Why are there so many different Christian denominations?

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is something I have often wondered about. All Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, right? So, why all the various Churches?
And why is Christianity right and not Islam or Judaism or Buddhism etc.?
Nobody is 100% right, I don't think it is within our current capacity. Because of this, some people are wrong. When people are wrong and determined to be so, there is disagreement. That is my impression of the cause denominational sharding. Of course, you can observe this within denominations and even at the individual level.

Whether Christianity is right or not is for you to decide in all honesty. Your decision depends entirely on what you know of it. Jesus said that God will send the helper in His name who will teach us and remind us of everything He has said. Islam doesn't provide that, Buddhism doesn't teach it, and if a Jew has it then I would expect them to be a Christian Jew.

Upvote 0
T

theophilus777

All Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, right? So, why all the various Churches?

It is possible to see this as both a good thing and a bad thing.

When Christianity was first practiced, most of them were content to just stay all huddled together, being Christian. There was little spread, except for a few active Apostles, most notably Paul and doubting Thomas. Well, God changed all that, displacing the huddled Christians from their homes. Then Christianity spread.

Denominational splits can be seen in that same light, too.

That's the good side. The bad part is when its mainly about somebody wanting to be in control. It can be really hard to tell the difference when you're right in the middle of it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This is something I have often wondered about. All Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, right? So, why all the various Churches?

Human beings have a fairly strong proclivity toward disagreeing and having differing opinions.

At any rate, denominationalism is a sort of strange feature of Protestantism. As a rule Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy aren't considered "denominations" as such, but rather "denominations" tends to describe the organizational structures within Protestantism.

I say "organizational structures" because even churches of the same theological tradition (e.g. Lutheranism) are split into various ecclesiastical bodies. My denomination is the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America), the second largest number of American Lutherans belong to the LCMS (Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod). Both the ELCA and LCMS are Lutheran; but we're different denominations of Lutheranism.

There is no single reason why this is. It's usually more helpful to investigate the history of each denomination and tradition to see how it developed within the broad spectrum of Christian history and tradition.

Going back to Lutheranism, Lutheranism came out of the 16th century Protestant Reformation. It would be easy to say, "Martin Luther broke away from the Catholic Church and started a new one" but that's not true. Luther didn't break away from the Catholic Church; Luther identified himself as a faithful Catholic, as did all the early Lutheran reformers. And then there's the term "Lutheran", it's misleading. Luther remarked once that it was terrible that "[Christians] should call themselves by my wretched name". "Lutheran" was an exonym. The term Luther and the other reformers used was "Evangelical" (German: "Evangelische", which is still the German word for "Protestant").

For Luther the goal was a reform of the Catholic Church from within, to reinvigorate the Church with the purity of the Christian Gospel (Greek: "Euangelion", the "Evangel" of "Evangelische").

However the result was that the Pope gave a bull of excommunication, and thus Luther was regarded by the powers that be in Rome as outside of the Church catholic; whereas Luther regarded the papacy itself to be outside of the Church catholic and such the papal bull worthless.

That meant schism, a severing. Luther and the evangelical reformers on the one side, and the Pope and papal supporters on the other. Both regarding themselves faithful Catholic Christians, and being faithful to the ancient catholic faith of the Apostles, Church Fathers, and Ecumenical Councils of the undivided (pre-1054 AD) Catholic Church.

But that's just one tradition within the umbrella group of "Protestantism". To understand then how there are now, for example in the United States, multiple Lutheran denominations it becomes more complicated. Lutheranism came to North America through waves of German and Scandinavian immigrants; mostly in the 1800s. These early Lutheran immigrant communities retained the culture of the homeland, their services were in their traditional tongue, and so forth. Homegrown Lutheran congregations developed, and eventually English dominated with succeeding generations.

The late 19th and early 20th century saw a rise of Liberalism in Europe, and it also made it to American shores, and it split Protestants of all sorts apart on various issues of theology and biblical practice. The 20th century saw an increase in social issues which created rifts along political and social lines in church bodies, and Lutheranism was no exception.

So these are all the sorts of circumstances that have--and continue--to develop the American Lutheran identity. Church-wide bodies split over social issues, and smaller church bodies rejoined with others to produce larger ones (the ELCA came about through a merger of several Lutheran bodies in the US).

