Shahzam

Jul 13, 2009
Northwestern USA
✟7,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Let me star off by saying if I offended you, I apologize. If I misread your post, I apologize. But it did seem like you were saying that Paul was wrong. I guess I just need to reread it several times. .
:wave: You are NOT offensive! And maybe I just did not write clearly!

However, to follow the entire bible we see that in the new testament that it is ok to eat meat and even meat that was once considered unclean. But, as Paul spoke of, we must always be observant to not offend the weaker christians or even the potential ones.
I know that this is what the churches teach, but it is not Scriptural. When Paul was speaking, he was speaking to those who ate kosher. Things that are not kosher were and are not considered food or meat. If Paul had intended that every animal was suddenly "meat" to be consumed, then it would be all right to eat lions, bears, worms, all insects, etc. But Messiah said that not one smallest bit of the Torah would be done away with until heaven and earth pass away, and they haven't yet.

Upvote 0

Shahzam

Jul 13, 2009
Northwestern USA
✟7,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Please, please , please use a font size and color that we can all read. My poor old eyes became quite weary attempting to read the little light blue print that you used.

On the topic, who has kept Torah perfectly? Are God's standards any less than complete and utter perfection? Who can ascend the hill of the Lord (Psalm 24:3)?

I am so sorry, but it won't let me change except on a post by post basis. I hate that color here, too, and it is also hard on my eyes, but nothing I do changes it away from that color permanently.

If no one can keep Torah perfectly, does that mean we should not try? Does our inability, based upon our sin, negate Torah, which is G-d's?

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I am so sorry, but it won't let me change except on a post by post basis. I hate that color here, too, and it is also hard on my eyes, but nothing I do changes it away from that color permanently.

I understand the problem. Here is what you should do - Just above the box where you are writing your post there is a series of icons. Just above the box at the far left you will see a B. If you click on it it will make your text bold like this. The next one is I which makes your text italic like this. The next is U which underlines your words. Then there are a lat of other icons which can do a lot of different things for you.

Right above this row you will probably see a which space with the word, "Fonts" in it. If you click on it you will get a list of different font styles. This is Georgia, for example. Next to is is another box labeled sizes. You can change the size of the font by clicking on it like so - This is 7. Three is quite readable, but 2 is the typical default size which I am using now. To the right of Size is a large. Click on it and you will get a lot of little boxes with colors. I clicked on the red box to get this and the light blue box to get this, Most people have black as their default color.

I hope this helps. It took me a while to figure it out.

If no one can keep Torah perfectly, does that mean we should not try? Does our inability, based upon our sin, negate Torah, which is G-d's?

That is a really good question. I think each believer in Messah will do their utmost to please G-d - not as a means to attain eternal life or gain favor, but out of love and gratitude.

The question becomes how does one do that. We have Torah which nobody disputes as being from G-d. The great difficulty with Torah is that no longer are Temple sacrifices possible, much less needed, because Messiah has fulfilled those requirements. As believers in Messiah we do not attempt to substitute our obedience to Torah for those sacrifices. Rather, Messiah has done that for us.

In the same way, the New Testament makes it clear that circumcision is now of the heart and not outwardly so that I, as a gentile believer, am not under Torah in that regard. As you know, circumcision is a major aspect of Torah.

Believers in Messiah are also free to observe new moons and sabbaths but should not impose their own observance upon other believers.

I think you see a similar thing in Judaism where various traditions have developed so that some believe that others must follow their tradition to be truly Jewish but others embrace all who are Jewish (and that is debatable, as well) regardless of tradition.

I do not judge you for your adherence to Torah and I hope you understand that other believers in Messiah, especially gentiles such as myself, hold different views regarding Torah.

Upvote 0

Shahzam

Jul 13, 2009
Northwestern USA
✟7,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Oh, that was so kind of you to write all that out for me! I know how to make each individual post do things, but I was using the set of 3 commands on the left under Your Profile in order to set my posts up universally. I set my font color to a dark blue, but I got an eye-jarring turquoise. I have not been able to fix that or the fact that it made my font tiny.

