Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't do something of great magnitude unless you have a reason to do it. So, why did God decide to create the universe?
All things come in parables. Here is God's parable manifest intent, speaking rather of himself (projecting):

Genesis 2:18
And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Since time is indelibly tied up with space in the creation of the universe, the concept of 'before' cannot really exist without time being created in the first place.

I believe that metaphysical time existed prior to the universe.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if creating a universe would be considered something of great magnitude, based on God's point of view. It was probably quite simple.

Well the Bible seems to say it's of great magnitude for him. Otherwise why would God ever visit this planet?

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Achilles6129 said:
You don't do something of great magnitude unless you have a reason to do it.
When I first read this statement, I was thinking 'great magnitude' in the sense of 'very complicated and difficult to achieve'. Seventy One seems to have had the same impression, but your answer to Seventy One implies you were using 'magnitude' descriptive of importance to Him. Would you please clarify?

Achilles6129 said:
So, why did God decide to create the universe?
The best answer to this is something I heard so long ago I've forgotten the source (it may well be C. S. Lewis; I get a lot from him): God Creates for the same reason He loves, it is His nature.

Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim. Archie has a sarcastic and satirical mouth. Nothing does 'it' all the time, but it's in our nature. God is Infinite, so He's not limited in what He does, but He creates and He loves.

Achilles6129 said:
But anyways, why do you think he created Satan?
It's been answered, but Satan was one of the angels God created when He was staffing Heaven.
Did God create Satan to be the Great Enemy? Perhaps. It was no surprise to God when Satan rebelled.

Did Satan have a choice in rebelling? I think so; from my experience with God, He gives everyone (every thing?) a chance.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Achilles6129 said:
It's interesting, isn't it, that God could have created any universe he liked, and yet he created this particular one.
You do realize we'd be saying that if we breathed methane gas and had tentacles, don't you?

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Achilles6129 said:
I believe that metaphysical time existed prior to the universe.
Now that is an interesting concept. Any definition or clarification for 'metaphysical time'?

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't do something of great magnitude unless you have a reason to do it. So, why did God decide to create the universe?

WE don't do things without a reason, but that is because WE are creatures who are impinged upon by other forces. We have "reasons" in the sense that things drive us forward other than our own will. We are everywhere bound with rules, human laws and natural laws, that require is to have and use reason in order to survive.

God is unbound by anything. So, when God does something, it's because he wants to, nothing less, and nothing more.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dear Achilles6129. God is the Creator, and God created all there is. God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first Commandment is Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we are told:" On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," shed all selfish and unloving thoughts. Start loving and caring, be kind and considerate, forgive as God forgives us.
In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " Ask and you shall receive," we keep asking God for Love and Joy, then we thank God and share all with our neighbour. ( neighbour is all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends) We keep asking and receiving, then thank God and share all love and joy with all around us. God will see and Bless us, and love is what this imperfect world needs. Let us all live like that, and God will enjoy all. I say this with love, Achilles. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

I get the feeling that I've seen this somewhere before...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To create something similar to Himself. His bride. Us. Satan therefore is jealous and hates us. Satan said eat and you will be like God. This was a lie. We were already like Him. In His image. It's all created for Him to take a bride.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Achilles6129 said:
Time that works in a radically different way than it works in this universe.
Achilles, old boy, I think I just kicked your bad heel.

That isn't much of an explanation or answer.

There have been a number of civilizations prior to us who believed time was 'cyclical'. That is, everything happened over and over in cycles.

Our current civilization understands - perceives - time as linear and non-repeating. Does that make the cyclical theory of time 'metaphysical'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
How am I supposed to explain something which I've never experienced? Metaphysical time is an idea which is based off of the fact that you can't have an infinite regress in our understanding of time. So, it makes sense to suggest that outside of this universe time works in a radically different fashion; a fashion which will, in fact, allow for an infinite regress.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Achilles6129 said:
How am I supposed to explain something which I've never experienced?
Excellent point. One point I was hoping you'd mention.

One can discuss death without experiencing it. Most of us have observed it in some fashion or level, so 'we' can talk about death in a way we cannot talk about Eternity, for instance.

Achilles6129 said:
Metaphysical time is an idea which is based off of the fact that you can't have an infinite regress in our understanding of time.
Time to kick your heel again.

From what comes the use of 'metaphysical'?
What do you mean by 'infinite regress'?

Achilles6129 said:
So, it makes sense to suggest that outside of this universe time works in a radically different fashion...
I agree without quibble. Which is why I speak of Eternity in terms of God's existence.

Achilles6129 said:
...a fashion which will, in fact, allow for an infinite regress.
With which I might also agree, if I knew what you mean by infinite regress.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
From what comes the use of 'metaphysical'?
What do you mean by 'infinite regress'?

'Metaphysical' in the sense of something that transcends the laws of this universe. It's something outside of our experience of reality.

'Infinite regress' is a reference to the fact you can't have an infinite series of past events or else you could have never gotten to the present event. It is based off of the way time works (to our knowledge) inside of this universe. That leads me to conclude that there must be some sort of metaphysical time which operates in a radically different fashion. I suggest that it may be highly possible that God lives in this metaphysical time.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
come on people 37 replies and the closest and correct answer is

because he wanted to .

lets put some scripture on the topic shall we .here it is in a bunch of versions for you .

New International Version
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."

New Living Translation
"You are worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power. For you created all things, and they exist because you created what you pleased."

English Standard Version
“Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”

Berean Study Bible
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for You created all things; by Your will they exist, and came to be."

Berean Literal Bible
"Worthy are You, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will, they existed and were created."

New American Standard Bible
"Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created."

King James Bible
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Achilles6129 said:
'Metaphysical' in the sense of something that transcends the laws of this universe. It's something outside of our experience of reality.
I see what you mean. I think most Christian thinkers and philosophers call this 'Eternity'. At least I do. I probably won't change my wording/thinking, but I can adjust what I read from you. At least we'll be discussing a mutually agreed idea.

Achilles6129 said:
'Infinite regress' is a reference to the fact you can't have an infinite series of past events or else you could have never gotten to the present event. It is based off of the way time works (to our knowledge) inside of this universe. That leads me to conclude that there must be some sort of metaphysical time which operates in a radically different fashion. I suggest that it may be highly possible that God lives in this metaphysical time.
I also understand your thought process here (I think). But this distinction depends on context. For instance, the current Universe - Earth, Sun, other stars, 'laws of Nature' and so on - only can be tracked back to the beginning of the Universe. At this point, it doesn't matter if that was 6,000 years ago or 13.74 billion years ago; it was the beginning of the Universe.

Of course, the 'time line' of God is 'longer', at least in the way we humans think of it. God (and Heaven, it seems) has always existed. The idea of 'infinite regression' to when God 'started' is a futile and meaningless undertaking.

As an example: It seems Satan rebelled and was cast out of Heaven prior to the creation of the Earth (and presumably Universe). But since that was prior to 'time' in any sense we understand it, 'how long ago' is without meaning to human comprehension.

Upvote 0