StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
You have done an in depth analysis if the religious affiliation of all other forums frequented by north Americans?

So you have a problem understanding vernacular in context?

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea, paranoia maybe?
Or, how your responses do not account for the information already provided.
Did you miss the part where I asked, " like evolution"?
No. I did not get what your intent was by that, hence my request for clarification.
You mean like you do?
I do keep to myself. I am here neither to champion science, nor to promote my beliefs. I am here to observe.
Likewise.
I provided the example of preaching in a science forum, and how that was the only offence other than ad homonyms that I saw moderated.
then that's the one difference between those forms and this. Hear preaching is not a bannable offense. You can preach all you want
Sure. It still looks stupid when done in any sciences forum, here or elsewhere.
Why do so many of your real could do this all the time? Do you not understand what you yourself post or is it the vernacular you're having a hard time with. Or is it that you just like to feign obtuseness as a group? Is there an apologetics course for atheism I'm not aware of?
I simply asked that you be specific by what you meant. Is this being too demanding?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can somebody hate something they do not believe exists?

I think Christians prefer the idea that we just simply hate their god, rather than accept the truth that we don't think he exists.

Yep, it is a defense mechanism.

Just claim the people who disagree with you are hateful and or led by evil and that does wonders to protect this type of simple mindedness.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
How can somebody hate something they do not believe exists?

I think Christians prefer the idea that we just simply hate their god, rather than accept the truth that we don't think he exists.
It is a means of distracting from their inability to substantiate their claims.

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Yep, it is a defense mechanism.

Just claim the people who disagree with you are hateful and or led by evil and that does wonders to protect this type of simple mindedness.
And if the writers of your particular holy texts implied that being persecuted is a sign that you are on the right path, all the better to call attention to it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
YouTube is hardly full of dispassionate voices. It's the internet after all.

I'm fully OK with kids being taught creationism (even though I am not a creationist), if that's what their parents feel is best, because I value traditional institutions like the family. It's the universal wisdom of humanity that the family is where we learn to love others and act as a good members of society- the family is a school for virtue. This is taught by Conficius and also reflected in the Jewish Torah in the Ten Commandments ("Honor your father and mother"). So I feel unless the parents are doing something illegal like physically abusing or exploiting their children, the parents should be left alone to raise their kids as they see best.

Unlike most liberals, I'm not in favor of public schooling on pragmatic grounds. Unschooled and Homeschooled kids can turn out much better. A few months ago I read about a girl who never attended school once in her life, her parents were opposed to it, and yet now she's a documentary filmmaker. State schooling in the US has always been about churning out lots of drones for the industrial-business complex, but at heart I value the individual and their potential far more, and at any rate, society is changing and moving on from 19th century agrarian models, the US is no longer a manufacturing country. So we just don't need that type of education. But traditions die hard and the NEA has a lot of lobby in the Democrat party.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Umm.. how do I put this politely.. The definition of religion is a belief in God. That's like saying "I'm not a human but I am a man".. Its a ridiculous statement.

Merely believing in God doesn't make you religious. One could have a philosophical belief in God without participating in religion in a meaningful way. For most people, when they talk about religion, they are talking about institutional religion. There are plenty of religious "nones" in the US that are theists. Likewise, a lot of Europeans or Australians would fall into that category. It's sort of like the label "spiritual, but not religious".

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
So your issue is Christians trying to influence laws of the land? Is that not what some atheists also do? Isn't part of being a Democratic Society give us all the ability to try and influence the laws of our land?
Yes it is. Yes they do. Absolutely- one way of doing this is by reaching out to groups who believe differently from you and trying to convince them to change their views through debate... Now if only there was some kind of forums where I could do exactly that...

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Yes it is. Yes they do. Absolutely- one way of doing this is by reaching out to groups who believe differently from you and trying to convince them to change their views through debate... Now if only there was some kind of forums where I could do exactly that...
There are, and they are formal debate forums where there are rules in place on how debates are conducted. You should try them sometime and you'll find it's not that easy to equivocate and try to wiggle out of assertions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Only Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, so despite the claims of every other religion in the world, only Jesus is the truth.
Yes claims are very cheap unless they are backed up by the reality of Jesus Christ. He's the only one that rose from the dead, he's the only one that is still here, all the others are dead and gone.

I'm sure that's all very true, for you.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm just wondering how many atheists go to any other forums but Christian ones or fight against any other belief but Christianity?

Why would we do that, when we're all living within Christian or nominally Christian societies?

No Hindus have threatened my kids with religious horror stories while my back was turned. No Buddhists have insisted I engage in their rituals before dinner. No Muslims have called me the devil because I don't believe in their god. No Shintoists have come to my front door to tell me I'm doomed if I don't join their cult immediately.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Only Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, so despite the claims of every other religion in the world, only Jesus is the truth.
Yes claims are very cheap unless they are backed up by the reality of Jesus Christ. He's the only one that rose from the dead, he's the only one that is still here, all the others are dead and gone.

Bolding mine.

So you are saying the Bible is wrong when it records several others rising from the dead.

Interesting.

Reactions: Davian
Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No, its not absurd at all. They want to be good and rebel against the idea that they are not. I don't see the problem. If you truly believe you are a good person and someone tells you you are a lost soul and not good, then I don't see why rebelling against that idea makes my thought absurd. Sorry you lost me there.

There seems to be a pervasive failure to grasp a fundamental difference in the mindset of the non-believer. These ideas of rebellion only make sense in a master/slave, or parent/child relationship. Rebellion can only occur when it's against something which we feel otherwise powerless to 'defeat'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
There are, and they are formal debate forums where there are rules in place on how debates are conducted. You should try them sometime and you'll find it's not that easy to equivocate and try to wiggle out of assertions.

I have, I enjoy all manners of debate. Christianforums is one of the forums I visit occasionally. I hope this answers your question to why I am here?

Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Why would we do that, when we're all living within Christian or nominally Christian societies?
No Hindus have threatened my kids with religious horror stories while my back was turned. No Buddhists have insisted I engage in their rituals before dinner. No Muslims have called me the devil because I don't believe in their god. No Shintoists have come to my front door to tell me I'm doomed if I don't join their cult immediately.

North America is not Christian Society. It is not even nominally a Christian Society.
How about some actual facts concerning your claims?

Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Bolding mine.
So you are saying the Bible is wrong when it records several others rising from the dead.
Interesting.

All resurrections recorded in the Bible where instigated by God himself. What you fail to realize is that all of those recorded in the Bible that did experience Resurrection, have since then died except for Jesus. Reason being he is God incarnate. There are only two recorded incidents in the Bible where a person did not die, and those two people, Enoch and Elijah, fit in prominently to end time prophecies.

Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
The Muslim is right because Allah said so.

When it is what Allah said, yes. Most Muslims don't quote God or Allah, they quote Muhammad, and most of what Muhammad said we're lies.

Upvote 0