Since someone besides me complained (I was only complaining about it to myself, not to the board), I tried to fix it several times, but it always reverts. I simply dislike having to fix it for every post, because it is a pain. Maybe I will look into it further and see if there is still another way.

Regarding Torah, I believe that Messiah knew we would be without the Temple, and I believe that this was the reason for the book of Hebrews. But I also believe that the Temple will be temporarily reinstated, as it says in Zachariah.

When Messiah said that He did not come to abolish Torah, I believe He meant it, and since heaven and earth have not passed away, I believe Torah still stands.

As far as being "under" Torah, I don't believe any true believer is under the condemnation of Torah, but i do not believe that this takes away our desire to serve the L-rd and to do what He has said in Torah.

I don't believe that there are two ways of salvation, but i understand that there are people who have not been convicted to follow Torah. For these, it is curious to me that they don't want to follow Torah! I think they don't because so many teachers have done their best to make it look like following Torah is a chore, that it takes away freedom, that it is somehow a lower way of life, and SOME even teach that it a SIN to do Torah. That is SO unfortunate! So sad.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Oh, that was so kind of you to write all that out for me! I know how to make each individual post do things, but I was using the set of 3 commands on the left under Your Profile in order to set my posts up universally. I set my font color to a dark blue, but I got an eye-jarring turquoise. I have not been able to fix that or the fact that it made my font tiny.

Since someone besides me complained (I was only complaining about it to myself, not to the board), I tried to fix it several times, but it always reverts. I simply dislike having to fix it for every post, because it is a pain. Maybe I will look into it further and see if there is still another way.

I don't know how you can reset the default since I have not had that problem. Once I had a problem where my password was being rejected so I had to reregister under my current name. If all else fails you might want to try that.

Regarding Torah, I believe that Messiah knew we would be without the Temple, and I believe that this was the reason for the book of Hebrews. But I also believe that the Temple will be temporarily reinstated, as it says in Zachariah.

Yes, I agree entirely with you about that.

When Messiah said that He did not come to abolish Torah, I believe He meant it, and since heaven and earth have not passed away, I believe Torah still stands.

Some believers understand this to mean that Torah still stands as G-d's standard for judgment, which, of course, is true. They see that Messiah has fulfilled all of its requirements for the believer and thus they believe is free from its commands being, instead, under the law of Christ, which is to love G-d and to love our neighbor as ourself (Luke 10:25-28).

As far as being "under" Torah, I don't believe any true believer is under the condemnation of Torah, but i do not believe that this takes away our desire to serve the L-rd and to do what He has said in Torah.

This certainly does not take away the desire of a true believer to serve the L-rd. For an observant Jew serving the Lord can be done through Torah. For gentile believers such as myself the interpretation made at the council in Jerusalem in Acts 15 is, at least, a minimum. I do not know of any gentile believers who do not keep from idols, fornication, things strangled, and from blood.

I don't believe that there are two ways of salvation, but i understand that there are people who have not been convicted to follow Torah. For these, it is curious to me that they don't want to follow Torah! I think they don't because so many teachers have done their best to make it look like following Torah is a chore, that it takes away freedom, that it is somehow a lower way of life, and SOME even teach that it a SIN to do Torah. That is SO unfortunate! So sad.

Yes, most gentile believers have no conviction to follow Torah. Before I was a believer I thought that following Messiah would take away any happiness or joy. However, that is not true at all, even though I do not do any of the things the unbelievers find to satisfy their sinful desires.

