Angelish

Aug 8, 2011
Indiana
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 6:9 says that Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God.

I am sure that Noah taught his sons about God. Noah was a positive role model for his sons. I am sure they were close to Noah and were influenced by him. God knows the heart of man and has a reason for all that He does. Noah was the leader in his family so God spoke to Noah and not his sons.

"But I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall go into the ark—you, your sons, your wife, and your sons’ wives with you." Genesis 6:18

"Then the LORD said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation." Genesis 7:1 (NKJV)

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Take a look at Genesis 6, which is the beginning of Noah's story.

Genesis 6 NIV - Wickedness in the World When human - Bible Gateway

Specifically, verse 9-10. "This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth."

From this we can reason that if Noah was a righteous man, and if Noah found favor with God, then it follows that Noah's family also shares in that favor. If you read the entire story, there is no indication that Noah's sons were wicked like the other people on earth.

Upvote 0

dazed

Jun 21, 2011
✟17,651.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
I read the KJV again and I don't see where it mentioned that his family was righteous too.
6-7 mentioned that God was upset at the evilness of men and about the wipe them out. 8 mentioned that Noah found grace, not Noah and his family found grace. 9 restated Noah's righteousness and his descendants. None mentioned of his family's goodness. The father maybe righteous but that doesn't mean his descendants would be too.

KJV -

6And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

8But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

9These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

10And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

11The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

Upvote 0

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It is implied within the passage that Noahs sons were righteous. Its just that Noah was probably more righteous.

There are many more reasons Noahs sons were saved namely to repopulate the earth. Also Noah is a direct forefather of Jesus, if Noahs sons hadnt gone on the Ark there would have been no Jesus, and that possibility was not in God plan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why did God save Noah

Why By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith." But "without faith it is impossible to please God." (Heb 11:7,6)

(this is lengthy but detailed)
http://injil.org/TWOR/15.html

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read the KJV again and I don't see where it mentioned that his family was righteous too. The father maybe righteous but that doesn't mean his descendants would be too.

You're missing something significant in the text. The words being used here to describe why Noah was chosen aren't simple things like we might consider today, such as guilt or innocence. And yes, what it refers to absolutely does pertain to his direct descendants as well.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I read the KJV again and I don't see where it mentioned that his family was righteous too.
6-7 mentioned that God was upset at the evilness of men and about the wipe them out. 8 mentioned that Noah found grace, not Noah and his family found grace. 9 restated Noah's righteousness and his descendants. None mentioned of his family's goodness. The father maybe righteous but that doesn't mean his descendants would be too.

KJV -

6And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

8But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

9These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

10And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

11The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

If you take the text strictly in a literal sense, it does not directly say that Noah's family was righteous. But we are given minds that can reason. The text doesn't say if Noah's family was righteous or not, but we can use our understanding to know the answer:

-If Noah is righteous...
-If Noah found favor with God while the wicked did not...
-If Noah's family was saved with him...

...then it is reasonable to conclude that Noah's family was also counted as righteous. If we think about it, it makes sense that a righteous man would raise his sons to also be righteous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dazed

Jun 21, 2011
✟17,651.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
If you take the text strictly in a literal sense, it does not directly say that Noah's family was righteous. But we are given minds that can reason. The text doesn't say if Noah's family was righteous or not, but we can use our understanding to know the answer:

-If Noah is righteous...
-If Noah found favor with God while the wicked did not...
-If Noah's family was saved with him...

...then it is reasonable to conclude that Noah's family was also counted as righteous. If we think about it, it makes sense that a righteous man would raise his sons to also be righteous.

But I thought the Bible is literate truth. How would I know when to read It as a literate truth and when It's implied?

Actually, I did think about it. There are too many instances where the sons did not raise to the father's standard. Using your argument, Noah raised righteous sons, his sons raised righteous sons and so on, then we are all righteous! Jesus would not have to die if we are all righteous.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
But I thought the Bible is literate truth. How would I know when to read It as a literate truth and when It's implied?

Actually, I did think about it. There are too many instances where the sons did not raise to the father's standard. Using your argument, Noah raised righteous sons, his sons raised righteous sons and so on, then we are all righteous! Jesus would not have to die if we are all righteous.

The part I bolded, those are your words, not mine. I haven't read far enough about Noah's future descendants to make that claim. I'm speaking about his sons.

Let's look at the verses again. Gen 6:9-10. "This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth."

This, combined with the context that Noah was considered righteous, and that Noah's family was also saved with him, we can infer that his sons were also considered righteous by God. There is no text of Noah's sons being wicked, and because the wicked were destroyed in the flood while Noah and his family were saved, we understand that Noah's sons were not wicked.

The text does not explicitly state if Noah's sons were righteous, or if they were wicked, therefore we use our own knowledge and understanding to know that they were righteous.

Upvote 0