And then there's the issue of ecumenical work, pan-ecclesiastical cooperation and work, etc. For example, the ELCA is a Lutheran denomination within the United States, but works in cooperation with Lutheran bodies from all over the world through, for example, the Lutheran World Federation. And thus functions within a larger Lutheran framework. The ELCA is also part of a global ecumenical body known as the World Council of Churches. Domestically, the ELCA also has what is known as "altar and pulpit fellowship" with several other mainline Protestant bodies, the Episcopal Church, the United Methodist Church, and the Presbyterian Church USA (maybe more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head).

And that's just Lutheranism and the ELCA.

Understanding the situation means there is no one size fits all. Instead one needs to understand the history and circumstances of each case.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Blue Box
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In my view, the thing to be explained isn't why there are differences among Christians. Most religions have quite a range of thought. The thing to be explained is why it has resulted in so many separate organizations. A summary is that it had to do with the specific historical situation in which Christianity developed, which led to the idea that the Church had to agree upon specific positions on speculative questions.

The Christian Church from very early defined itself by belief, and that quickly developed into a focus on fairly abstract doctrines. Most other religions focus on behavior and worship. But from fairly early, any significant difference in belief was considered unacceptable, and belief was elaborated in fairly complex philosophical terms. Why? I think a lot of it is that Christianity developed within an Empire that had rather different traditions. Christians felt the need to define Christian doctrines in a way that made sense to educated Romans, which meant using the terminology of neo-Platonism. Most other religions didn't develop in contexts quite like that. (Of course Indian thought includes quite sophisticated theology as well, and so do other traditions, but there wasn't quite the same need to circle the wagons around specific speculative doctrine.)

When Constantine made doctrinal standards enforceable by the State, the Church entered a period of more than 1000 years of theoretical monolithic doctrine. There were continuing dissents, but they were largely suppressed. When the Renaissance made conformity politically impossible to impose, the Church found itself in a difficult situation:

* Everyone agreed that it was not acceptable to tolerate disagreement on issues that outsiders would not consider that significant.
* It was not possible to enforce conformity
* There was no way to resolve conflict that didn’t result in ejection or persecution of the losers

The Catholic Church maintained its unity, but in my view at least in the US, its members tend to ignore its official positions. Consider that Catholics are at least as likely to accept homosexuals as secular humanists in the US, a deviation that occurs on many other issues as well. I’m actually not sure that I disagree with the de facto breadth of the Catholic Church, but the problem for me is that its nominal leadership still believes that conformity is essential.

Outside the Catholic Church, there is a history of denominations forming whenever there is a disagreement.

Further contributing to the situation is the fact that many Protestants consider the primary organization of the Church to be the local congregation. For many Protestants, national denominations are really conveniences to allow cooperation of congregations, but the existence of many denominations, and of congregations not affiliated with any of them, is simply not an issue.

For that reason, even in situations where there is reasonable agreement on doctrines, denominations have not necessarily merged.

In my view, the peak of Protestant divergence was in the 19th Cent. In the 20th Cent, I think there was a coalescing of Protestants around major families such as evangelical and mainline. They are defined, not by positions taken by a denomination, but by cross-denomination positions by groups such as the National Association for Evangelicals. As noted above, this hasn’t led to mergers between similar groups because Protestants don’t see organizational unity above the level of the congregation as essential.

It’s worth noting that despite all of this infighting there are very substantial agreements among Christians, quite likely as good agreement as in other major religions. Most people in CF will tell newcomers that it is not essential to find a single “right” denomination, but that following Christ is the priority. However I will admit that once that is said, there are significant differences among at least the three major strands of Christianity, which I think are Catholic/Orthodox, conservative Protestant, and mainline and liberal Protestant.

Reactions: Blue Box
Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't even know what my denom is so I might not be the best person to answer this. People understand things differently. For example, I still think as a Christian I need to observe the Sabbath to some degree, so right now I don't buy stuff on Sundays (Jewish Sabbath is Saturday, but I relax the rule by saying as long as I pick one day a week it is good). Most of my Christian friends observe Sabbath by.... Obeying Jesus, and not an actual day.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ephesians 4 talks about the church becoming perfected by coming to the "unity of the faith". There are a lot of Christians today, and I believe their numbers continue to increase exponentially, who don't care about secondary issues, but who focus on the primary issues of the person and completed work of Christ on our behalf, on our justification by grace through faith in it, and on how we walk this out. For them, denominations are little more than practical tools for organization and administration.