Anyone who teaches that it is SIN do do Torah is either very mistaken or is in sin. As believers in Messiah we have freedom in some areas so that what is a great joy for one believer may not be so for another. For example, by observing Shabbat some believers find great joy but others, such as myself, might not. However, it is not for me to condemn you for doing so unless you are believing that you are gaining merit by doing so. If you are doing it out of love for G-d I must not judge you. On the other hand, many gentile believers such as myself have not come to appreciate Torah as a way of glorifying G-d. You have freedom to show use the right way of doing so.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
watch

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I wonder how the people in the audience felt when he advised against eating all these unhealthy food. People just don't seem to realize that God gives us certain commands because he knows what is best for us. A pig eats the same thing now as it used to eat in the old testament. Jesus dies on the cross to save sinners and not to make us free to eat whatever unhealthy meat we want. It just does not make sense for Jesus to do that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

SpiritDriven

Hello, my name Boris, I live Australia now but bfor was in Ruussia. Recently I become Christian (born agin) and I try to understand all things in Bible. My family never practice any religion, in Russia. So I not complete understand. My quesion is - why Chhristian not allowed eat pig? In Leviticuus 11 it say all animals like pig, kite, owl, moth 'detestable' which in my dictionary mean bad. SO: why god allow us to eat grasshoppr but not moth and pig? I like eating pig bvery much.

Thank you

Hello Boris....

Welcome to Aussie....there are a lot of other teachings around Christendom that are also false....that you need to be aware of...

Some of them are actualy listed in I Timothy 4, both directly and indirectly.

When you read I Timothy 4....God will reveal these false teachings to you in your heart so that you will know to avoid them.

Many people read scripture, but unless God does the revealing, they learn nothing...or are blinded.

Peace

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello, my name Boris, I live Australia now but bfor was in Ruussia. Recently I become Christian (born agin) and I try to understand all things in Bible. My family never practice any religion, in Russia. So I not complete understand. My quesion is - why Chhristian not allowed eat pig? In Leviticuus 11 it say all animals like pig, kite, owl, moth 'detestable' which in my dictionary mean bad. SO: why god allow us to eat grasshoppr but not moth and pig? I like eating pig bvery much.

Thank you
Hi, I realize that the OP is a little old,

but we Christians are not supposed to eat pork/pig/swine...
they are scavengers...they eat other meat

they will make you sick eventually.
Science and the Bible both agree with this fact.
God knew it and warned us ALL through the Word,
that pigs are bad to eat...
even in the New Testiment

Hi Boris, if your read the 14th chapter of Romans, you will see that we are allowed to eat whatever our faith enables us to eat. So if you believe it's alright to eat whatever you want, no one should condemn you for doing so. In short, I'm basically saying it's Ok to eat pig, since your faith allows you to.
na....it is OK in your mind because you have determined it OK...
but it is not a HELL issue, it is a health issue...

we are to give thanks for ALL foods that we receive to eat...
the ones that we are supposed to receive to eat, are layed out for us in Leviticus..

they do not include pork. Pork is not a food to be received by us...

Romans 14 is still speaking of "clean" foods only.....
some folks ate ONLY VEGGIES< and no meat at all...

that is the point being addressed...meat or no meat...not scavengers vs. beef.

we are not supposed to be eating unclean foods...
Jesus never did it, and neither did His disciples...nor should we.

Ah, thank you so much. Now I understand. bUT why it say one thing in that part of book and different in Roman 14? So god change his mind then? Anyway I am glad I can still eat pig WHEW! Actually I read Roman 14 now i UNderstand better, people who are weak cannot eat pig, if you are strong with strong faith then you can eat anything, so also it say if you eat pig with another man who is weak faith then you make that person stumble. SO still i cannot eat pig with weak-faith man or woman. Is ok for me because I have strong faith. THANK YOU BROTHER!
well, don't loose your Christianity because of health issues,
but we are the TEMPLE of God, and are supposed to be clean for Him to dwell in us...

the "food" is a type, meaning that we are only to intake clean food,
as we are only supposed to be taking in clean doctrine about Christ...

peace in Christ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
1 Timothy 4

1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3Forbidding to marry,
and commanding to abstain from meats,
which God hath created to be received
with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

the way I read the verse is God created all CLEAN foods to be RECEIVED
any of them is ok to eat, if thanksgiving is given...

scavengers are not given by God for us to receive...as food.

all creatures are indeed good, that God has given for us to receive as clean food.

and they are listed in Leviticus

this is the same thought as Rom14,
where
one group of believers would eat one set of clean foods including clean meats,

and another would eat a different set of CLEAN foods that did not include meat....they ate veggies/bread etc.

this is not saying that all animals are OK to eat...

vultures are not ok to eat...

