot experience it alone.
I seem to be having more than a slight problem in finding those who have a passion or love for Jesus at church outside of the few occasional new christians full of unlearned zeal that you don't seem to be able to fellowship with. They don't seem to be able to handle balance very well.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is hard to find people who are truly "on fire" for God. It seems most people go to church because it is a weekly obligation and not because of any personal desire. Trying to regain the "family" aspect of the church where people learn and grow together as we fellowship meeting one anothers needs just living life together is a real goal for me as a pastor.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hey brother,

The scriptures tell us that the body of Christ does not function properly without the presence and work of all of its "body parts" (1 Cor. 12). There is more to attending church than just well, attending. lol

Here is a good resource that might help you in your understanding. :)

Church: Why Bother?: Philip Yancey: 9780310243137: Christianbook.com
First thanks, I do appreaciate that.

It seems that I am having a problem on four fronts.
  • what is being said from the pulpit
  • how to deal with it
  • worship -
  • fellowship is so shallow I can get the same from the friendly clerk at the store
There just doesn't seem to be what is happening in what is related in Heb 10:24, 25.

Being a single male doesn't help much either. Going and not participating except to sing and put money in the plate is not what I would call provoking to good works. I see more and more of the no offense attitude to get people into the church these days. I very rarely see any teaching about the faith or christian life.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is hard to find people who are truly "on fire" for God. It seems most people go to church because it is a weekly obligation and not because of any personal desire. Trying to regain the "family" aspect of the church where people learn and grow together as we fellowship meeting one anothers needs just living life together is a real goal for me as a pastor.
Yes I see your problem from the inside that your position as pastor will not allow for you to see. The people will not generally be open and honest with the leadership anywhere - work or church. I guess our nature to hide is a problem. Letting some one inside (fellowship of friends) usually - no has always gotten betrayal from the self serving for me. This gets in the way of fellowship. I would call fellowship something close to intimate. No I am not talking about husband and wife stuff (no reference to the bedroom).

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wells Marsh

Apr 21, 2010
Georgia
✟8,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I go to church for several reasons: First, because the Word instructs us to not forsake the assembling of our selves together. Second, because church is where I am to be equipped for the work of the ministry and for the edifying of the body of Christ. The church I attend must satisfy my second reason.

Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Ephesians 4:11-16
11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect (mature) man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head – Christ – 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Your church has expensive coffee and it's worse than Starbucks? Yeah, you need to find a new church.
I thought I was funny? You take the cake. I am referring to the persoanl cost of that church coffee. Let's see transprotation costs plus what you put in the plate. Sure seems like Starbucks would be cheeper. I would bet they don't use the cheepest coffee money can buy either.

Yeah I taught adult sunday school and they told me they were there for the coffee and donuts.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I go to church for several reasons: First, because the Word instructs us to not forsake the assembling of our selves together. Second, because church is where I am to be equipped for the work of the ministry and for the edifying of the body of Christ. The church I attend must satisfy my second reason.

Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Ephesians 4:11-16
11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect (mature) man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head – Christ – 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
Count yourself among the very fortunate.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah I taught adult sunday school and they told me they were there for the coffee and donuts.

bugkiller
927154.gif

There's people like that almost everywhere. I do not have SS and I do not serve donuts....we do have lunch together after service though. :sorry:

We take turns covering lunch.

Upvote 0