The modern charismatic movement, which began on new year's day 1900, and which focuses on the work of the Holy Spirit, has been prophesied to be a uniting force among the church extant, and this has already proven to be true. You can find videos on youtube of Fr. Cantalamessa, Vatican preacher to the papal household, affirming the pure gospel of grace to charismatic/evangelical Regent University, and assuring them that he is one of them and that this is the same gospel he has preached to three popes now - without being fired yet! You also can find the current pope sending blessings out to an charismatic/evangelical meeting led by, amazingly, Ken Copeland, and those blessings being returned.

The church is coming to the unity of the faith in the finished work of Christ, the fatherhood of God and the power of the Holy Spirit, and is leaving less important doctrinal distinctions behind. That is a good thing, and it is a necessary thing as the world, even the West, becomes a very dangerous place for Christians. If you want to see how the church works when it focuses on the basics while under duress, check out the history of the underground church in China over the past 70 years. There is an excellent series on youtube about it called The Cross, Jesus in China. Despite harsh persecution, the church there went from some 1 million to perhaps more than 120 million in that short time.

Why Christianity rather than Islam or Buddhism? With the understanding that Christianity is primarily about relationship with Jesus rather than a belief grid, in a nutshell I would tell you to read the Gospels and find out who Christ is and what He did. No other religion comes close. No other religion has such historical and prophetic support. So many have approached Jesus with aggressive intent to disprove, and come away believing.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1. Think of the Denominations as 'Styles' having typically a greater focus on a particular Tenet of the same historic Christianity . They ALL agree on the fundamental essentials of the Christian Faith , but may slightly differ on non essential issues . Roman Catholicism also has sects and its not just Protestantism . So long as you get into a Church that is MAINLINE Christian such as : Assembly of God, Baptist, Methodist, Nazarene, Church of Christ, etc.... you will be fine. Be aware that there are some Sects that claim to be Christian, but are not because they violate one or more of the essential doctrines of the historic Christian Faith ; some of those are : Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Universalist, the Mind Science sects , Bahia , etc...

2. Christianity is correct and ALL other world religions including competing secular philosophies such as Atheism, Humanism, Wicca, Islam, Buddhism, etc....are wrong . The reason being : Jesus Christ came to earth , claimed to fulfill prophecies made about his coming thousands of years prior / claimed that he was the Son of God / claimed he would resurrect from the dead .... then fulfilled all of those things to which there is more historical and archeological scientific evidence than for any other person or literary work of antiquity (namely : The New Testament of the Bible ) . , including eye witness accounts of over 500 people . No other Religious Leader claimed to actually be the Creator of the Universe ...they only claimed to be a SpokesPerson for/of God , they didn't perform any miracles, and they didn't live an impeccable moral life without sin as Jesus did.
That is why Christianity is the true way to God , and no other is.

If a Person wants to know the Creator / their very Creator...and spend eternity with him right after this short life, then it is imperative that they do precisely as Jesus instructed them to do by receiving his finished Calvary atoning merits upon Ones sin account , repent of any lifestyle sins, and allow God to change the Person inwardly so they can live for God and serve God and Others as evidence that a true conversion has taken place. Jesus said You MUST be born again...meaning you must surrender your authority to his authority over your life , then to be a useful Vessel to himself and the work he has for you to do. If you do this, heaven is yours (present tense) and you will live a fulfilled , enriched, meaningful life because you put God first and yourself second. It does require overcoming Ones Pride to do this, but, it is well worth it to gain eternal life and a real purpose filled earthly life .

The choice is ours.

Upvote 0

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian

Zen Buddhism

There are stories in Buddhism where the power of resurrection was "allegedly" demonstrated in Chan or Zen tradition. One is the legend of Bodhidharma, the Indian master who brought the Ekayana school of India to China that subsequently became Chan Buddhism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection#Zen_Buddhism
Surat 'Āli `Imrān 3.3 quron

Sahih International
He has sent down upon you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming what was before it. And He revealed the Torah and the Gospel.
http://quran.com/3/3
1 corinthians 15:6
King James Bible
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

John 14:6King James Version (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Jesus raises the Dead
Mark 5:35-41
35 While he yet spake, there came from the ruler of the synagogue's house certain which said, Thy daughter is dead: why troublest thou the Master any further?

36 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

37 And he suffered no man to follow him, save Peter, and James, and John the brother of James.

38 And he cometh to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, and seeth the tumult, and them that wept and wailed greatly.