God does not want us to eat vultures

or any other animals, in some cases many that will flat out kill you in a matter of mere seconds.

we are not to eat scavengers....which includes pigs/swine/pork.

Reactions: PROPHECYKID
Upvote 0

Crankitup

Fear nothing but God.
Apr 20, 2006
Perth, Australia
✟12,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi Shazam. I've read all of your posts here with interest and you make some valid points. Here's the way I see it.

I think we can all agree Christ said He came to fulfill the Law. Did Christ achieve His objective or did He fail? I believe that when He cried out on the cross "It is finished" and gave up the ghost, at that point, He achieved His objective.

Consider also that the passage from Matthew 5 that you have referred to, is only a snippet from His sermon on the mount. Immediately after saying "...whosoever teaches .." He gives list of commands for His disciples to follow. It is THESE commandments I believe Christ is referring to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crankitup

Fear nothing but God.
Apr 20, 2006
Perth, Australia
✟12,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TANGENT: GODS LAW DOES NOT CHANGE. EVERYONE PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT THE NEW TESTAMENT FREES CHRISTIANS FROM THE OLD LAW. Jesus said

Matt. 5:17-19:
"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all isfulfilled.”

IMO Jesus fulfilled the law and replaced it with a higher one.

ok back to the topic

The reason why God commanded us not to eat these animals is because their tissue, muscles, skin, etc is made of this muck and waste molecules they eat.

I understand all this and that's why I don't eat pork, or shellfish. Unless of course it was served to me in someone's home as a guest. I'd take the chance on my health rather than risk offending them.

Upvote 0

marktheblake

Aug 20, 2008
The Great South Land of the Holy Spirit
Visit site
✟16,359.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I understand all this and that's why I don't eat pork, or shellfish.

As a rule, i do not go out of my way to eat either for the exact health issue that is commonly known. I am not paranoid though either :) I think there is a big difference in the potential for harmful effects from pork today than was several thousand years ago.

I still think that God told the Israelites not to eat Pork for both health reasons and an educational reason. I havent studied this one at all but I beleive that all the Levitical laws served a purpose beyond the physical, the were also there to develop a mindset.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Just to clear up a bit of confusion.

If eating pork leads to illness and early death please tell that to my 90-year-old mother who has eaten pork her entire life.

The fact of the matter is that any improperly-prepared food can lead to illness and early death. Pork, when properly prepared, is perfectly safe and healthful to eat.

If being a scavenger is the reason for not eating something, then there are many foods which fall into that category beside the ones listed. These include many fish such as carp. BTW, carp is quite excellent when deboned. Many birds such as chickens (which are "clean") are notoriously filthy. If people only knew how disgusting chickens really are, they would never go near one.

The bottom line is that any "health" reason for avoiding certain foods is nonsense. If you don't want to eat certain foods for whatever reason, including religious, just don't hide your reason inside of pseudo-science.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Hi Shazam. I've read all of your posts here with interest and you make some valid points. Here's the way I see it.

I think we can all agree Christ said He came to fulfill the Law. Did Christ achieve His objective or did He fail? I believe that when He cried out on the cross "It is finished" and gave up the ghost, at that point, He achieved His objective.

Consider also that the passage from Matthew 5 that you have referred to, is only a snippet from His sermon on the mount. Immediately after saying "...whosoever teaches .." He gives list of commands for His disciples to follow. It is THESE commandments I believe Christ is referring to.
His objective was to fulfill the role laid out in scripture for the Lamb of God.

Upvote 0