39 And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

40 And they laughed him to scorn. But when he had put them all out, he taketh the father and the mother of the damsel, and them that were with him, and entereth in where the damsel was lying.

41 And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.

42 And straightway the damsel arose, and walked; for she was of the age of twelve years. And they were astonished with a great astonishment.

43 And he charged them straitly that no man should know it; and commanded that something should be given her to eat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Different theologies and understandings, but we are all one in Christ.

Why is Christianity right? Because it is the truth.

Upvote 0

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
Different theologies and understandings, but we are all one in Christ.

Why is Christianity right? Because it is the truth.

christianity
.about.com/od/denominations/p/christiantoday.htm
Christianity Christian Denominations and Faith Movements ... there are approximately 41,000 Christian denominations and organizations in the world. ... However, there are more than 1500 different Christian faith groups in North America.

Matthew 16:18

King James Bible
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Acts 2:47King James Version (KJV)
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Romans 16:16
16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Upvote 0

Masihi

love based faith is truer than fear based faith
Aug 26, 2010
✟16,803.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
After reading the posts on the delineation of currently existing denominations, i thought of only adding the following. If you were to review just one Biblical verse, a Word of Jesus, with someone near to you, im sure you would both have different opinions as to its interpretation. Neither of you would be wrong because Gd speaks to each of us differently, thus the saying "the Word of God is Living". And so now you know why there are different denominations.

There are many independent churches with lone pastors that mean well but function without the support of a large council. There are churches that attempt to follow the Bible to the letter and are part of a larger base of churches. The latter is the best church to belong to.

Upvote 0

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
After reading the posts on the delineation of currently existing denominations, i thought of only adding the following. If you were to review just one Biblical verse, a Word of Jesus, with someone near to you, im sure you would both have different opinions as to its interpretation. Neither of you would be wrong because Gd speaks to each of us differently, thus the saying "the Word of God is Living". And so now you know why there are different denominations.

There are many independent churches with lone pastors that mean well but function without the support of a large council. There are churches that attempt to follow the Bible to the letter and are part of a larger base of churches. That is the best church to belong to.

We are the creation of the Word of God
John 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made

Christ Jesus add's you to his church
Acts 2:47
King James Bible
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
Acts 2:42-47King James Version (KJV)
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Romans 16:16
16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of Christ greet you

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I started noticing that seemingly, Mormonism or Jehovah Witnesses are are very uniform the world over, as I understand the situation. Christians are not that way. They divide and subdivide into what are called denominations. It occurred to me that non-christians, including the two examples I mentioned, don't have to be concerned about whether the doctrine they learn or practice is true or not; if the head church puts out a decree to practice that is simply what the non-christians practice.

Christians are much different because they know their entire future depends on the decision they make on earth before they depart. If they are correct they go to heaven for eternity and if they are incorrect they suffer condemnation and eternal torment.

The stakes are much higher as the Christian knows they can't afford to be wrong. I am sure these ideas are a factor in the emergence of new denominations.

I don't think it can explain the Westboro Baptists, and I will exclude them from consideration.

As to why is Christianity right and not Islam or Judaism or Buddhism ... this is well researched and the results are public and very convincing. Some people approach it like a lawyer making a case for Christianity in a court of law. The seeker can do nothing but what people before him have done, which is to weigh the evidence.

Once a person begins a walk of faith, they can probably observe changes in their life that they would not have imagined happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
1 Corinthians 3:4-6 King James Version (KJV)
4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain

Am I of luther? am I of baptist? am I of another men's doctrine?

Or...
Matthew 16:18 King James Version (KJV)
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Romans 16:16 King James Version (KJV)
16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain

Upvote 0

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
After reading the posts on the delineation of currently existing denominations, i thought of only adding the following. If you were to review just one Biblical verse, a Word of Jesus, with someone near to you, im sure you would both have different opinions as to its interpretation.
LOVE
1 Corinthians 13

3 And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profiteth me nothing.

Upvote 0

Masihi

love based faith is truer than fear based faith
Aug 26, 2010
✟16,803.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Case in point,
Mathew 16.18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Someone could say the rock is actually the person Peter.
Another could say the rock is a reference to the rock as described by Daniel.
Another could say the rock is the reply given by Peter "Thou art the Christ, the son of the living God"
Another could say the rock is faith as Peter demonstrated.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Different unique psychological needs, will yield interpretations, that fit each psychological need.

Upvote 0